• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:20 AM

Some of you may have actually experienced this, so I'm looking for insight for future occurrences.

My FWC Hawk/Ford F150 combo was parked on my lot near Fairplay while I was spending the summer in my cabin on said lot.

On Monday the temps were in the mid 70s and 5-10 inches of snow was predicted for Tuesday. Tuesday we got 10 inches of snow between 2pm and 10 pm, temps dropped to low 30s high 20s. No worries, I'm nice and cozy in my cabin.

So today I go out to the FWC/F150 and start sweeping of the snow. The camper is closed, but even with a full length broom I can't sweep the snow off the roof. I thought about getting my step ladder, but I thought that I should try to remove the snow as if I was camping. Couldn't do it, even tried driving forward and braking hard to shift the snow,....... no joy.

So here's my problem, it is not inconceivable, that I could have been in the backcountry camping, when this happened. There was no way to raise the roof with 10 inches of dry, powder, snow on it. Had the roof been up, I don't know if I would have been able to safely lower the roof with that amount of weight.

So what have others done????

If set up already, do you lower one end of the roof, every hour or so and hope the snow slides off? And pray if it doesn't slide off you're able to raise the roof back up.

Do you hope you're alone, drop the roof and sleep in sleuth mode?

Thoughts please.

Thanks

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,590 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:26 AM

I've successfully used a roof rake, aka, snow rake, to remove snow from the roof of my camper. The one I got has a long enough extension to reach the roof.

_DSC7326.jpg

And it breaks down into pieces small enough to fit inside the camper.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:18 AM

. . .

So here's my problem, it is not inconceivable, that I could have been in the backcountry camping, when this happened. There was no way to raise the roof with 10 inches of dry, powder, snow on it. Had the roof been up, I don't know if I would have been able to safely lower the roof with that amount of weight.

So what have others done????

I repurposed my rock climbing etriers (webbing ladder) to get access to the roof when down.  I haven't needed it for snow but for wet leaves on the solar panels.  The etrier and 15' of webbing fit in a tiny stuff sack.

I have lowered the roof with 4 inches of wet snow with the speaker jack with no problem; wouldn't try to lift with that additional weight on the roof.

With solar panels, MaxxFan, and cell booster antenna on the roof, using a roof rake blind would be awkward and possibly damage something.  I would use my telescoping 3' windshield brush for snow removal.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2020 - 03:43 AM

We were in Yosemite once and it snowed about 8-10 inches overnight. No way could we drop the roof with that load on it. It would crash down the instant I popped the bifold panels and billow out the canvas sides. We tied a towel around a rope and dragged it across the roof to remove as much snow as possible. Not efficient and took a while. Once we thought it would be manageable we dropped the roof. Still had the sides blow out, but with the roof lower we were able to remove more of the snow, relift it, and drop it properly. Granted this was with two people. If you are solo, only a rake like Mark noted above would work.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:00 PM

i always carry a telescopic ladder with me, i have used it to remove snow, open window flaps and i have had to put a tarp over the roof on another camper. i use a brush on a pole when i am up there to remove the snow.

i also carry 6 pieces of plywood about four inches wide to put by the walls to help support the roof if it snows

belts and suspenders i guess

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#6 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:22 PM

All good ideas, but I can't see carrying a roof snow rake, unless I was going camping and I knew it would snow, plus with 2 100 watt solar panels, yakima racks, 2 roof vents and a Bat wing awning, the rake might get hung up or damage something.

But I wonder if a stiff push broom in combination with the etriers might work. I don't have any etriers, but have plenty of long and short web slings from my climbing days which I could fashion into a web ladder.

I do have a speaker stand lift, and I never thought of using it to lower the roof, duh.... have only used it to raise the roof, so that would help.

I have a 6 ft collapsible ladder, but again I don't take it in the truck camper, seems like I'd rarely use it except for cleaning snow or the solar panels.

Great comments, appreciate them. As always, its a compromise whether to carry everything that you might only need once in awhile or go light and make do. 

Thanks

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#7 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:37 PM

Found a company that makes a bent roof rake, but they are super spendy. They have other roof rakes which look pretty slick too.

https://avalanche-sn...t/big-rig-rake/

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:03 AM

They make plastic roof rakes that don't scratch paint.

I will stand on the roof of the cab to reach the front to mid portion of the camper roof with whatever I have handy. Maybe not the safest but works quite well. *Note do this before you turn the truck on or the snow may slide off the warm truck as you climb around.

I am very leery of driving with snow on the camper. The bouncing can put a lot of stress on the roof. I have seen a Jeep Wrangler break its fiberglass hard top after driving across a rough parking lot with a heavy snow load on top.

Although if I know there will be any considerable amount of snow I will put the back half of the camper roof down and let the snow slide off the back.

Edited by Kolockum, 11 September 2020 - 04:04 AM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:00 PM

My plan is to use a telescoping ladder to allow me to stand up above the roof and then use a short broom or brush to clear snow.  I've not used it yet because I usually drive the SUV up to the mountains to go skiing.

https://www.amazon.c...la-666005172444

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#10 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:54 AM

Hey Larry,

My Granby and I live in Fairplay too.

I upgraded my struts from 30lb to 40lb. Easy job and makes a big difference to raising and lowering.

I have had quite a bit of snow on mine and never really had an issue. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow, roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users