Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:25 AM

Is anyone using this combo (bed mount)?

Hit a pothole hard today on a rough dirt road, and all four of the dealer Installed turnbuckles opened up and fell off. I think spring loading would have avoided this.

Thx,

Charlie

#2 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:01 PM

What do you mean by "opened up"? Did the hooks bend?

#3 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:49 PM

Yep, the hooks were bent so that they weren’t hooks anymore. The ends were more like a right angle, and so they wouldn’t stay hooked to the eye bolt. Using the hammer (that my wife insisted we carry:-), we were able to close them up enough to get us on the road again.

#4 OffTheGridMaps

OffTheGridMaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWhitefish, MT

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:53 PM

I have an 03 Tundra that already had external (frame mounted) Torklift tie downs and Toklift fast guns from a previous camper we owned.  When I bought my 05 Eagle last year, since I already had invested in the external tie downs, I chose not to install the internal tie downs.  That being said, in about 4 years of use, I have never had an issue with the spring loaded fastguns, and hear them squeaking (slightly.. if the windows are down) when we are driving down bumpy roads.  So I know the spring loaded tie downs are doing their job and expanding/compressing while we are driving.

Folks with internal tie downs have mentioned the Torklift Derringer handles on the forum, but I don't think they are spring loaded, they just make tightening down the turnbuckles easier.

2005 FWC Eagle | 2003 Toyota Tundra

OffTheGridMaps.com - Maps of Montana's best outdoor recreation activities

#5 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the details. Torklift makes a shorter version of their Fastgun for bedmount installations, but it seems to me that they cant go short enough. Their minimum length is 14.5”. I measured my installation, and it seems that I need something as short as 13”.

#6 wandern

wandern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:56 PM

I've mounted my FWC with Torklift Fastguns (I normally use them for a much larger truck camper), but I prefer the sleek lines and narrower profile of the bed-mounted tie-downs.

I installed forged eye bolts and forged clevis-end and hook-end turnbuckles with jam nuts, which completely eliminate the risk of tie-down breakage.  That being said, don't crank the turnbuckles down tight- the camper and/or bed will become the weak link in the system.

#7 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

What truck and camper do you have?

I see reports like this and wonder, because there are as many reports of people that never have a problem.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#8 Jon&Sue_DeArman

Jon&Sue_DeArman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Washington

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

Way too fast for the tracks they are on.

#9 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:16 PM

I use the Fast Guns with a forged treaded ring. Since install, never had them come loose. Turn buckles thrown away a long time ago.

#10 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:36 AM

I use the Fast Guns with a forged treaded ring. Since install, never had them come loose. Turn buckles thrown away a long time ago.

exactly! Why chance loosing your whole rig?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tiedowns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users