• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

I ordered my Propex HS2000 from Westy Ventures. Checking their website they are referring customers to Vancafe for Propex furnaces. During my ATC Panther shell build I had Marty pre-install the thru hull flue fitting near the bottom of the stove cabinet exiting the rear wall to save me the trouble of reto-fitting it later. 

Attached Thumbnails

• exhhaust port - 1.jpg

Edited by Ronin, 13 September 2020 - 08:32 AM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#12 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:35 PM

I should clarify, that when I drilled thru the floor of my Eagle and Ranger, the Eagle was bolted through the bed of the truck and NEVER, came off, I'm a full-time RVer, and my truck is my every day driver and is towed behind my motorhome. So I agree with Vic, if your camper is not bolted on and permanent, than the floor is probably not a good option

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#13 Styx2015

Styx2015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

I ordered my Propex HS2000 from Westy Ventures. Checking their website they are referring customers to Vancafe for Propex furnaces. During my ATC Panther shell build I had Marty pre-install the thru hull flue fitting near the bottom of the stove cabinet exiting the rear wall to save me the trouble of reto-fitting it later. 

Aha! This is the solution I was searching for! Do you have pictures of how the heater is mounted and plumbed on the inside, as well as how you routed the ducting?

#14 Styx2015

Styx2015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

Not the floor, unless you are never removing the camper, and can guarantee it will not shift!

This makes stupid sense to me now. Didn't think of it before.

#15 Styx2015

Styx2015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

I should clarify, that when I drilled thru the floor of my Eagle and Ranger, the Eagle was bolted through the bed of the truck and NEVER, came off, I'm a full-time RVer, and my truck is my every day driver and is towed behind my motorhome. So I agree with Vic, if your camper is not bolted on and permanent, than the floor is probably not a good option

So, allow me to go off on a tangent. Bolting your camper to the truck using the bed bolts. I assume your camper was designed to be mounted this way. My Falcon was also designed this way. However, FWC told me that the most secure method of mounting would be using their tie down bracket kit and turnbuckles and installing attachment points on the floorpack of the camper for the upper hook of the turnbuckles. 

Is bolting the camper to the truck using the bed bolts a perfectly acceptable way to mount? Does it hold up to off-road use? We will also have the camper mounted permanently and living out of it for long periods. Are the turnbuckle mounts just for those who want to remove their camper more frequently?

#16 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:04 AM

Sorry,I don't have pics of the actual install. Here's a pic of the install diagram that came with the Propex. A 2nd pic showing the lower portion of my stove cabinet. I installed a shelf about 12" above the floor where the furnace sits. In the diagram the "sill of vehicle" is the rear wall of the camper. In the Pic of my cabinet the hot air outlet faces towards the front of the camper where the clothes pin is. The vent for the air inlet faces drivers side towards passenger side. The louvre on the left is for venting hot air in the cabinet. The combustion air and flue pipe exits under the shelf and connects to the thru hull flue fitting at the rear wall near the floor. 

I seldom take pics of my mods as it's all I can do to keep focused on figuring things out. Hope this gives you a visual of my install. I've seen other installs and there are variations on how it can be done depending on the location.

Attached Thumbnails

• propex - 1.jpg
  • propex - 1 (1).jpg

#17 Styx2015

Styx2015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

Sorry,I don't have pics of the actual install. Here's a pic of the install diagram that came with the Propex. A 2nd pic showing the lower portion of my stove cabinet. I installed a shelf about 12" above the floor where the furnace sits. In the diagram the "sill of vehicle" is the rear wall of the camper. In the Pic of my cabinet the hot air outlet faces towards the front of the camper where the clothes pin is. The vent for the air inlet faces drivers side towards passenger side. The louvre on the left is for venting hot air in the cabinet. The combustion air and flue pipe exits under the shelf and connects to the thru hull flue fitting at the rear wall near the floor. 

I seldom take pics of my mods as it's all I can do to keep focused on figuring things out. Hope this gives you a visual of my install. I've seen other installs and there are variations on how it can be done depending on the location.

This all looks highly logical, and I like the use of the thru-hull fitting on the back wall of the camper. Makes sense. Does the louvered vent also serve as your method of "return air" which the Propex utilizes? Do you find that you have sufficient air circulation with the placement of your air inlet and outlet vents?

#18 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:01 AM

This all looks highly logical, and I like the use of the thru-hull fitting on the back wall of the camper. Makes sense. Does the louvered vent also serve as your method of "return air" which the Propex utilizes? Do you find that you have sufficient air circulation with the placement of your air inlet and outlet vents?

Sorry- the hot air vent is the one upper right in relationship to the louvre. The other vent is the air inlet. The louver is for venting the cabinet. I'd say the hot air volume is somewhat minimal but it gives you a nice gentle heat. 

#19 Styx2015

Styx2015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:22 PM

Yep, I'm following. You have unheated air entering the round vent that faces the passenger side wall, heated air exiting the round vent by the clothesline, and any additional heat generated by the unit itself is allowed to flow through the rectangular louver into the camper and be utilized to heat up the air as well. I think it's great! Retains as much energy for as high of efficiency as possible and also provides air circulation in the camper by placement of the air inlet and outlet.

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:52 PM

Check out my questions on the Hawk install here -

https://www.wanderth...e-2#entry202681

https://www.wanderth...ke/#entry208215

https://www.wanderth...es/#entry197937

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Falcon, heater, propex, camco, dometic, furnace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users