19 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:29 PM

A couple of weeks ago we enjoyed a day hike close to home, our backyard. I have the story with photos completed and it can be found on our blog here -

Two Peaks - August 2020

We hope you enjoy tagging along with us and don't get to coughing too badly or start looking for ticks. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the trip and info on markers.

I always like to find the survey markers

when we get out on a hike and the tree markers that

show what section of the area you are in.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:40 AM

Love how you two manage to get away from the crowds!

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:42 AM

Doesn't appear to be a SOTA summit. Definitely long pants country.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the trip and info on markers.

I always like to find the survey markers

when we get out on a hike and the tree markers that

show what section of the area you are in.

Frank

Frank, thanks for the kind comment. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

Love how you two manage to get away from the crowds!

Yup, I didn't mention it in the narrative, but the folks on mules quite a distance away were the only people we saw on a busy Saturday in the Sierra Nevada. Just what we were looking for.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:28 PM

Doesn't appear to be a SOTA summit. Definitely long pants country.

Yes, indeed! I look at the photos and can immediately smell the dusty scent of huckleberry oak.

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:46 PM

Nice to have such an enjoyable hike nearby!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:09 PM

Thanks, as always, for the fine TR.  My favorites of your TRs are those in which you teach about old-school land navigation using USGS topos and a compass.

In this one, I gladly learned about the origins of the PLSS.  I had thought the processes had been originated after Thomas Jefferson, as POTUS, sent Lewis and Clark out for a look-see up the Missouri River, so along about 1805-1806 or so. It's very cool to find out its origins were some 20 years earlier.

Some of the founders and early prominent citizens were surveyors: some good, some not so good.  George Washington was a surveyor. Thomas Jefferson was the son of Peter Jefferson, one of the surveyors who cut the state line between North Carolina and Virginia all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Cumberland Gap. Washington and Peter Jefferson were two of the good surveyors. Then came Daniel Boone providing many, many surveys of land in Kentucky and later in Missouri.  Boone apparently "shingled" so many tracts so badly that he was dogged for his entire life by litigation resulting from his work.

There is a group of reenactors who appear at festivals/fairs in the garb of PLSS surveyors' and have a plethora of tools, instruments, and equipment used in the PLSS days.  I had a ball talking with them at Bannack Days, Bannack, Montana back in 2010 or 2011.  

Foy--bogged down in old English "metes and bounds" North Carolina, and son and grandson of civil engineers who made a living surveying.

#10 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:51 PM

Very nice! Great pics! Wondering why we don’t see you in the pics ? Lol. Again thanks for sharing such incredible adventures and educating us about the natural world. I forwarded the survey makers to my brother in law he is a master survivor. H e lives for these things!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users