17 replies to this topic

#1 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

I have a 2016 Tacoma and am shopping for a used FWC Fleet but need new tires for the winter.  Am looking to buy BFG K02's but wondering which one.  I currently run stock 265/65/r17 and wonder if the C tire will suffice or if I need to ramp it up.  We do poke around off road but will not be hard core off roading.  The reading I have done seems an E rated tire may be overkill and guzzle gas - a D tire sounds like a sweet spot but is limited in sizes - closest i can find on their webiste is a 255/65/17 and wonder if that would be ok.  I also plan to add some airbags to help with the weight.  Thanks

#2 Cottonww

Cottonww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:47 PM

I recommend BFG 10 ply AT's. The main thing with the camper is be sure to have 10 ply.

#3 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

Looks like a 10 ply would be Load Range E (see Tire Rack chart attached).  If you end up with a shell Fleet maybe you need less tire.  However your tire load rating should exceed your axle rating (rear) by a suitable safety margin.  Hopefully your ultimate rig is under that too.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#4 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

here is the chart i found at Tire Rack..

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 9.40.19 AM.png

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#5 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

Right - thanks - Just want to make sure I dont buy something too big as realistically the amount I will be in rough terrain will be relatively small compared to the daily driving I will do.  I also need something snow flake rated and from my reading the D tire is a dual compound tire which does comply but the E rated is a single (harder) compund and not snow flake rated.

From what I can see the only D rated K02 near my size is a 255/65/17 according to the BFG Canadian website.

#6 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:11 PM

I run 265/70/17 E rated KO2’s on my Tacoma.  The E rated tires are stiffer than stock and the little extra sidewall makes the ride a bit softer when the camper is off.  It is close enough to stock that I can use the standard  spare if I can not repair the tire on the truck.  I have been happy with the tire.  Have 35,000 miles on them and they still look close to new.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:43 PM

E rated helps with handling.  Less squirmy/mushy feeling with all that weight on the back.  I run Yokohama Geolander A/T G015's on my truck in Calgary ... summer and winter.  Does well off road (gravel) too

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:56 AM

If you get one of the lighter optioned Fleets, after running the numbers on ours I was ok with the stock Kevlar tires, P rated. However we lots of off road nasty stuff so bought KO2 E rated for durability. I was surprised that there was no gas mileage penalty, didn’t notice a noise problem or harsh handling. And we changed pressure from 35/35 to 45/55 for the E rated tires.

Do you drive fast? We drive slow and I would have stuck with stock tires if not for punctures on sharp rocks.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:34 PM

Interesting stuff, especially the fuel economy stays the same - thanks all - I dont drive fast but not totally slow either.  Anyone know if the E rated tire has is snow flake rated?.  For sure sharp rock puncture could be a consideration but tires need to be snow flake rated.

#10 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

My KO2's are snow flake rated.  They have been fine in the snow, but not as good as a dedicated snow tire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users