17 replies to this topic

#11 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:39 PM

My KO2's are snow flake rated.  They have been fine in the snow, but not as good as a dedicated snow tire.

Are they the C or E rated?

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

Yes, mine are snowflake rated, and actually very good in snow and ice. Not Blizzak like, but good enough for going skiing and snowshoeing

#13 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:38 PM

Kerschbaumer, They are E rated.

#14 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:49 PM

Great- thanks

#15 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:38 PM

Its seems unanimous - E rated it is then. 

Side question - you guys feel the Taco handles the weight of a loaded fleet ok? - got enough power and can handle load ok?  I am thinking stock suspension but add air bags.

#16 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

I have a 2011 Tacoma access cab with all optioned Fleet.  My power is adequate for the combo.  I have heard from quite a few owners of newer Taco’s that the newer gearing is not as good.  You can see at least one thread on here of gearing change.

Suspension is weak for the weight.  I take the Fleet off for the winter and a few other times a year so just have Firestone air bags which allows me to adjust for those changes easily.  If I kept it on all year would get tuned springs for the weight with airbags, but hated the rough ride of previous truck with that set up when camper was off.

Breaking is adequate but when I needed brakes I upgraded to ARB slotted rotors and green pads which improved braking without the huge cost of big brake kits.

Upgraded to E rated tires both for the weight and to get added sidewall protection for those logging roads with larger sharp rocks that I like to drive on to get to some of the best fishing spots.

When my shocks get bad will upgrade those also.  Partly because they get pretty hot at times and because it will get rid of some of the bounce you get from air bags alone.

Gas tank is not always adequate in size but easy to carry extra gas between front of camper and truck to add capacity.

We are not heavy, nor own a Saint Bernard and don’t pack heavy - truck is about 300 pounds overweight so this combination works for us with the modifications I have made.  If someone does pack a lot more weight in the camper or builds it into the truck in bumpers, winches and rock guards the Taco may not be the best way to go.  May be more difficult now with Covid, but the best way for you to tell if all the handling fits for you is to find someone whois willing to let you drive their rig.  Then you will know.

#17 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:26 PM

That is all fantastic information. - thankyou.  I am looking to find a sweet spot to make it work without building up an expensive off road rig.  I will save that for my long term dream of a bigger truck with camper that has a shower and toilet.  For now just want something to hit the road on summer camp trips and maybe a run to moab with the mountian bikes.

#18 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:47 PM

As has been mentioned, you have to do a lot to a Taco just to get it up to adequate to haul any reasonable load. 

As for tires, from everything I've read, it always seems to devolve down to three really good options, all E rated, all triple peak/snowflake, KO2s, Cooper AT3s and Falken Wildpeaks. You will find rabid fanboys of all three. Personally, I went from the AT3 to the Wildpeak. This is a decision though where there isn't a bad choice. It'll boil down to personal intangibles like aesthetics and if you care where they are made. 

Have fun!!!

Edited by eyemgh, 22 September 2020 - 07:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users