15 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Frank for the nice comment. We have a friend who guides and has led many trips out of Kennedy Meadows into the Emigrant Wilderness. I didn't know about Little House on the Prairie. We do know that the 1943 film, For Whom the Bell Tolls with Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman was filmed near the top of Sonora Pass. Wow, you get Hemingway, classic film actors, and the High Sierra! :)

Thanks Ski.Kennedy Meadows is a great place to walk through to get to Relief Reservoir.

Our first time there was back in 1977 I carried our daughter in a backpack frame form our

campsite at Deadman along the river up into Relief Res area.

Great memories.Seema that this year is mostly filled with memories.

Also the TV show Little House on the Prairie used that area for some scenes.

There used to be a 3/4 cabin that was out in the meadow need the river.

Sonora pass is a great drive.Have enjoyed it many times over the years.

Frank

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:37 PM

Thanks, Vic. You are very kind!

Thanks for all that typing/info.  Super stoked that your eyes have improved!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 October 2020 - 01:35 AM

I very much enjoy your trip reports.  you two are very lucky to live so close, to so much fantastic country !  you may have stated previously, but what camera do you use?.  i just got back from a 'hunting' trip in cental/eastern oregon, and  that was a 4-5 hr drive.  nice drive though.  my hunting now is 99% hiking about in the woods.

fyi - buying/ordering gear for my ocelot build. everything is wks out, but camper is not scheduled until late feb.

Oregon

#14 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:59 AM

Great report. Smoke was bad in Colorado from 4 fires and smoke from California, Oregon, and Washington. Thanks for another interesting report.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#15 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:03 AM

[emoji106][emoji106]

5) You mention that "We left the trail and wandered the expanse of the meadows" I'm sure that fits in with the local trail etiquette, and I am surprised to hear it anyway. Leaving trails in the Canadian Rockies leads to permanent "braiding" of the trails or plant/flower damage. What is the thinking/situation where you are?
Vic, this is a great question. If there is a trail to where you are going - and most times there are - stay on the trail. Do not widen it by walking side by side. Do not cut switch backs. Do not create short cuts. In pristine areas and we're going cross country - we spread out so not to beat in a new user trail and we stay on hard surfaces as much as possible. We do our best to leave no trace. The Leavitt Meadows area is heavily used. There are several user created trails dropping down to the West Walker River. We do our best not to create new impacts. Much of our wandering was along the gravel bars on the river's edge. We pay attention to vegetation and also wildlife's needs, so as to impact as little as possible with our travels. Great question that brings to the fore the ethical side of our travels.
6) Finally, I had to laugh when I read "Breakfast was simple back at the camper - goatmeal, fresh peaches from our trees, and granola." Seriously, is goatmeal a custom version of oatmeal that you make, or a term of affection, or???? :D :rolleyes:
goatmeal is oatmeal. We love the stuff with fresh fruit and granola. It gives Julie the energy to climb like a mountain goat so it became goatmeal. Just like liquor is called "loudmouth", and budweiser is called "buttwiper," and binoculars are "see mores," pronghorn are "speed goats" (William Clark came up with that one), coyotes are "song dogs," rattlers are "buzz worms." And so it goes.

By the way, how are the eyes?
Remarkably well. I am very lucky, thankful, and pleased. The eyesight will be forever different, but the brain adapts and adjusts. I'm learning to live with what I have and getting along fine. Julie has noticed I'm spotting birds in flight and identifying them. One early morning on our Oregon backcountry trip in June, we were walking. I stopped the Lady and said, "Use your see mores. About 250 yards out in the brush against the cliff, I believe there is a large animal just inside the brush. It just turned its head." Julie confirmed it was a coyote. That was the moment I realized I'm doing pretty darn well.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:12 AM

Thanks jd! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users