30 replies to this topic

#11 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:47 PM

Ya I totally agree on the 3/4 ton. That’s why I’m looking at be ram power wagon 2500 or ford tremor. Do ya’ll think the mpg between 3/4 ton trucks is negligible? Or do some have substantial better mpg. For major road trips it’s hard to stomach 12mpg not weighted and probably 8-10mpg with a loaded camper

#12 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

I’ll just add this. Pay attention to the weight ratings, particularly with the truck options included as each option adds weight and takes away from what all the makes claim for payload capacity. Also what your camper is actually going to weigh with options, gear, food, water, etc. Then throw in passenger weight. You’ll be surprised at how it adds up.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#13 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:53 PM

i really like the tremor and the power wagon, may buy a buddies PW as my daily. Would not go with either for a truck camper. The PW doesn't have a lot of payload, not too sure of the tremor. When i put mine together i researched a lot, then chose the truck that had the minimum needed suspension wise. Then began building the truck up to handle the camper and still perform off-road as well as i wanted.

i feel i actually saved money this way and like the way the truck came out.

Either would most likely work, and i see people with them and tc's out here and there, but most of the pw's i see with campers have airbags on them too, i have seen a bunch of the prospectors that have a lot of the pw parts added but have a leaf spring rear as well.

Good luck.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#14 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

"12mpg not weighted and probably 8-10mpg with a loaded camper" We have a 2012 F250, 6.2 gas/Hawk. On our last trip from Texas to Tenn, N.C., Virginia and Back home, we saw as low as 11mpg(mountain driving). Got home and the computer said overall trip avg was 12.8mpg. I do the speed limit on back roads but run 70+ on in terstates.

#15 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:07 PM

I have a 2013 F150 Supercab with an ATC Ocelot camper on it.  Just got back from a trip to the San Juans in Colorado and averaged 15.7 mpg (interstate, two lane roads and dirt forest service roads in the mountains).  I bought my truck years before I even thought of buying a camper.  While my setup works for me, my wife and our two dogs, if I had to do it over again, I would have bought a 350/3500 series truck.  I am at payload currently and would prefer the mental comfort and safety of knowing that I have payload to spare with a one ton and the brakes to stop it.  Just me.

#16 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:42 PM

Where are you going off-road that you need a PW or Tremor? If you're doing crazy stuff like I do, I could see it, otherwise I'd go with either the RAM with a Cummins or an FX4 250 with the 7.3. Build the rest as needed, and budget like $6k for suspension.

The PW or Tremor (gas) is going to yield right around 11. Thats what I average running around empty (9,400). Pulled a 7k boat this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. More confident about making the trek from Phoenix to Lake Powell next year. :-)

See the build that TFL Offroad did with their 250/Hawk combo, and if you search you can also see a video of my rig there too.

Edited by Oilbrnr, 05 October 2020 - 11:43 PM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#17 JackLab

JackLab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:57 PM

New to site, new Tundra crewmax limited TRD owner, just ordered Raven FWC. I've seen Tundras with Raven FWC in photos. What rear suspension changes have other Tundra owners done to handle weight, FWC 1250# dry as ordered? I don't plan on extreme offroad travel and will only have FWC on for part of the year, daily driver the balance of year. Had 2015 F250 diesel to pull 30' airstream, lots of trips, worked well for that but as daily driver, rough ride, 270K miles later, wanted smaller camper/smoother ride, sold both. 

FYI: my payload capacity test: strapped in a 250 gal tote centered in the bed and added 175 gal of water which is 1457# plus tote weight of 50#(+-) and drove the truck on at highway speed. too much weight. reduced to 157 gal, 1307# plus tote weight of 50#(+-) and drove the truck on at highway speed. manageable, not great, still too much rear sag.

Add a leaf kit, all new leaf springs, air bags, sumo springs/timbren?

Any recommendations others have found successful / unsuccessful or thoughts?

Thanks

#18 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:21 PM

I had a 2007 Tundra and did a leaf spring upgrade from Boise Spring Works.  There are lots of options for suspension upgrades, and the two most common approaches are air bags or leaf springs.  See if there is a spring shop in your area that could do a custom leaf pack.  If not, lots of use Old Man Emu components.

Thanks

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:19 PM

My thoughts:

If you modify the spring pack, you turn it into a virtual 3/4 or 1 ton truck, with the same ride your F250 had empty.  

You need to think about the wet/packed/travelling down the road weight., not dry weight. Add 20# propane, 160# of water, your own weight, passengers, luggage, camping gear, dogs, food... 

#20 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

New to site, new Tundra crewmax limited TRD owner, just ordered Raven FWC. I've seen Tundras with Raven FWC in photos. What rear suspension changes have other Tundra owners done to handle weight, FWC 1250# dry as ordered? I don't plan on extreme offroad travel and will only have FWC on for part of the year, daily driver the balance of year. Had 2015 F250 diesel to pull 30' airstream, lots of trips, worked well for that but as daily driver, rough ride, 270K miles later, wanted smaller camper/smoother ride, sold both. 

FYI: my payload capacity test: strapped in a 250 gal tote centered in the bed and added 175 gal of water which is 1457# plus tote weight of 50#(+-) and drove the truck on at highway speed. too much weight. reduced to 157 gal, 1307# plus tote weight of 50#(+-) and drove the truck on at highway speed. manageable, not great, still too much rear sag.

Thanks

TRD sway bar, ride-rite air bags and load range E tires has worked well for me.

20170702_131614-L.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users