30 replies to this topic

#21 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:57 PM

There is a well respected member here (ADVMOTO) that has a lot of experience under his wing (he used to be a pilot so forgive the pun) and he is very happy with his F-250 mated to his Hawk. I think this is a good combination for this camper.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#22 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:02 AM

I have had my Hawk on a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra since January. Been out traveling for a total of at least 8 weeks, including a lot of 4WD backcountry road time, and have had no issues at all. I did mount E rated tires all around and firestone ride-rite airbags on the rear. No issues, no instability, no balking when I want to proceed onward. And some of those Death Valley 4WD roads are gnarly as are the most recent SE Utah roads we traveled.

I continue to read that a 3/4 or 1 ton is necessary, but I have yet to experience any such necessity.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 19 October 2020 - 01:06 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#23 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

With all due respect these discussions boil down into two camps. Those that believe they should stay within the rated capacity of their vehicles and those that don’t.

The rated capacity of the base tundra is about 1660 pounds. That is before any options etc. The base weight of the Hawk is 1100 pounds and once again that is before any options. I believe that if you were to weigh your rig as you would take it for a trip you will be significantly over your GVWR. Keep in mind that this includes all the people, water, tools, food etc. It would not surprise me if you said that you were 1000 pounds over your truck’s GVWR when fully loaded.

If you’re OK with that then I’m happy for you. I believe that driving our trucks off-road already puts a strain on the vehicle and I will do everything I can not to add to that stress. JMHO.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#24 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:11 PM

With all due respect these discussions boil down into two camps. Those that believe they should stay within the rated capacity of their vehicles and those that don’t.

The rated capacity of the base tundra is about 1660 pounds. That is before any options etc. The base weight of the Hawk is 1100 pounds and once again that is before any options. I believe that if you were to weigh your rig as you would take it for a trip you will be significantly over your GVWR. Keep in mind that this includes all the people, water, tools, food etc. It would not surprise me if you said that you were 1000 pounds over your truck’s GVWR when fully loaded.

If you’re OK with that then I’m happy for you. I believe that driving our trucks off-road already puts a strain on the vehicle and I will do everything I can not to add to that stress. JMHO.

I think you are correct on the two camps.. however, there are also some of us that believe in traveling light.. how much stuff do you really need? For that reason I built my Grandby light without all the bells and whistles and can get away with a 1/2 ton truck without being overweight when fully loaded, its close, but I am not overweight.   I prefer to know I am not overweight and fortunately live less than a miles from a scale... I am often surprised to hear what the weight is of some of these rigs...

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#25 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:58 PM

I think you are correct on the two camps.. however, there are also some of us that believe in traveling light.. how much stuff do you really need? For that reason I built my Grandby light without all the bells and whistles and can get away with a 1/2 ton truck without being overweight when fully loaded, its close, but I am not overweight.   I prefer to know I am not overweight and fortunately live less than a miles from a scale... I am often surprised to hear what the weight is of some of these rigs...

‘I 100% agree with your comments. The only way to know is to get an actual weight. As an example when we were heading out for our Alaska trip earlier this summer in addition to the normal supplies that we carry I added a Wilco hitchgate with a second full size spare and a second fridge freezer full of food. I stopped at a local scale house and weighed my F-350 with the Hallmark Expedition camper on it and came out to 10,860 pounds and I have a 11,000 GVW so I was a happy camper if you’ll pardon the pun.

PS. I just read your build thread. You did a great job! I’m impressed that you only had 1500# of payload fully loaded. That’s impressive.

Edited by smlobx, 20 October 2020 - 05:19 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#26 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:30 AM

Just an update

Purchased a 2020 F250 yesterday.  next is to order the FWC.  I feel confident we will stay well within the payload and GVWR for that truck.

#27 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:47 AM

‘I 100% agree with your comments. The only way to know is to get an actual weight. As an example when we were heading out for our Alaska trip earlier this summer in addition to the normal supplies that we carry I added a Wilco hitchgate with a second full size spare and a second fridge freezer full of food. I stopped at a local scale house and weighed my F-350 with the Hallmark Expedition camper on it and came out to 10,860 pounds and I have a 11,000 GVW so I was a happy camper if you’ll pardon the pun.

PS. I just read your build thread. You did a great job! I’m impressed that you only had 1500# of payload fully loaded. That’s impressive.

Thanks was a fun build.. sort of..haha..  Definitely kept it light and it paid off.. we are fair weather campers anyhow... so no much need for extra stuff (and we are both smaller humans.. that helps too).. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#28 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:37 PM

I am definitely in the 'have enough truck to be able to go where you want to go' camp. We don't have a roo guard, or winch, no hot water heater, no potty, etc. I have been doing mountain backcounty 4WD traveling since the mid-1960's when I swiped my Dad's old willey's jeep to go play in the hills with my friends. I also know how to fix a flat even down to field re-setting a bead when necessary. At one point I rebuilt a carberator while backed into a turnaround on the the backcountry road to Seafoam Lake in central Idaho. (Not going to say what truck I was driving then, so as not to enrage any brand loyalists) When young, I did plenty of the stupid stuff with 4WD rigs I now look back on and wonder how I survived the experiences. Nowadays I do not take unnecessary risks and use all that old experience to safely travel in very remote areas off the beaten path.

I do understand that many folks are more comfortable with bigger rigs and more gear for unforeseen circumstances. Makes sense -- the point is to do what you want to do and not feel like you are taking unnecessary risks. I do understand vehicles, and I do understand rough back country roads. The Tundra/Hawk combo meets my needs very well.

I wish you all happy, safe trails. 

Edited by AWG_Pics, 21 October 2020 - 01:44 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#29 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

Just an update

Purchased a 2020 F250 yesterday.  next is to order the FWC.  I feel confident we will stay well within the payload and GVWR for that truck.

That will make for a nice combination.  Congrats...

I am haunted by waters

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

Just an update

Just curious... that's an aluminum bed truck, correct?  Did you get the heavy payload package, or is that only an F-150 thing?  Which drivetrain did you choose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users