36 replies to this topic

#1 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:17 PM

Is there a wiring harness from FWC that I will need or is there another way from locally available bits - am looking for something plug and play.  Is it a tricky install or best left to FWC in Vancouver?  I am ok on the tools - but electrical is a bit of voodoo to me.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

First you might contact the dealer.

You said there's one in Vancouver?

It may be worth the money to have it

done for you rather then a DIY job if you

don't have the experience.

It's not that big of a job though.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:10 PM

The stock wiring from FWC (on my 2018 fleet) is 10 gauge from the battery of the truck to the camper.  There is a 30amp automatically resetting breaker in the engine bay and one in the camper. The wiring goes from the engine bay along the frame rail to the front drivers side of the truck bed where there is an Atwood trolling motor plug that connects to a pig tail that comes off of the camper.

I recently upgraded the wiring to the camper to heavy 2 gauge battery cable to reduce voltage loss.  This is a fairly common upgrade on truck campers as the stock wiring would only provide me about 3 amps to charge the camper batteries which was not enough. I am sure it would be fairly easy for you to find someone to wire up the camper, and FWC could definitely do it, though they may not provide heavy gauge wire than there stock setup. 

I would be more than happy to send you the wire and the atwood connectors that I took off of my setup if you are interested in paying shipping for them.  I wouldn't be able to send them for about a week and a half however.

Here is a thread that will give you all the info you can ask for on charging your batteries. 

https://www.wanderth...e-power-scotty/

Good Luck!

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:28 PM

Best to go see Mr Morrissey in Port Moody.  He's a good guy.  AND do upgrade the wiring from the stock sizes as mentioned by others here.

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:45 AM

I recently upgraded the wiring to the camper to heavy 2 gauge battery cable to reduce voltage loss.  This is a fairly common upgrade on truck campers as the stock wiring would only provide me about 3 amps to charge the camper batteries which was not enough. I am sure it would be fairly easy for you to find someone to wire up the camper, and FWC could definitely do it, though they may not provide heavy gauge wire than there stock setup. 

Best to go see Mr Morrissey in Port Moody.  He's a good guy.  AND do upgrade the wiring from the stock sizes as mentioned by others here.

X3 on upgrading the wire size it made a huge difference in the charging capacity. I did my own wiring with a simple solenoid, resettable breaker and a piggy back/add a fuse. There are several good threads here on that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

Awesome stuff guys - thanks for that.  As a general rule I tend to attempt to break things first myself - then seek help if needed.  I tried to do a search and not much popped up.  If anyone can direct me that would be much appreciated.  Wonder if i could run a temp wire to my trailer plug to get through a couple trips have planned then wire it properly.

#7 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:12 PM

Wow Vic- Just skim read your post on powering the camper - feel like i have opened Pandoras box.  Looks like I have some reading to do.  This is the tip of the iceberg no doubt.

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:02 PM

Wow Vic- Just skim read your post on powering the camper - feel like i have opened Pandoras box.  Looks like I have some reading to do.  This is the tip of the iceberg no doubt.

Read enough to get dangerous... then ask questions!  We're here to help!

#9 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

Basic Install video. Might give you a better idea on electrical.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#10 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:14 PM

Hi Stan,

Why does FWC continue to use 10 gauge wire for the battery connection to the truck?  When I got my camper hooked up on my Tacoma, my camper battery would charge from 3-6 amps, which often wasn't enough to keep up with camper battery usage on a trip.  It seems like this is an issue that many folks have, that could easily be rectified, if FWC would adjust the components used to wire the camper to the truck.  Maybe there is more to it that i am not thinking about.

I hope i'm not hijacking the thread.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users