36 replies to this topic

#21 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

I installed the Redarc BCDC40 on my camper before I upgraded the wiring. I was quite pleased with the results, plus it also has a small MPPT solar charger built in to it. I went from charging the camper batteries at around 3-6 amps to charging them at 20-30amps. Honestly, I think that the upgraded wiring wasn't really necessary after I installed this.

You may want to consider finding somebody to do the installation for you. It was not super difficult but it wasn't completely straightforward either. The camper cabinetry comes apart easier than it looks like, which is a plus when it comes to running heavier cables from the power distribution area to the battery. I have a shell so yours may be a bit different. Sorry, I don’t have any pics of it.

Edited by makalutoo, 08 October 2020 - 04:41 PM.

#22 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:45 PM

We are wired for solar and were given a small dettached 40W panel from PO - but we will upgrade and mount solar (100w?) on roof and a friend advised to get a solar charge controller - so if I am hearing you correctly this reddac will kill 2 birds with one stone?

As with all things - I will tackle it myself and seek help if/when i **** it up - otherwise there is not sport :)

#23 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:47 PM

I suppose the advantage or the DCDC charger is I can throw in the supplied 10ga wiring to the truck to get rolling then upgrade with charger when it arrives.

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:51 PM

Can someone direct me to a suitable DC DC charger?

Renogy - https://www.amazon.c...943&sr=8-3&th=1

Victron - https://shop.pkys.co...ter_p_7945.html

#25 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:52 PM

I don't think you can use the trolling motor with 4AWG wire.     You would have to splice to the 10AWG wire on the plug, which would mean you really should fuse the circuit for 10AWG, as the rating is determined by the smallest wire in the circuit.    If you upgrade the wire, you will also need to switch the connector for a higher current plug that can accept the correct wire.   That said, using the stock wire (which is rated to 60A) that you already have and using a DC-DC charger may be a more cost/effort effective solution than upgrading the wiring.  

As to airbags, I have given up on getting mine leak free.   Sometimes they will hold pressure for months, sometimes they leak out in a day or two.  My solution is an on board compressor with a paddle valve.  When on a trip I use them to level, so we check/adjust the pressure every day. 

rando, how do you figure 10g wire is good for 60A?  I always thought it was 30A?

https://www.cerrowir...mpacity-charts/

#26 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:32 AM

rando, how do you figure 10g wire is good for 60A? I always thought it was 30A?
https://www.cerrowir...mpacity-charts/

The 30a rating is based on residential AC wiring. Decent marine wire with 105C insulation is rated at 60a for most uses:
https://www.bluesea....re_Sizing_Chart

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:47 AM

The 30a rating is based on residential AC wiring. Decent marine wire with 105C insulation is rated at 60a for most uses:
https://www.bluesea....re_Sizing_Chart

Well then.  I am pleased to have learned something new!  Thanks!

#28 Hoopy

Hoopy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationsouthern Wa

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:31 PM

FYI

We are doing our second round of FWC camper.  Our local dealer when asked will put in heavier gauge wire.I got the impression I was not the first to bring up skimpy 10 g. wire.  Saves me from redoing the cables.  So I am grateful for that.   After living off the grid 25 years  efficiency is always on the forefront of our home on wheels. I learned alot having a FWC  of our own to take check out systems what worked for us and not,   So on the second round I am I  am doing upgrades that meet our needs    Hoop 

#29 Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

Would it then be of benefit to crimp 4 or 6 Ga wire to the female trolling motor receptacle and run it forward to truck battery?

I unwrapped my FWC supplied wiring harness and see that they simply crimped the wire to pigtails coming out of the receptalce, and if it helps with voltge drop I dont see why not.   I have ordered a 60A breaker per Rando's comment.

I will leave truck wiring alone for now but also get a DCDC charger - been reading up and getting my head into that.

Was just thinking if I am going through process to run wire - may as well get optimal charging while I can.  Does this make sense?

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:16 PM

Does the trolling motor connector have an Amperage rating?  Wouldn't want to exceed that.  That said, you are unlikely to be pulling more than 40A through it unless you get a very large DC-DC converter.  

Otherwise, yes, running thicker wire now makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users