#1 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

As a followup to my prior post on the busted door latch:

https://www.wanderth...ted-door-latch/

what I found was the linkage pin for the deadbolt had popped out. I never lock either the deadbolt or the latch handle and use only the large, silver deadbolt. After removing the door I found that all the screws for the latch were tight, the four mortorq screws in the black mounting plate as well as the two phillips screws for the internal cover plate, yet the linkage pin managed to bounce out. This allowed the deabolt to freely slide and road vibration eventually caused it to slide into the strike plate, thereby locking the door. I drove this rig four years and on a lot of rough roads, but the worst vibration was the day this happened on a very badly washboarded road.

So what I did was remove the deadbolt, the linkage pin, and the red lever handle, as shown in the photo.  It is a very simple, quick job and I would have done when I bought the camper if I had known. There have been posts recommending that the screws should be kept tight, and in most cases that is likely adequate, but not in mine, so  the bullet proof way to prevent this is remove the deadbolt.

The other thing I noticed is that should one of the phillips screws holding the cover plate become loose and fall out, it could possibly bounce around and lodge in the latch handle bolt or the spring, thereby preventing the latch from opening. I plan to use loktite on those screws. 

gallery_7166_1147_20155.jpg

#2 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:28 PM

Never having never used the latch bolt pictured above, I was unaware of the issue.  I simply used the dead bolt when locking the camper.  Well, looks like I have something to check on before the next trip.  Thanks!

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#3 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:26 PM

Karlton, yeah I was doing same thing because others had warned about the latch locks, BUT it sill vibrated loose. It is very easy to remove it, and you can apply loctite to the two screws for the silver plate while you are in there. To be clear, the latch assembly has two key holes and I removed the bolt operated by the  upper key hole. 

#4 Lineman

Lineman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

I have never liked that deadbolt. I never use it and don't usually carry the key, but have been concerned about it bouncing locked or my youngest child locking it with me outside the camper.

I took a few minutes and removed it today.

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

It is my understanding that of the two locks on the RV entry lock panel, the deadbolt unit has the most unique key. The one for the handle has only 5 or so unique keys. I recall a thread some time ago that this was so that the RV sales team could open any camper on the sales lot with only a handful of keys rather than having to go back to the office for a specific key when a customer showed interest in a particular unit.

This would imply that it is important to lock your camper’s main house type deadbolt rather than just the handle lock. Something else to consider when camping.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:43 PM

Removed the latch bolt today.  Great tip.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:01 AM

My ATC doesn't have the separate deadbolt.  Are these something one can pickup at homedepot?  

#8 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:31 PM

Hi Vic - this is pretty similar to the dead bolt on the FWCs.  I feel the camper is well secured with this type of lock.

https://www.homedepo...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:43 PM

Hi Vic - this is pretty similar to the dead bolt on the FWCs.  I feel the camper is well secured with this type of lock.

https://www.homedepo...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Perfect.  thanks

#10 CatButt

CatButt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:45 AM

It is my understanding that of the two locks on the RV entry lock panel, the deadbolt unit has the most unique key. The one for the handle has only 5 or so unique keys. I recall a thread some time ago that this was so that the RV sales team could open any camper on the sales lot with only a handful of keys rather than having to go back to the office for a specific key when a customer showed interest in a particular unit.

This would imply that it is important to lock your camper’s main house type deadbolt rather than just the handle lock. Something else to consider when camping.

Paul

I have a key that opens 90% of all motorhome style locks. We have lots of Mohos at work so we all have these keys. Most of the locks on the other outside compartments...storage box, etc...are likely all keyed the same. It's the smaller key...starts with CH...we all have those too.

The dead bolt is all I use and what I feel to be the safest. Any locksmith in any town can get you into your camper if needs be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users