• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 damonhowatt

damonhowatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

Hi to everyone.  I have a Fleet camper on a Tacoma.  Last week while grouse hunting in the North Cascades, my friend broke the drain valve handle at the rear of the camper.  I've read some of the posts on this topic.  I have a replacement handle and flange and am getting ready to install.  My question is: do I need to use a sealant between the flange and the camper exterior?  If so, what kind of sealant?  

Thank you all in advance!

Steve

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

yes to sealant.  Butyl tape works, and so would 3m 4200 or a Polyurethane caulk.  Don't use silicone caulk. 

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:15 AM

yes to sealant.  Butyl tape works, and so would 3m 4200 or a Polyurethane caulk.  Don't use silicone caulk. 

Curious, why not silicone caulk?

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:39 AM

Apparently it isn’t UV tolerant, and it makes it hard for anything else to ever stick to the area

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:45 AM

This is one of my worst fears on an extended desert trip.  The nylon draincock seems fragile, and UV degrades the material.

If the valve snaps badly, I worry about losing our tank of water.

I unscrewed the factory OEM valve and confirmed it's just a barb fitting to tubing.

I bought a spare valve at the RV parts store for five bucks and carry it as a spare now.

Redundancy is a good thing, especially 50 miles from pavement.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:31 AM

X2 to what Vic said. Another popular sealant is Sikaflex

This is one of my worst fears on an extended desert trip.  The nylon draincock seems fragile, and UV degrades the material.

If the valve snaps badly, I worry about losing our tank of water.

Look into a marine grade stainless steel draincock from a boat supply place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#7 damonhowatt

damonhowatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 05:20 AM

Thank you to all of the above responses.  They were spot on and very helpful.  I went to three Seattle area plumbing stores and none carry any accessories that were the size needed for my repair.  I then went to an RV repair shop and they offered to sell me the same plastic flange/valve combo for $3.00.  I passed on that offer.  

Ebay and Amazon had both the metal flange and metal ball valve I needed.  Loc Tite sealant (marine and non-silicone) and a ice maker hose for a refrigerator completed the parts.   I think that replacement flange/valve setup will work for an extended time.  I wanted to attach a couple photos but my Safari browser isn't cooperating!  Thanks again to all!

Steve

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:24 PM

Mine was still in good shape before I did  the mod (ten years or so) but I probably have fewer freeze thaw cycles than many of you. Not a bad idea to carry a spare.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:00 PM

Carrying a spare is a good idea, but if not proactively doing the upgrade, be prepared that it is not a convenient swap out.  It is not complicated, but will require a few tools as there isn't much tube (hose) to work with in the camper.  I had to cut the tubing, work additional tubing out, hold that with vice grips, and install the new flange.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:04 PM

I believe this topic came up in 2018 (May have been on another site) and it prompted me to replace the valve on my Hallmark which was of the same design and concerns.

Based on the recommendations of others I ended up replacing the valve with this..

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I have really been happy with the result. Now that we have no concerns about it breaking we find ourselves using it quite a bit more.

Hope this helps.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users