10 replies to this topic

#1 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:22 PM

What do you all do to keep your camper clean?  I am getting ready for an extended trip this winter (4 months on the road) and I would like to come up with a solution to help keep the camper clean.  My thoughts are either a 20volt dust buster style dewalt vac or installing an inverter to plug a small vacuum in. 

I have also considered just going to carwashes, to use their shop vacs, but I imagine that would get expensive if i did it a lot.

20volt

Pros - Could always use it, would have a 20volt battery so i could use power tools too.

Cons - Not as powerful as a plug in unit

Plug in/install inverter

Pros - More powerful, Would have an inverter to use for other things

Cons - Would have to install an inverter, no batteries for tools 

Just wonder what some of your opinions are on this.  

Thanks 

#2 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

Ha, ha. I'm old school. I use what's called a Lobby Broom - slightly larger than a whisk broom, but with a long handle - it runs on elbow grease, no volts needed. I got mine on Amazon.

For the rest, just like home, dusting and wiping down the counter tops and sink.

Edited by Bosque Bill, 06 October 2020 - 06:56 PM.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:54 PM

+1 on a small hand broom.  We tend to clean up a bit every night before climbing into bed, and this includes sweeping and then using a damp cloth on counters/fridge door and then floor.  Dirt accumulates VERY fast in such a small space.

#4 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:20 PM

I guess i should've mentioned I already have a small dust pan/broom.  I have a carpeted entry mat that I cut out for the camper so the broom doesn't really work, and it is a pain to take the mat out to shake it out.

#5 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:59 PM

I guess i should've mentioned I already have a small dust pan/broom.  I have a carpeted entry mat that I cut out for the camper so the broom doesn't really work, and it is a pain to take the mat out to shake it out.

I put carpet down in my camper and the broom works fine, though the carpet has a very short nap.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#6 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:00 AM

I use Clorox-type wipes for the counters and a small broom for the floor. On long trips I will clean the camper before bed every night. I have a removable rug that I shake out also.

When I bought my camper it had a carpet that was semi-permanently attached and it became to much of a hassle for me. I didn't want a little vacuum to take up any of the little space I had. But it would be nice to have one to clean out my truck from time to time.

As for battery vs corded I would go corded and get an inverter. You will have to make sure batteries are charged before you leave or if you want to charge them in the camper you will need an inverter. I have found many uses for my cheap inverter from charging laptops to running a blender (nothing better than margaritas in the desert). I cant think of a time where I could not get by without power tools while out traveling. A good mechanic tool set goes a long ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#7 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:29 PM

Small broom, camper has short nap indoor/outdoor carpet, for normal cleaning, then vacuum at car wash once in a great while. Also have a rubber mat outside to wipe feet before entering. The outdoor mat gets shook and or swept.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#8 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:43 PM

I'm in the small broom camp. I place a 3x5 carpet in front of my Little Giant steps that picks up most of the dirt/debris before entering my camper. I have a cordless Dewalt vac at home and it screams like a f15. If you used one camped near anyone people will not be happy!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#9 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the input.  I'll probably install an inverter, mainly just to have for charging stuff and see how it goes.  

#10 Bike_Mech

Bike_Mech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNorthwest

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:43 AM

Our dog sheds by the pound(s) a day. We carry a Milwaukee 18v vac when we travel for several weeks, but for shorter trips it stays in the shop and a small hand broom does the trick. I can use the Milwaukee for daily cleanup for about 3 weeks before it needs a recharge. Im not sure I would of bought the vac for just using in the camper, I have it for work stuff.

-Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users