Photo
- - - - -

Newbie with questions about purchasing a FWC.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 James3344

James3344

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:09 PM

Hey everyone, I am new here and have started doing my research in hopes to get a new FWC soon! I am coming from a 16' Airstream but need something that will allow me to go further off road. 

I have two questions: 

1.) How often are you guys taking off your camper and storing it? Do you leave it on all summer or do you only put it on when you are going for a trip? 

2.) I am not opposed to buying used, but as you know it is difficult to find the right one. The model I would have built if I went new is a Raven that is fully loaded and will cost about $35k out the door. How much will that depreciate once I drive it home? I am worried about losing $10k right off the bat for buying new as I haven't really seen many used FWC for more than $25k. But then again I just recently started looking so maybe they go for more. 

Any information is helpful! Thank you and I'm excited to learn more about these awesome campers. 

#2 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

We have only had our Grandby since early August, but our plan is to leave it on full time unless we need the truck for some other purpose.

How long are you planning to keep the camper? FWCs tend to hold their value better than many campers and RVs, but they will depreciate in value like everything. However, unless you are only planning to keep the camper for a short time, I'm not sure I would worry about depreciation.

We are also in an RV "bubble" now due to the pandemic. Demand is incredibly high. I'm hearing that the lead time for ordering a new camper from the FWC factory is approaching a year. So, used campers are also in high demand, which means higher prices. If you do decide to go the used route, you need to be ready to act immediately.

Good luck!

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:27 PM

Drifting off topic ... I placed an order for a new Grandby about 2 weeks ago.  I was able to do a change order on an existing order the dealer had for a May delivery.  They told me that, if they (the dealer) had not had that order slot already purchased, delivery for a new order would be into October.  So yes, as heinphoto wrote above it's right about 1 year lead time right now if you can't buy a dealer's existing stock or order slot. 

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

I seldom go anywhere between June-Sept so I leave my ATC off. Sept through Thanksgiving I leave the camper off unless I'm not going anywhere for a couple of weeks. I'll do a few winter trips Dec-March so the camper is off and on as needed. April- May is the same as Sept- end of Nov. My '19 Tundra gets around 13-14mpg with camper on (lots of freeway miles) and 15-16mpg unloaded (90% in town) plus it's just easier to drive/park without the camper so I prefer to leave it off whenever possible. 

As far as campers go, I purchased my ATC Panther shell with lots of customization for much less $$ than a FWC. I had owned 2 Hawks before and actually sold one for more than I bought it for. You may want to look into an ATC. Marty and Jeff are great to work with and were willing to build out my shell the way I wanted it. ATC doesn't have the nice upgrade options that FWC does but I find no difference in build quality.

Good luck in your pursuit!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#5 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:30 PM

I put my camper on for the season,(April thru October this year) then take it off and put it in the garage for the winter. Still not real comfortable putting it on and off so it is just better that I keep it on for the duration that I’ll be using it. As far as cost goes, I was lucky enough to get a good deal on the Bobcat that I bought last year used, a 2011 in like new condition.

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:58 PM

I leave my FWC Eagle on fulltime.  It's never been off my current truck (4 years now).  

If you want to buy used, I'd get a truck and have it ready to go; tie downs, etc.  When you find the used one you want, you have to jump on it quickly.  Be ready to travel.  One thing, if you buy used and the camper you find doesn't have jacks, you'll need to rent some and make sure they can lift the camper high enough and the jacks will extend out far enough away from the truck width.

Good luck.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 James3344

James3344

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:29 AM

Thank you for all of your replies! I have found a dealer that said he could get me a Raven by end of March. I am leaning towards buying new. I was kind of planning on taking the camper on and off throughout the summer but it sounds like most people leave them on. 

Is that because they are so difficult to remove and put on? 

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 October 2020 - 03:19 AM

Hey everyone, I am new here and have started doing my research in hopes to get a new FWC soon! I am coming from a 16' Airstream but need something that will allow me to go further off road. 

I have two questions: 

1.) How often are you guys taking off your camper and storing it? Do you leave it on all summer or do you only put it on when you are going for a trip? 

2.) I am not opposed to buying used, but as you know it is difficult to find the right one. The model I would have built if I went new is a Raven that is fully loaded and will cost about $35k out the door. How much will that depreciate once I drive it home? I am worried about losing $10k right off the bat for buying new as I haven't really seen many used FWC for more than $25k. But then again I just recently started looking so maybe they go for more. 

Any information is helpful! Thank you and I'm excited to learn more about these awesome campers. 

First, welcome to WTW,

As you’re coming from an Airstream, you know that almost all RVs (Including the best) depreciate rapidly.  You might expand your search a bit and check out the ATC (All Terrain Campers) line up.  They are well made, and live up to their motto, “Built To Survive”.  

Similar to the FWC campers, but a little less expensive.  ATC is also willing to do custom work for their customers.  I have had both a FWC Grandby and an ATC Bobcat.  Both were good, but my preference was the Bobcat.

Regardless of which brand you choose, consider going with a shell model.  You’ll have far more interior room, and you can build it out as much as you want or need.   The only “for certain options“ I recommend would be to have a factory furnace/propane, and a thermal barrier.

I am haunted by waters

#9 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 09 October 2020 - 05:04 AM

I take mine off..not hard, takes me about 45min taking my time and includes installing the jacks. When it's on, I often leave it on for months at a time, no big deal either way...

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

I take our Hawk off my pickup between camping trips.  I need to use the box for hauling stuff. 

Once you get the hang of taking it on/off, it can be done fairly quickly.  Even faster if you have a helper with drill motor who can assist you raising/lowering jack legs in tandem on opposite sides of the camper.

If you're going to spend a lot of time off-tarmac, consider the condition of the tracks you will travel.  Every camper option adds weight and payload can have a big negative impact on your suspension on rough, off-camber tracks. 

I suggest making a wish list of the options you desire and then ponder that list for several weeks and determine what options you really need vs would simply be nice to have.  

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users