Sure power 1314A gets hot

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#11 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:06 PM

I really like the ML series. The ML is "magnetic latching" which uses no or minimal power and thus no heat is generated.

Is the Blue Sea ML an isolator or separator?

#12 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:14 PM

Today the separator is not even warm. I reconnected the camper and truck. The truck batteries were 12.7v and the camper batteries are charging on solar in the 13’s. I’ll check again later.

It looks like the way FWC connects these separators is through a thermal(?) block similar to the one in the engine compartment where they pull the power from the battery. It looks like the power from the truck batteries come in on a white wire and then they take it out of the separator with the red wire to the fuse block and out to the camper batteries.

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 October 2020 - 02:53 AM

Is the Blue Sea ML an isolator or separator?

Separator, meaning it protects both sides from too much discharge.

#14 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:19 AM

I think I know why the separator was hot when the truck wasn’t running. Interested in what others think.

I had the trickle charger on the truck batteries while the camper was connected. I think this pushed the truck batteries up in voltage to trigger the separator. I understand they get warm/hot when they click on. Charging the truck batteries seems to be the same as driving when the alternator is pushing up the voltage.

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:55 AM

That does sound like a reason.

Still don't like that the separator gets hot.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:10 AM

Keep in mind that the separator solenoid consumes about 0.9 amp at 13.8+ volts. Power = amps * volts or 13.8 * 0.9 => 12.4 watts. This is dissipated as heat. If you don't think that this can get hot, grab one of those little 4 watt incandescent night light bulbs after it has been turned on for an hour or so. Makes you appreciate how much heat is created by 12 watts.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#17 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

Story continues. Truck parked connected to camper. Solar charging and separator hot. Volt meter in truck battery shows 14v, same as camper. Disconnect camper from truck and truck voltage drops. Seems that the separator is allowing solar charging to the truck battery which most likely is also causing the heat. If this the case then it seems like the separator has gone bad. My understanding is the power should only come from the truck.

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:47 PM

Have you contacted Stan at FWC?.

They might give you some info about your separator.

I don't thing the charging should go back to the truck

battery through the separator. Doesn't sound right.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

Have you contacted Stan at FWC?.
They might give you some info about your separator.

I don't thing the charging should go back to the truck
battery through the separator. Doesn't sound right.
Frank

I heard back from Jay Roper at FWC. He said it should not get hot. Right now the truck is disconnected from the camper. Separator still hot. I can touch it but leaving my finger on it for a few seconds creates discomfort.

I think my next step is to disconnect separator from camper batteries. Before I do this I will check for voltage coming through the plug that goes into the truck.

I really appreciate the conversation around this. Thanks.

#20 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:12 PM

Checked voltage at camper to truck plug. Power at the plug from camper is 13.xx depending on solar charge at the moment. Seems as though power is flowing through separator back to the truck. I assume this would indicate separator is not working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users