#31 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:46 AM

The switch 

Oh great...an ACR 7611?  I see it handles less amperage and costs less that the ML/ACRs but is it the best choice? 

And yes, I do have a winch, but of course only use it with Tundra motor running.  

Best option?

Thanks...Phil

The switch model gives you the ability to turn it off/on remotely.  I had mine in the cab of the truck along with some gauges when I had my Hawk/Gasser truck. Still have the 7622 and gauges in my box of parts that may eventually get installed again.

#32 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:19 AM

Vic,

When and why do you need to turn the 7622 model off?  All things electrical tend to baffle me, electrons are something I remember in the Bohr Atom model.... B)

Why did FWC use the 7611 and not the 7622?  Cost?  Amperage?

Thanks...Phil

#33 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:08 AM

Phil, I imagine they used the 7611 because of cost.  The 7622 really could support jumping the truck via the camper batteries.  

Why turn it off?  Well, scenario I saw often was my dumb alternator pumping up to 90A into the camper batteries on startup, and down to 50A until the batteries were showing 98% SOC on my BMV, at which point I would switch off the connection, and let the solar panels finish the charge process.  The Victron MPPT is way smarter than my dumb alternator on the ins/outs of charging the batteries.

Now with LiFePo4, I don't have the 7622 installed, using a Victron Orion 30A charger instead to protect my alternator.  I suspect (not tested) that my 200AH BattleBorn battery bank could take all 135A that my dumb alternator could put out, until it burns out or the batteries are full... I am thinking of putting it back in using rando's switch method to enable charging for 30 mins (until I see smoke from the alternator?) for a rapid charge when daylight is not available and I need to top up in an hurry.

#34 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:45 PM

Thanks Vic....I will change mine to the 7622 this winter...if for no other reason that to allow me the option of starting the Tundra from the FWC batteries if needed...even though I carry an XP-1 Li unit for such emergencies..and my alternator is the larger one from Toyota as a winter option.

Appreciate the explanation; I always plan better when I understand the parameters!   :cool:

Phil

#35 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:15 AM

Replaced the Surepower 1314A with the Blue Sea 7611. It was a simple disconnect old and connect new. I did have move the fuse that was already there for a better fit. Now the truck batteries can get solar charge from the camper, which is great because sometimes the truck sits for awhile. The other plus is the new Blue Sea is not a solenoid so it won’t run hot which is what the Surepower did. Thanks for the feedback while I went about the solution for my problem.

#36 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

Great that you finally have the Surepower problem fixed.

Now having  the different "isolator" that will charge both ways is a big plus.

Since my camper is on the truck full time having the solar charge the truck is great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#37 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:11 AM

Replaced the Surepower 1314A with the Blue Sea 7611. It was a simple disconnect old and connect new. I did have move the fuse that was already there for a better fit. Now the truck batteries can get solar charge from the camper, which is great because sometimes the truck sits for awhile. The other plus is the new Blue Sea is not a solenoid so it won’t run hot which is what the Surepower did. Thanks for the feedback while I went about the solution for my problem.

Is the BS 7611 magnetically switched?  can't see on BS website if it is....

Has anyone installed the 7622 in the Surepower 1311A FWC location?  Any issues?

Thanks...Phil

#38 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:48 AM

Is the BS 7611 magnetically switched? can't see on BS website if it is....

Has anyone installed the 7622 in the Surepower 1311A FWC location? Any issues?

Thanks...Phil

I want to say no. I think when I was researching the the ML was magnetic.

#39 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:42 AM

Is the BS 7611 magnetically switched?  can't see on BS website if it is....

Has anyone installed the 7622 in the Surepower 1311A FWC location?  Any issues?

Thanks...Phil

Yes the 7611 it is magnetically switched (all mechanical relays are) but it is not 'latching' like the 7622 and requires a small amount of current (~100 mA) to to keep the relay engaged when the batteries are combined.   

In some applications this matters, but not so much in this case.  The 7622 is only active when there is a charging source (truck running, shore power or solar) so the relay is only consuming power when there is external power available.    

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#40 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:55 PM

Thanks...is the lower amount of current used in the 7622 [true?] a significant attribute and why?  I am still in the ozone on understanding the functional and practical differences between the 7611 and 7622...such as "latching" or heat production or charging vehicle battery from solar source...did see the 7611 has a battery group size limit [27?]; why, due to max current?

In short why would you choose a 7622 over the 1311 or the 7611?

Lastly will the 7622 fit into the location of the 1311A?

Appreciate the input.

Phil 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users