Photo

Looking for a “project” fleet, ranger, etc.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Yotaaloha

Yotaaloha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:55 PM

Hey everyone, I am 19 years old and have a 92 Toyota pickup with the 6 ft bed. I am looking for a pop up camper that will fit. I am looking for somewhat of a project because that’s all I can afford but I’m willing to put in the work for one. I live in Ventura California (SoCal) but am will to drive a bit. If you have one or see one for 4K preferably less let me know! Thank you I appreciate it.

#2 Yotaaloha

Yotaaloha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:46 AM

Bump

#3 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

Sorry I dont have one for you... but some advice.. 

Check your local Craigslist regularly.. sometimes they just list them as pop up camper...

Also check facebook marketplace..

I got mine for $500, but had to be completely redone (a big project, but well worth it).. 

If you are handy don't be afraid to get a junker, pretty easy to work on...

good luck

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#4 Yotaaloha

Yotaaloha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:59 PM

Hey BBZ, thank you. And yes I do this of every hour of everyday. I always see good deals on hawks and grandbys but I can never find a eagle or a fleet. Thank you tho I appreciate it!

#5 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:11 PM

Hey BBZ, thank you. And yes I do this of every hour of everyday. I always see good deals on hawks and grandbys but I can never find a eagle or a fleet. Thank you tho I appreciate it!

You will find one... patience...keep looking. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

Are you using SearchTempest to scan multiple lists?

I am haunted by waters

#7 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:21 PM

I found my Fleet by scrolling through craigslist RVs/camp listings looking at photos instead of doing a word search. The guy just had it listed as a "truck camper" with no mention of brand or the fact that it was a pop up. I recognized that it was a FWC from the photo, never would have found it through a search of Craigslist or Search Tempest.

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:34 PM

Same here.  Mine was listed as a pop-up truck camper; picture told me what it was.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 Yotaaloha

Yotaaloha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:39 PM

Thanks you guys, yeah I’m using the Craigslist app and it let’s you search a 250 mile radius and I search every state near the west (California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, New Mexico, Utah). I only type in the word camper because I think it should cover all my bases. Weather it be listed as “truck camper” or “four wheel camper”. I think this is ultimately a waiting game. Thank you guys for your input I appreciate it

#10 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:57 AM

Took me about a year to find mine and I drove from SoCal to Boulder, CO for it.  Paid $4500 and it was in fairly decent shape.  You'll find many more deals on the ones that don't fit your truck unfortunately...i know that problem well.  I also wound up with an 8' model and kinda wished I had held out for a 6-6.5" model...missed out on one by a couple days in southern Colorado.  It's painful...there are often junkers for $500 in Colorado, if you can weld or want to learn and have a garage and some workshop tools, it can be a great deal.  My advice is go cheap if you can rebuild yourself completely.  If you get something that appears to be in pretty good shape, you will start to find all the skeletons over the following years which is ok, but frustrating and costly when you thought you paid extra for something in good shape.  If you're driving more than a few hours it's a significant cost when you go look at one, so be pretty sure you're ready to buy.  There's a lot of info here including a use camper alert thread...i kept an eye on that too.  If you want to do any more technical off-roading, I'd honestly be a bit apprehensive of one of the older ones without going down to the frame and doing some weld work.  The older ones only welded one side of the joints which in my opinion is a terrible idea and asking for problems.  FWC factory told me they all cracked with that design and they no longer do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users