Photo
- - - - -

FWC Eagle (2010) longer term camping - off truck tips?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrkevinc

mrkevinc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:04 AM

Greetings - long time lurker first time poster. Thanks to this group for all of the great insight - I've leveraged this board heavily in researching, building (dolly) and updating my (new to me) 2010 Eagle. 

I have a question about the viability of camping in the shell (off truck). Scenario would be spending a week in one spot and not wanting to clean up / raise / lower / pack the Eagle for a daily run around. Any tips on using the shell off the camper for a period of days? I'm assuming the jacks should be lowered for stability - or if this is just a bad idea I'd like to hear it! Thanks!

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

They say that the floor is not built to be used unsupported. So you might need to figure out some way to support it - some way that's portable. Sawhorses, maybe?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:27 AM

I'm an Eagle owner and confirm the floor must be supported.
My solution has been to tow a motorcycle with me and use that as a vehicle during long term stops.

Edited by knoxswift, 13 October 2020 - 03:27 AM.

#4 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:37 PM

I wonder if the time it would take to remove, support the floor, then reload the camper , store the floor supports and travel is any less the the total time it would take to close up the Eagle each day for a week. I have two style "camps", a "travel camp" and a "long term camp". In travel mode I set out minimal stuff and if I driving the next morning I put as much away as possible after dinner. In the morning I have a simple breakfast, usually coffee, oatmeal and a protein drink, boiling water on the inside stove. After breakfast I drop the top onto the bed with all the blankets, quilt etc in place. I can usually be on the road in a hour. If I am staying in one place for a while I set up the pop up port-a-toilet shelter, maybe a screen house, table & chairs, outdoor stove and settled in. 

This also works if I driving to a fishing spot each day, I simply keep the amount of stuff I need to put away inside the camper to a minimum. 

I think if you develop a system and routine, you will find that it really doesn't take long to get in driving mode in the morning. Also, I like having the camper with me for lunch while fishing and a cold beer after fishing. Or sometimes a nap. :)

Let us know if you figure out a way to support the floor and how long it takes you to dismount and remount the camper in the boonies.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#5 mrkevinc

mrkevinc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:27 PM

Thanks all! Based on the above...the shell will be staying on and I'll workout a system/organization to keep that simple. Appreciate the insight and the tips! 

#6 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:22 AM

I have only removed the camper (Grandby) once while I was in Baja.  I made floor supports out of a sheet of 3/4" plywood which I cut into four 2 foot x 4 foot pieces and made a slot into the center of each so they could be slid together to make two X supports to lower the camper on to.  It all worked well, I was able to store the support pieces under the floor of the camper in the frame I made of 2 x 4's to lift the camper slightly off the bed to get clearance for a box I made to mount under the overhang.  

The downside was remounting the camper on the truck while on the beach sand.  Not the same as in the driveway.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users