• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:47 PM

Camped two nights on the East Fork of the Carson river last week, one night at the hot springs and one night further down river. I won't bother with pictures considering the wind had shifted the day I went and blew a lot of wild fire smoke over the Sierra and into Nevada. The aspens on the eastern slope were in full glory though, even through the haze.

This was my first trip out since Covid and I was bit apprehensive about what I might find considering some of the stories I've heard about inconsiderate crowds, however I was very pleasantly surprised at how clean the camping area around the hots springs was. It's a weekend party spot and has often been trashed out when I've visited. 

Someone, or group, had clearly been there recently and spruced the place up, repairing, cleaning and even adding to the soaking pools and thoroughly policing the entire area for trash. Thank you!

Had the whole place to ourselves the entire time, but given the nature of the road in and being mid-week we got lucky.

This is beautiful, secluded little valley to visit, if you can tolerate the miles of rock garden and the deeply rutted steep descent down to the river. 4 lo range 1st & 2nd almost the entire time.

/2

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:14 PM

Good to hear its been cleaned up. Sounds like the road has deteriorated since the last time I was in there. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:38 PM

Glad you had a good time! We've only stopped at the springs on raft trips.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:07 AM

Glad to hear of some respectful spring locations!  We just returned from Sonora Pass area and were blessed with smoke free conditions, and ongoing fall colors.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:57 PM

It is a rough ride in, and fording the river to the hot springs should obviously only be done when the water level is low, but I've heard the fishing is great!

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:32 PM

<snip>
but I've heard the fishing is great!

The East Fork Carson River from Hangmans Bridge on highway 89 downstream to the Nevada state line is special water - artificial flies with barbless hooks and catch and release only. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:40 AM

Thanks for the report.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users