• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Remote1

Remote1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:20 AM

Anyone have an approximation of where the center of weight (balance point) is on a Hawk camper?  I need to put it on a trailer so I can store in in my garage.  Thanks

Edited by Remote1, 15 October 2020 - 02:10 PM.

#2 OffTheGridMaps

OffTheGridMaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWhitefish, MT

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:21 AM

It should be marked on the side of your camper, along the bottom edge of the camper (that is visible above the bed rails).  Otherwise, it's pretty darn close to halfway.

2005 FWC Eagle | 2003 Toyota Tundra

OffTheGridMaps.com - Maps of Montana's best outdoor recreation activities

#3 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:18 AM

I would say between the mid point and the front wall. I have a Granby and the front jacks are supporting a majority of the weight with very little on the rear jacks. The overhang is pretty heavy...

#4 Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:38 PM

I just went through a three week back and forth with FWC looking for this for this data point for my Grandby.  Evidently it varies even within the same model and floorplan based on the options you selected, so it’s not as simple a question as it seems. For the Grandby, the COG estimate was that it sits rearward of the front camper wall by third to a quarter of the floorlength.  They might be able to give you a similar range estimate for your Hawk but I was disappointed in the lack of design support from the factory.... don’t expect to get it soon, or exact :(

Edited by Bluebeard, 15 October 2020 - 06:41 PM.

#5 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:46 PM

That is basically the same thing I said...

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:44 PM

CG in a static situation is adjustable, like when storing it, or even when moving...if you have 26 gallons of water on-board that is about 57 lbs...and the propane tanks out back can be removed when storing and that as I recall is about 34 lbs [when full]..not a large % change but some...if that is critical for you.  My stored items out side the camper via the turnbuckle access doors can also be adjusted fore or aft.

Can't believe in any configuration that the Hawk would tip in any direction due to a shift in CG....perhaps a non-problem? :rolleyes:

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 21 October 2020 - 03:45 PM.

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:21 AM

Water is about 8 lbs per gallon - not 2.   

My heavy 4x8 foot box utility trailer (800 lbs empty) has the axle located 44 inches forward of the back edge.  I suspect the cg of the Hawk, which has an 80 inch long floor, is located forward of 44 inches from the back edge due to the overhang even when the water tanks are empty.  The trailer's own empty cg being forward of the axle will help, too, especially if it's a heavy trailer.  If the camper back edge is even with the back edge of an 8 foot trailer my guess is it you would always have a positive hitch load and it wouldn't try to tip when unhitched.  Don't get in the camper if it's unhitched until the jacks are on the ground, though. 

Assuming a 10 foot trailer has proportional geometry, the axle would be 55 inches forward from the back of the box or deck.  That may be at or in front of the Hawk cg if the back edge of the camper is flush with the back of the trailer.  I would be very careful to understand where the cg is if I was using a 10 foot or longer trailer and wanted the back of the camper at the back edge of the trailer. 

If I felt I needed to know where the cg of my camper was for safety or to prevent property damage I'd measure it myself.  There are several ways that could be done.  If the OP needs help with that I can make suggestions. 

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:21 AM

Having weighed our Tacoma/Fleet, I know our CG is right On the rear axle truck of the truck.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:44 AM

Water is about 8 lbs per gallon - not 2.   

My heavy 4x8 foot box utility trailer (800 lbs empty) has the axle located 44 inches forward of the back edge.  I suspect the cg of the Hawk, which has an 80 inch long floor, is located forward of 44 inches from the back edge due to the overhang even when the water tanks are empty.  The trailer's own empty cg being forward of the axle will help, too, especially if it's a heavy trailer.  If the camper back edge is even with the back edge of an 8 foot trailer my guess is it you would always have a positive hitch load and it wouldn't try to tip when unhitched.  Don't get in the camper if it's unhitched until the jacks are on the ground, though. 

Assuming a 10 foot trailer has proportional geometry, the axle would be 55 inches forward from the back of the box or deck.  That may be at or in front of the Hawk cg if the back edge of the camper is flush with the back of the trailer.  I would be very careful to understand where the cg is if I was using a 10 foot or longer trailer and wanted the back of the camper at the back edge of the trailer. 

If I felt I needed to know where the cg of my camper was for safety or to prevent property damage I'd measure it myself.  There are several ways that could be done.  If the OP needs help with that I can make suggestions. 

====================================================================================

Yikes!  Your are right and I was wrong...

I was giving the weight of one liter of water [2.2 lbs]; not the weight of one gallon @ 8.3 lbs...so yes, 26 gallons @ 216  lbs  IS significant.....

Edited by Wallowa, 23 October 2020 - 03:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users