21 replies to this topic

#1 Ray chill821

Ray chill821

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:11 AM

Hey all! Just placed my deposit this morning for my Bison Overland flatbed shell. After a ton of research, I'm feeling overwhelmed about building out the interior. What's the best layout? How can I utilize the space best? How can I combine functions to allow more space? *screams internally*.
I won't get the shell until March, but of course I'm excited and want to get the planning started. Any resources for build ideas and budget-friendly supplies would be amazing! I'll come back to this post and update with build progress when we get started :)

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:32 AM

Congrats. I have never heard of bison campers until now. Post lots of photos when you get it. Their website doesn't have any.

I always liked the dinette seating in the back of the camper with the kitchen on the side. But get some cardboard and mock up different layouts and see what you like. Unfortunately this would be easier once you get the camper. I would start planning your electrical needs and plumbing needs. Are you going to have solar, fridge, furnace, inverter, 12v USB power outlets, etc. For plumbing are you going to have a toilet? indoor plumbing? water supply etc. It can be overwhelming but can also be the fun part. There are lots of good resources on this forum.

I would recommend using marine grade or stainless steel components and fittings. Normally you can find them through Granger or Mcmaster-Carrs for less than most marine shops. Their websites can take some getting used to but they have almost everything. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:38 AM

Lots of builds have been posted here.  I'd suggest you build in an way that allows you to change/adapt as you go.  I'm on build number 3 and pretty happy with it.... 

#4 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:57 PM

I never heard of Bison, and their minimalist website leaves a lot to be desired for exploring the products.  How did you find out about them?  I checked out the IG, and they look like pretty nice.  However, I didn't see any interior photos.  Their logo is pretty cool, tho!

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:56 PM

Another thing to think about is weight distribution. Batteries and water tank(if you go that route) should be fwd as much as design allows for. Also, If you install an electrical system you'll need to first figure out your power requirements, will you need  both A/C and D/C or just a D/C system? My used Hawk came equipped with a iota charger/power supply which for my power requirements is more complicated than needed(it has been reliable though). If I was doing it myself I would install a stand alone A/C system with a small breaker panel for times when plugged into shore power. D/C system battery(sized to meet power requirements) would be hooked to my solar and all circuits would be distributed through a blue seas switch/fuse panel. As mentioned above, use marine grade connectors/fittings. Use stranded wire as its less likely to fatigue from vibration. In keeping with Vics comment you might think about a modular build out. Take a look at different interior layout here and on you tube lots of great ideas, build what works best for you. 

#6 okiedavid

okiedavid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:05 PM

I don't think Bison has built out any interiors yet. He just got back from the Ozark Rally so might have done something up for that, but his whole philosophy is camping beside the camper more so than in it. They are less than one year old and are just getting started so a lot has already been upgraded from the prototype on the overall build. However, you can see his prototype (made out of a converted Four Wheel Camper) on youtube by looking up his original company name before they changed it, "FourWheel Overland"

FourWheel Overland

Edited by okiedavid, 19 October 2020 - 11:06 PM.

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:18 PM

It seems like a bit of a risky undertaking to order a camper from a company that doesn't seem to have actually completed building a camper yet.   It seems to me that it takes a lot of iterations, testing and feedback to get things just right and there have been a lot of these camper startups of late, many of which have never really delivered fully finished product. 

I built my previous camper from scratch and like Vic, it took me about 3 years and 2-3 redesigns to get it right, and I still had a list of things I would do differently the next time.   This is part of the fun of DIY, but I wouldn't be keen to pay for someone else's learning experience.  For my current camper I bought something proven and have since modified it to my tastes. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 okiedavid

okiedavid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:26 AM

I could be wrong, but I think he has built 3 shells so far, and no interiors other than the prototype.  So if you're looking for a shell, they have worked out the kinks, but like you, I wouldn't want to be the first customer for the inside build-out. On the other hand, you could order it built however you want...

It seems like a bit of a risky undertaking to order a camper from a company that doesn't seem to have actually completed building a camper yet.   It seems to me that it takes a lot of iterations, testing and feedback to get things just right and there have been a lot of these camper startups of late, many of which have never really delivered fully finished product. 

I built my previous camper from scratch and like Vic, it took me about 3 years and 2-3 redesigns to get it right, and I still had a list of things I would do differently the next time.   This is part of the fun of DIY, but I wouldn't be keen to pay for someone else's learning experience.  For my current camper I bought something proven and have since modified it to my tastes. 

Edited by okiedavid, 20 October 2020 - 12:27 AM.

#9 Ray chill821

Ray chill821

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, Bison is brand new. Ill actually be the 12th build. To my understanding, they've been working hard adjusting kinks , addressing issues, and feedback. And there are safeguards in place...he's not naive to peoples concerns. I plan on documenting my build in some fashion so ill keep you guys posted when I get it this spring!

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:19 AM

I am not sure three versions and just a few months of real world use is enough to have really worked out the kinks and have confidence in the product.    But I guess someone has to go first, I just wouldn't want it to be me, at least not without a major discount. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users