6 days 'wandering' in southern Utah...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:20 PM

My apologies for my tardy questions. (We leave tomorrow morning.)

Sioux and I are heading out for six days of just 'messing around' the Escalante/ Grand Staircase/ Waterpocket Fold area. Targets include the Bull Creek Pass Trail, Wolverine Loop and maybe Cathedral Valley.
But hey, as nature/scenery lovers in a Ram 3500 with a Flatbed Grandby we're flexible! (Wet weight almost 11,000# so nothing TOO aggressive!)
We love mild 'no crowds' (OK, no one around!) hiking, light off-roading and super dispersed camping. All suggestions welcomed! Thanks, Steve

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:02 AM

Check out Honaker Trailhead and also Johns Canyon. Also Collins spring Trailhead. Good uncrowded boondocking at each. Fabulous scenery and any kind of hiking you may want.

We are planning on the Wolverine Loop next year -- interested in your experience and advice.

Have a blast!

Edited by AWG_Pics, 22 October 2020 - 12:03 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 SietePicos

SietePicos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:11 AM

Keep an eye out for the Henry Mountains bison herd. They roam all over the Henrys, but this time of year are probably moving to lower elevation on the south end of the range, down by The Horn. You would think several hundred animals of that size are easy to find, but this herd is hunted and very good at making themselves scarce.

Notom Bullfrog Road runs down the east side of Capitol Reef NP, other side of the Waterpocket Fold from the main part of the park. I remember a hike into the red rock from Cedar Mesa campground. From there you can access the Burr Trail dugway, Long Canyon and over to Boulder. Some of the prettiest country in Utah.

Developed BLM camps up high in the pines/aspens at McMillan Springs and Lonesome Beaver. Cedar Mesa is a NPS site down in the pinyon juniper zone. Plenty of dispersed camping in the area.

Enjoy, travel safe and post a report afterward!

#4 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:15 AM

Really great suggestions, guys! I'm printing them out. 

And thanks for the reminder on Johns Canyon. We were intrigued by this road when we came down the Dugway last year. That may make a good early camp tomorrow night after a fairly short drive from Durango. (depending on when we get out of town.)

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:59 AM

We've hiked Sheets Gulch, Peekaboo & Spooky Gulch, Little Wildhorse and Chute Canyons, Headquarters Canyons among others.  I would do all those again.  Special mention goes to Upper Muley Twist.... long day, but you CAN drive to the 4x4 trailhead with a FWC/truck.  

Quite a few dispersed site near all those hikes too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users