20 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:39 AM

Here's a quick trip we made over into western Nevada. We had to change plans and also cut the trip short. We still had our full quota of fun and a good time.

The story and photos are now posted to our blog and you can find it at this link -

Western Great Basin - October 2020

Hope you enjoy! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:10 AM

Great trip report. You made the best of a smoky old crazy 2020. I have seen cheese graters with fewer holes than that building! Love them coyote serenades!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:24 AM

Well, a Happy Birthday to The Lady!  I forgot to check my calendar and wish her the best.

Looks like you made lemonade out of Smokey lemons on the trip, and you’ve narrowed down the archeological site by knowing more about where it isn’t.

Thanks for letting us tag along!

I am haunted by waters

#4 geologyjohn

geologyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:36 AM

Happy Birthday to the boss Lady.
Thanks for posting this trip/blog. I think that I have only been on top of Glass Mtn once, and that was in either 1983 or 1984. Myself and another USGS geologist had our pilot carry us and our Geodolite up to the bench mark to shoot lines Casa Diablo, Mono Craters, Mt. Laurel, etc. The helicopter (Bell Jetranger or Hughes 500) crapped out on the summit, and we had to abandon it and hike cross country down the east side. It was a fun hike in soft volcanic ash, and using our radios, we were able to get another USGS dude to pick us up out there. Possibly near your petroglyphs site ;-)

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

Two images caught my eye:

1) The house with the big chunk of corrugated roofing out front.  From a distance, in these more modern times, that big chunk could have been solar panels.  Made me take a 2nd and 3rd look

2) The pipe with what looks like a ring gear on it.  What was that?  Did that pipe turn somehow?

Thanks for the TR... wonderful to tag along with you!

#6 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

Been a while since I've checked out your blog. Read this TR and the article in Desert Magazine. Wonderful stuff.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#7 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

Nice trip overall, keep out of the PM2.5 smoke!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#8 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for another great trip report. 

Wishing that you stay healthy and your trips continue.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:33 PM

I've been to Glass Mountain near Medicine Lake Ca and haven't heard of this one. Another place to add to the list. What an awesome camping spot overlooking Fish Lake Valley. That feral horse looks pretty fat and sassy!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

2) The pipe with what looks like a ring gear on it.  What was that?  Did that pipe turn somehow?

Thanks for the always splendid TRs!  

The ring gear as well as the races on either side of it ("bands" riding on rollers) caught my eye, as well.  Looks like a motor or a belt-driven gear would have been turning the "pipe".  The rig looks like a rod mill although the chute and what appears to be a heating apparatus on the uphill side mystifies me. A rod mill is a steel or iron cylinder containing many long hardened steel rods.  Chunks of raw ore and some  water are fed by gravity into the upper end of the cylinder and a power supply and gearing rotate the ore and the rods.  As they rotate, the rods come crashing down upon the ore, crushing it to finer and finer size.  I understand that rod mills, ball mills, and for certain stamp mills made quite the racket at the old mine/mill sites.

My mining experience was always in finding the darn stuff (orebodies) rather than knowing how to process ore, so milling, concentrating, and smelting or retorting in the case of mercury has always been a "black box" thing for me.

Great looking pics and the old article from just a year after I was born was terrific!

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users