Photo
- - - - -

My new camper and first trip out-overjoyed!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:54 PM

Hey everyone,

I picked up my 2020 Grandby about a month ago now and within a week went on a 1500 mile trip on/off road down into Baja.  Gosh what a shakedown cruise without much prep.  in general, I have gotten accustomed to crappy QA on things I buy.  For instance I recently bought a $14K tractor implement brand new from the factory.  After a few months of waiting, I got it with a number of hydraulic hoses that leaked, levers that were stuck and just a general feeling that no one cared to check before it left the factory.  Literally it was delivered with a puddle of hydraulic fluid under it the size of a trash can lid.  There was NONE of that with FWC.  Everything worked, everything was tight, and everything that I should have received I did receive.  Hats off to them.  I basically bought it, loaded it and left for Mexico.  Everything worked- and still works!

A couple observations that will probs be nothing new to any of you.

- the 3 way Dometic fridge was a pig on DC.  I have 2 AGM batteries and that fridge would suck the batteries from full down to 11.9v in 4 hours.  As someone suggested run that fridge on propane even while driving. I did that with good results.  

- I used a lot more DC than I thought I would.  Note we were in Baja and it was hot.  We constantly were refilling and cooling our water bottles.  We drank a lot of cold water.  I was running the dometic fridge on propane, the water pump as needed, the ceiling fan ~8 hours per night, an external fridge freeze that pulled about 80w continuous, and once per day a 12 cup coffee maker.  I had brought a Goal Zero 3000w/hr battery pack to supplement the 2 AGM batteries.  I also brought a 1.6KW generator.  Pretty much every other day I needed  to run the generator for some hours to bring things back up to full charge.  My brother brought a goal zero backpack solar for 200 watts which consistently produced 6 hours of 120 watts.  I used his for two days straight and this wasn't enough - by probs at least another 100 watts of actual input.    In the short term the generator is a good solution although noisy and the issue of gasoline.  The nice thing about the generator is that it is a sure thing and low cost.  

- I used a lot more watering in the FWC than I do if I have the water in jugs.  I have years of camping under my belt and know pretty much how much water I consume.  I was surprised how quickly we ran through water given the sink and shower.  I did enjoy have the sink AND the shower. :-).  I need a good solution to fill the FWC water tank without using a hose.  Some places I could only get water in 5 gallon jugs, which were a pain to try to pour into the camper fill port 6 ft up the in the air.  

- Based on my casual observation didn't notice much difference in temp given my dark grey sides.  Quite good ventilation through the screens and fans.  If it was hot outside it was hot inside.  Just my .02.  Also I bought a little USB/battery portable fan to blow right onto my wife and I in the bed.  It was a godsend.  

- Nothing broke even though I was bombing down washboard roads for 10-50 miles at a time.  Quite well engineered in my opinion.  I did religiously air down my truck tires.

I had some pretty good sag in my stock F350 until I inflated the airbags.  The stock truck would look odd going down the road with a loaded Grandby.  I had to put about 50psi in my airbags to offset the camper and my trailer tongue weight.  

All in all Im super happy and so is my wife.  

steve

IMG_0191.jpeg?width=450&height=278&fit=b

DJI_0064.jpeg?width=450&height=278&fit=b

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#2 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

DJI_0136.jpeg?width=285&height=175&fit=b

IMG_4642.jpeg

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

Great TR, thanks for posting.

For filling the camper from 5 gal containers, try something like this

https://www.amazon.c...3998605&sr=8-18

#4 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:12 PM

It is great to hear a positive report and our experience has been similar.  The only minor problem we have had since picking up our Grandby in August is the switch on one of our fans failed, but FWC fixed it right away.

I think you should be able to find some kind of battery-powered transfer pump to help you fill the water tank from 5 gallon jugs.  I have a large funnel with a flexible tip that helps, but you still have to lift the jugs, so a pump would be much better.

I'm a little surprised that you need airbags with the F350 - I assume that is because of the additional weight of your trailer?  We have our Grandby on an F350 and can hardly feel it back there.

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#5 Scott81621

Scott81621

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:12 PM

Sounds like a great trip!  How did you find the Covid exsposer in Baja?  Did you have any hastles or concerns?

#6 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:41 AM

Congrats on the new Grandby.  We too have a Grandby that we bought new in Dec. 2016 so it is four years old now.  It also is a self-contained model and it has now made four trips to Baja for 2 months each and driven many miles of washboard road.  It's on a Dodge 2500 shortbed with the tailgate down.  We have the Isotherm fridge and, like you, have 2 AGM batteries and the 160 panel on top.  We also have a Casita trailer with a 3-way Dometic refridgerator so I'm familiar with the 3-way.  You have learned a good lesson that you don't run it on DC unless the motor is running.  What I do is a long drive with the fridge on DC, but shut it off a half hour before arriving at our destination to give the battery a chance to charge back up.  Then put it on gas after arriving.  

We have been going to Baja in the winter when it's not so hot, so have not had to run the ceiling fan that much.  As you have discovered, water is a real premium in Baja, so we do not use the built in shower there, but rather a 3 gal agricultural weed sprayer that I picked up at Intermountain Farmer.  I replaced the hose with a piece of 8' rubber fuel line and removed the wand and just screwed the tip onto the sprayhandle.  This shower uses much less water and we actually bathe in the sea and just rinse the salt water off with the shower.  I have a 12 volt pump I bought at Harbor Freight and two 10 foot RV hoses for transfering water up into the tank, although sometimes it is possible at the Purificada to have them run a long hose (mangera) right into the filler.  We also do not use the water heater because you have to run too much water for it to get warm.  We just boil the water we need on the stove for cooking or doing dishes.  Having a trailer allows you to carry extra water jugs which allows us to stay longer at a remote campsite.  I also carry extra gas and a generator in my trailer along with an extra fridge (including batteries and solar panel to run it) to use as a dedicated freezer as the freezer in our Isotherm is quite small.  

I use Timbrens rather than airbags on my 2500.  The springs on the 2500 are soft for comfort when it is not loaded, so when you put a Grandby on it, it drops down a bit before hitting the stiffer springs.  The Timbrens just bring it up level.  I also have them on the front and recommend them on the front for anyone carrying weight.  

You didn't mention if you got a solar panel and controller.  I would really recommend one.  Our 160 watt works well, but we supplement it with a 100 watt Renogy Suitcase Solar panel as well as a backup Honda 2200 generator which I use for charging our Ebikes.

I'm glad your Grandby has been trouble free.  Ours needed to go back to the factory due to an oil canning issue with the roof, and our Cassette toilet needed to be replaced (not FWC's fault).  Our dealer in Salt Lake City was great to deal with.  I love our Grandby! 

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:49 AM

"We also do not use the water heater because you have to run too much water for it to get warm." 

I have a Grandby on order due next May.  Can you explain more about this statement?  I've been having second thoughts about ordering the hot water system (considering dropping it), and would like to understand the limitation you are describing.  Thanks.

Edited by Jon R, 30 October 2020 - 04:49 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#8 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

"We also do not use the water heater because you have to run too much water for it to get warm." 

I have a Grandby on order due next May.  Can you explain more about this statement?  I've been having second thoughts about ordering the hot water system (considering dropping it), and would like to understand the limitation you are describing.  Thanks.

Jon R,

We have the water heater and I believe what the comment referred to is that the water sitting in the hot side supply line cools down between uses. This cooler water will need to be drawn first before you get water from the hot water tank. It’s not very much water and we use it or save it in a cup. Typically we use the water heater occasionally for a shower when water conservation is not a concern. The most use for the water heater is in cooler seasons when night time temperatures may drop into the 20s. All of our plumbing lines are located in one cabinet and running the water heater radiates a lot of heat into the area keeping it warm. Some people report heating the water in the tank and then draining it back into the main tank to warm that water. They then refill the hot water tank, repeat as necessary. Bottom line we like the shower option which comes with the water heater, but it takes away from storage space.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

I'll add a big congratulations on your new camper and many here share your excitement. Travel safe. Have fun. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:24 PM

as well as a backup Honda 2200 generator which I use for charging our Ebikes.

Can you tell us how long it takes to charge your Ebikes with the Honda? Thanks! We are looking into getting a couple of E-mountain bikes and don't know if charging them off of solar is even practical. Maybe a generator is the way to go.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users