Dafinga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:23 PM

Hi Folks,

First post here.  Looking forward to more....I bought campercamper's rig.  It is a 2015 Tundra flatbed with a 2017 Hawk on the back.  Super rig for sure but I am going to be upgrading the wheels and tires.  Currently he is running stock 18" 2015 TRD wheels that are 8 inches wide with a 60mm offset.  He is running some Michelins on the truck at 275/65/18.  He has upgraded the shocks up front and in the rear to OME based on the truck's weight.  It rides great.  The UCA's are stock. 

Heres the question:  I want a little more tire towards the road as he is a good 3 inches in from the front and 2" in from the edge of the wheel wells in the rear.  I am thinking of running some 8.5" Method wheels with a 25mm offset and some General Grabber A/TX's at 275/70/18.  I ran the number through the calculator at willtheyfit.com and it looks like it could be perfect.  I don't think I will be straining the stock UCA's and I have enough room in the wheel wells to accomodate.  

Any thoughts?  Should I pull the trigger? I spend a ton of time in the snow in BC and the 3 snowflake rating is really important up there.

Thanks in advance....

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:32 PM

Congrats on the rig!  Sweet setup!

Are you more interested in filling in the wheel wells, getting more stability by moving the wheels/tires outboard or some other reason?

I get the snowflake... I'm in Calgary and we go skiing/snowshoeing in the winter.  I am very happy with my Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 tires.

#3 Dafinga

Dafinga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:54 AM

That setup won't take up that much more room and I like having a little more sidewall. As for moving them outboard, I like the aesthetic.  I was looking at the Geolanders as well.  It's nice to have so many options these days.

#4 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:41 PM

More sidewall can mean more swaying. Higher load range tires "E" category is what most people here go with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#5 Dafinga

Dafinga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:01 PM

Understood and all the tires I am contemplating are E rated. I would not go with anything less.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:28 PM

Welcome to the cult

Will any different tire/wheel set up change how the anti lock brakes work?

That might be something to check on.

Congrats on the new rig.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users