6 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 October 2020 - 12:17 AM

Our furnace is 7 to 8 years old. We just started to have an occasional issue with the furnace not starting. It would run through the cycle - blower on, click, but no ignition, and the furnace would shut down as it should. Restarting with the thermostat and it would light.

Back home, I did a visual inspection. Nothing was obvious until I pulled out the burner and found it rusty with the holes blocked in the area below the ends of the igniter. This looked like a good candidate for causing the issue.

8516-IV-002-copy.jpg

After a trip to the online furnace parts store, a package arrived with a new burner, igniter, orifice, and sail switch. The burner assembly is easily removed. Unhook the propane supply line (turn it off at the tank first and be prepared for a bit of propane as the line empties), unclip a couple of wire spade connectors, and 4 sheet metal screws.

Out with the old, in with the new.

8516-IV-001-copy.jpg

The old igniter had a bit of rust.

8516-IV-003-copy.jpg

The new igniter came with a new wire (no spade connector) and a felt gasket not present with the original assembly. Also pictured are the old/new orifices.

8516-IV-004-copy.jpg

The new orifice installed.

8516-IV-005-copy.jpg

The igniter is installed through the hole above and the two sheet metal screws are the attachment points for the burner.

8516-IV-006-copy.jpg

The new igniter in place. I positioned the ends of the igniter a quarter inch apart and one eighth of an inch above the burner.

8516-IV-007-copy.jpg

The burner and gas assembly ready to be reinstalled. The black wire is the new wire from the igniter.

8516-IV-008-copy.jpg

The burner slides in on the right and the exhaust on the left. I found the screws out of the two holes, bottom right and left, empty with the sheet metal screws rolling about. I replaced them with one size larger (#10) screws and they snugged up nice and tight. The pink rubber cover was removed and the supply line fittings lowered out of the way to easily slide the burner in.

8516-IV-009-copy.jpg

The sail switch is on the inside of the black half cylinder cover. Remove some wires to get them out of the way and the four screws on the four corners. Rotate the cover around and here's the sail switch.

8516-IV-011-copy.jpg

8516-IV-012-copy.jpg

The new sail switch in place.

8516-IV-013-copy.jpg

The burner and exhaust in place. The black igniter wire is attached to the new orange wire from the mother board and a wire tie to hold them in place.

8516-IV-014-copy.jpg

The cover back in place. The wires attached and wire ties in place to keep it all neat. The new thick orange wire (included with the igniter) runs down to and connects with the black wire from the igniter.

8516-IV-015-copy.jpg

We've run it several times, as we would on a trip. It has started up flawlessly every time. It appears to run great. Where shall we go?

I thought this would be of interest, including the photos of the various parts I hear people mention here on Wander the West. I expect that most models of these furnaces are all very similar. Hope it helps and best of luck with your repairs and projects.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 31 October 2020 - 12:28 AM

What a great post and I’ll save it for the inevitable failure and subsequent repair. It’s important because I still don’t trust the newer units and would rather try a repair before going with a new replacement. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such detailed report.

Ron.

#3 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for posting this information.  I have been having intermittent problems with my 15 year old heater starting.  My backup plan for heat was to purchase a Mr Buddy heater.  Unfortunately I had to use Mr Buddy a few times on my trip to Montana.   You have given me a place to stay looking for the problem.  Thanks.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#4 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:33 PM

Ski,

Nice job on the write up for your furnace repair. It was very clear, easy to follow, and the accompanying photos were great. I’m sure many people will be able to benefit from your efforts. Great work, and glad it seems to have resolved the problem. Reminds of your extensive front end rebuild of your truck. A little bit of fortitude and determination often keeps things mechanical running for many more years.

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 November 2020 - 12:38 AM

Thanks Ski for this. Very timely- our furnace has just started acting up. I wonder if you could post a link to your source of parts- might save people some searching. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Ski for this. Very timely- our furnace has just started acting up. I wonder if you could post a link to your source of parts- might save people some searching. :)

Al, this is the "tune up" kit I found online -

Atwood Furnace 8516-IV Tune Up Kit

The kit included a new limit switch - placed back in the furnace that turns the burner on and off during the heating cycle to keep the furnace from overheating - that I did not replace. I did not want to dig that deep in the furnace and I am confident our limit switch was operating properly. So I have a spare on hand. :) The link includes a nice breakdown diagram of the furnace and parts.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:22 AM

Al, this is the "tune up" kit I found online -

Thanks!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic