• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:01 AM

Each of our vehicles carries a Microstart; they are brilliant. However, I still prefer to have a redundant main battery system, which as has been mentioned does need an isolator. (And remember those lithium power packs need recharging too!)

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

I'm not sure that those lithium jump-start packs want to be constantly charging. My XP-10's appear to hold a charge for a very long time. This is something that I've tested. Yeah that's what it is, I'm not that forgetful. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not.

Maybe their charge controller is fine with having always power applied or always having power applied while driving, but I'd rather not take that chance. Besides, this opens up an opportunity for a Project! I've toyed with various schemes to intermittently charge them while leaving them plugged in. At first I was thinking of a timer that would only close the circuit to the power port for some set time period. Finding the parts to do that simply without resorting to using an Arduino or similar wasn't going well.

Then I realized that a delay-on relay could work. If I wanted to limit each charge time I could use a delay-off relay in series with the delay-on relay. Set the delay-on relay to delay turning on for ~20 minutes after each engine start, which is longer than most of my drives and would only turn on during a trip of some sort. That would effectively space out the charging intervals. Found those, they're only $63 each. and $63 again for the delay-off relay. Argh. Too much cost for the application. Back to thinking on this......

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:45 PM

I don't keep our Microstarts on constant charge. Recharge once every few months is sufficient.

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:44 AM

Yeah, if I could only remember to actually do that..... :)

Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,019 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 November 2020 - 05:28 AM

Do you have or are you likely to add a winch at some point? That might be your motivation to add a second battery. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

Do you have or are you likely to add a winch at some point? That might be your motivation to add a second battery. 

Oh man. Very good point. You have just convinced me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#17 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:14 AM

I woke up one morning in the snow country and my truck would not start.  I had to jump start it with the camper house battery which i had to remove because I don't have 2-way wiring to the truck.  I worked fine until I was able to buy a replacement battery.  It was a bit of hassle but not enough to make me want to have two batteries in the truck plus a third battery in the camper.   If your camper is on full time you will always have that reserve house battery.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,019 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:05 PM

I've jumped mine before with the camper batteries. Kind of slow with 10ga wire. I've since upgraded to 6ga but I also put new batts in the truck. Haven't needed to use the new wiring since (either direction). 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:36 AM

For those who remember when manual transmissions were the norm and fuel pumps were mechanical, I’ve been reminded the easy/hard way that the days of get rolling down hill and pop or bump starting a dead rig are largely a thing of the past. I just aborted a mission to recover my brother who’s Ranger battery died while camped out. He tried the roll and start repeatedly to no avail. I got lucky, I was only about an hour or so out of town when he called that a couple Chucker hunters gave him a jump. He was on day two of no battery.

Point is; if you get truly remote, in places where largely you’re left to your own devices for recovery/repair, for awhile at least and do so fairly frequently, either some sort of redundant or auxiliary system is probably not a bad idea. The work arounds are fewer than they used to be.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

For those who remember when manual transmissions were the norm and fuel pumps were mechanical, I’ve been reminded the easy/hard way that the days of get rolling down hill and pop or bump starting a dead rig are largely a thing of the past. I just aborted a mission to recover my brother who’s Ranger battery died while camped out. He tried the roll and start repeatedly to no avail. I got lucky, I was only about an hour or so out of town when he called that a couple Chucker hunters gave him a jump. He was on day two of no battery.

Point is; if you get truly remote, in places where largely you’re left to your own devices for recovery/repair, for awhile at least and do so fairly frequently, either some sort of redundant or auxiliary system is probably not a bad idea. The work arounds are fewer than they used to be.

That’s why I keep a jump start pack with me.  

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users