Photo
- - - - -

New tires needed. 3 snowflake rated is a must 5 choices in my list.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#11 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:10 PM

Cooper AT3s are very good. I wouldn't recommend Goodyear Duratracs they are loud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:23 PM

XLT

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 07 November 2020 - 12:43 AM

Cooper AT3s are very good. I wouldn't recommend Goodyear Duratracs they are loud.

Curious how you would compare the two for ability in the snow?

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:25 AM

Here is the ExPo tire review from 2014.   It might provide some answers.

I am haunted by waters

#15 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 November 2020 - 04:46 AM

Both are good. I feel the duratracs are more showy and a little more aggressive. I just put new Cooper AT3s on my truck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#16 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:50 PM

We have the Toyo OC’s on our Super Duty and so far so good. We probably don’t get as much snow as you do though.

I also have the Falcon Wildpeaks on y Gladiator and have been impressed with them also but only have about 9K on them.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#17 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:24 PM

Here is the ExPo tire review from 2014.   It might provide some answers.

Unless I missed it I didn't see much in that test in regards to snow except mention of siping and such

Both are good. I feel the duratracs are more showy and a little more aggressive. I just put new Cooper AT3s on my truck.

The reason I ask is I've been running the Duratracs for three years now, and am due for a new set this winter. They are the first set of tires I've owned that have been snowflake winter rated and that was a huge selling point for me as snow performance is probably where I see most of my adverse conditions. on road or dirt.

I purchased after reading reviews and have been extremely happy. Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by what I could get away with. BUT, they are the only winter tire I've ever run. The Coopers have never really been on my radar, but if your opinion is they are both equal in snow, it's something for me to think about  

#18 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:26 AM

The 'Mountain Snowflake' symbol doesn't really mean the tires are snow tires, just that they are a little better than 'all seasons'.   On my last camper I had BFG ATs for the summer and then Blizzacks for the winter.   Even though the BFGs are 'mountain snowflake' rated it was still night and day between those and the true winter tires in the snow.   I would say that the blizzacks provide more snow capability than 4wd.  

If you really are interested in better snow performance, then true snow tires (Nokians, Blizzacks, Michelin X-Ice etc) are worth a try.  I can usually find a cheap set of factory rims on craigslist for ~$200 to use in the winter, then I can switch tires/wheels myself.   Overall it doesn't cost you much as both winter and summer tires last twice as long. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#19 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:36 AM

PS I am also interested in this thread as I will need new tires soon.   Not all that happy that I only have ~30k on a BFG AT KO2s and they are down to < 1/2 tread.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:47 AM

Unless I missed it I didn't see much in that test in regards to snow except mention of siping and such

The reason I ask is I've been running the Duratracs for three years now, and am due for a new set this winter. They are the first set of tires I've owned that have been snowflake winter rated and that was a huge selling point for me as snow performance is probably where I see most of my adverse conditions. on road or dirt.

I purchased after reading reviews and have been extremely happy. Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by what I could get away with. BUT, they are the only winter tire I've ever run. The Coopers have never really been on my radar, but if your opinion is they are both equal in snow, it's something for me to think about  

Post #6 has Ski3pin’s Cooper review including his rating in snow.  I would rate them pretty much the same, although I don’t have nearly the backcountry time on my Coopers.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users