Photo
- - - - -

New tires needed. 3 snowflake rated is a must 5 choices in my list.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Dafinga

Dafinga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

Think that I have made my decision and I will be going for the Cooper AT3 XLT's.  

#22 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:28 AM

That's a good tire. I was down to that and the Wildpeak and chose the later. It's probably a coin flip. I did just do the Steens Loop breaking trail in the deepest snow with multiple full face shots over the the top and 5 degrees at the summit. I was convinced that I'd get stuck in multiple spots and have to shovel, chain, and retreat, but never did. If the loop isn't closed soon, I'd be surprised. With another snowfall, it'll be impossible to know where the road is in multiple spots without someone having gone before. I think I probably would have made it with the Coopers too. 

Edited by eyemgh, 10 November 2020 - 12:29 AM.

#23 Dafinga

Dafinga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:40 AM

Folks....the Cooper AT3 XLT is not snowflake rated.  I do travel to Canada in the winter (not this winter) and the snowflake rating is a must.  Anyone running the E rated non XLT Coopers?

Thanks

#24 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 11 November 2020 - 08:05 PM

I have the AT3 LT Load range E and they are snowflake rated. My understanding is the difference is the XLT has more knobs on the shoulder and more mud terrain oriented.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201111_113204 - Copy.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#25 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:49 PM

I was speaking of the LT too. If you do a lot of winter driving, my personal preference is to not do a tire that isn't triple peak snow flake rated unless I switch to dedicated snows in the winter. That's why I ended up with the Wildpeak. 

#26 overtheborder

overtheborder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho and Southern BC

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:18 AM

I recently purchased a set of Cooper AT3 LT and am very happy with these tires. I have around 4,000 miles on them with most of that being a XC trip back west this fall in some heavy rains. More recently had them on USFS roads. No complaints and preferred over my previous BFG. My Cooper AT3 LT have the three peak snow flake rated.

Question: We usually spend much of the winter at our place in BC but with the border restrictions we have built a thermal pack and are going to be using our camper for skiing down here in ID, WA, OR, and MT. I have always run studless snow tires on my passenger cars and haven't put a lot of winter miles on my truck/camper, so I have not run dedicated snows in the past. But given our change in situations, I am considering a set this year.

I see that Ski3Pin gave good snow performance review for the Coopers. And Tire Rack also liked this tire in the snow. In addition to Rando's earlier input, I am interested in hearing other opinions on the Cooper vs a dedicated snow tire.

Edited by overtheborder, 01 December 2020 - 03:43 AM.

#27 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:54 AM

I recently purchased a set of Cooper AT3 LT and am very happy with these tires. I have around 4,000 miles on them with most of that being a XC trip back west this fall in some heavy rains. More recently had them on USFS roads. No complaints and preferred over my previous BFG. My Cooper AT3 LT have the three peak snow flake rated.

Question: We usually spend much of the winter at our place in BC but with the border restrictions we have built a thermal pack and are going to be using our camper for skiing down here in ID, WA, OR, and MT. I have always run studless snow tires on my passenger cars and haven't put a lot of winter miles on my truck/camper, so I have not run dedicated snows in the past. But given our change in situations, I am considering a set this year.

I see that Ski3Pin gave good snow performance review for the Coopers. And Tire Rack also liked this tire in the snow. In addition to Rando's earlier input, I am interested in hearing other opinions on the Cooper vs a dedicated snow tire.

This is not a comparison of the Cooper to dedicated snows, but the Falken Wildpeak. I'm making what I think is a fair assumption that they are similar to the AT3 in the snow.

We are also a skiing family with a son who grew up racing. We always have run dedicated snows on our other vehicles. We decided to try the Triple Peak Snow Flake Wildpeak to see if we could avoid the swap when we got the truck this year. I made a run to the Steens and got into snow deep enough that I assumed I'd be shoveling out (postholed above my knees when I jumped out at the summit to snap a photo...at 5 degrees...dooh!), chaining and retreating, but I made it through. Performance was on par with my non-studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas on my Pilot. The only car I've ever had that did better was an Element with Studded Hakkapeliittas and that was probably more about the wheelbase and weight than the tire. These are clearly better than the Toyo winter tire (which is really bad), and similar to Hakkas and Blizzaks. I think the Coopers will do well. 

#28 overtheborder

overtheborder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho and Southern BC

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for that experience with your Wildpeaks. Useful.

#29 ronaldos

ronaldos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 01:10 PM

I am using Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST tires, very satisfied with it. The tires are very heavy at 57 pounds each. Owned these before on a previous trailer and loved them.

#30 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 31 October 2021 - 04:13 AM

I choose MIchelin Agilis Crosstour M/S.  3 peak rated.  They work well on wet and dry pavement as well as on graded dirt and snow.    A big plus is that they are quiet on pavement and are high mileage tires.

Edited by ckent323, 03 November 2021 - 01:31 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users