Best Cold Weather Tips

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 05:56 AM

We have a 2018 Raven Shell with a thermopack and a factory installed propane heater. Winter camping is not our usual thing, but we do it occasionally and sometimes you get surprised.

I spent two days in Eastern OR this weekend and the temps were in the mid teens at night. The bed was quite cold, especially on the forward side where there wasn't the extra layer of the extension not pulled out. 

The simple solution is to pull it out and just sleep scooted over to that side (the one with camper interior and not exterior under it). That won't work when both of us travel though.

I've searched the archives and haven't used the right terms to come up with a solution.

Long story short, what do you do to insulate better under the forward portion of the bed and what bedding do you use. Neither of us really like sleeping bags even though we've both spent plenty of nights in them. The camper was a chance to rid ourselves of that. Maybe a more rectangular, car camping style of bag? Currently we use down comforters, but I needed both of them.

Thanks for the advice!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4457.jpg

Edited by eyemgh, 10 November 2020 - 05:58 AM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

Try a thin sheet of pink construction foam under the mattress, maybe 1/2” or so.  I also recommend a product like Hyper Vent that allows air under the mattress to reduce condensation.  Hyper Vent also adds a bit of cushion.  The FWC mattress was too hard for my old bones.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Remote1

Remote1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:47 PM

Just got back from southern Utah where it got down to 0 F one night. I use an insulated Termarest pad under me.  With the furnace set at 42 degrees I never got cold.  But anything metal on the roof or walls did have frozen condensation that started to drip in my coffee during breakfast.  The Hyper Vent looks like a grat idea and a lot cheaper.

#4 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

How thick can it be built up and how do you avoid a hump when it’s pulled out to a queen? 

#5 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:10 PM

\ I use an insulated Termarest pad under me.  

I do exactly the same and it works great. 

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:25 PM

Just got back from southern Utah where it got down to 0 F one night. I use an insulated Termarest pad under me.  With the furnace set at 42 degrees I never got cold.  But anything metal on the roof or walls did have frozen condensation that started to drip in my coffee during breakfast.  The Hyper Vent looks like a grat idea and a lot cheaper.

How did you deal with water freezing in camper?  [plumbing]

#7 Remote1

Remote1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 05:20 PM

I emptied/purged the water system before we left, I didn't want to have to even worry about it freezing.  It was about 11 degrees in the Black Hills of Dakota the first night and the forcast for the first part of the trip was, cold. Used a solar shower by midweek. 

#8 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 05:44 PM

How did you deal with water freezing in camper?  [plumbing]

Mine is a shell without water and gray tanks. It was plenty warm inside to keep the water I brought from freezing.

As I consider my next camper though, I wrestle with water management. Going without is WAY easier, but less convenient for sure. Washing dishes in sub freezing weather for example is not too fun. What I ended up doing on this trip was only "cooking" coffee. The rest of my food didn't need to be heated and didn't generate dishes. In warmer weather we wash outdoors. 

I do exactly the same and it works great. 

Old school inflating ones, new old school closed cell, or new new school insulated air channels? 

Also, pads under the FWC mattress or on top?

Thanks!

Edited by eyemgh, 10 November 2020 - 05:57 PM.

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:41 PM

Try a thin sheet of pink construction foam under the mattress, maybe 1/2” or so.  I also recommend a product like Hyper Vent that allows air under the mattress to reduce condensation.  Hyper Vent also adds a bit of cushion.  The FWC mattress was too hard for my old bones.

Sage,

Concept and products makes sense; air circulation is smart...but a question before I lay down the bucks; how much does the Hyper Vent raise the mattress and bedding?  Concern is about dropping the top and not contacting the bedding or inhibiting the top as it comes down..

Thanks..Phil

#10 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:46 PM

Mine is a shell without water and gray tanks. It was plenty warm inside to keep the water I brought from freezing.

As I consider my next camper though, I wrestle with water management. Going without is WAY easier, but less convenient for sure. Washing dishes in sub freezing weather for example is not too fun. What I ended up doing on this trip was only "cooking" coffee. The rest of my food didn't need to be heated and didn't generate dishes. In warmer weather we wash outdoors. 

Old school inflating ones, new old school closed cell, or new new school insulated air channels? 

Also, pads under the FWC mattress or on top?

Thanks!

I use the old school "self inflating" ones. The blue ones I'm sure we've all had. I had a couple that have since been replaced with lighter inflatable ones for my back packing but these work great for this purpose.

fourthermarestsintent.jpg

Mine are first layer, against the wood, then the FWC cushion (mattress) and then a sealey mattress topper, then my double sleeping bag which is like two queen bed quilts held together with two zippers. 

Edited by patrkbukly, 10 November 2020 - 06:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users