Best Cold Weather Tips

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#11 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:26 PM

I use the old school "self inflating" ones. The blue ones I'm sure we've all had. I had a couple that have since been replaced with lighter inflatable ones for my back packing but these work great for this purpose.

fourthermarestsintent.jpg

Mine are first layer, against the wood, then the FWC cushion (mattress) and then a sealey mattress topper, then my double sleeping bag which is like two queen bed quilts held together with two zippers. 

Makes me wish I'd kept my old ones.  :D

I decided to get three Nemo Switchbacks. We'll experiment with them on top and below the FWC mattress. I ordered some Reflectix to make window covers too. 

Thanks!

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

Makes me wish I'd kept my old ones.  :D

I decided to get three Nemo Switchbacks. We'll experiment with them on top and below the FWC mattress. I ordered some Reflectix to make window covers too. 

Thanks!

Reflectix only has about a R1 insulation value.  You might be better off checking with a fabric store to see what kind of quilted materials they have.

I am haunted by waters

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:51 PM

Sage,

Concept and products makes sense; air circulation is smart...but a question before I lay down the bucks; how much does the Hyper Vent raise the mattress and bedding?  Concern is about dropping the top and not contacting the bedding or inhibiting the top as it comes down..

Thanks..Phil

Phil, in my Northern Lite, I’d estimate the hypervent at 3/4” high, so add a 1/2” of construction foam, and it’s still pretty reasonable.  

I am haunted by waters

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:03 PM

Phil, in my Northern Lite, I’d estimate the hypervent at 3/4” high, so add a 1/2” of construction foam, and it’s still pretty reasonable.  

Thanks I will order from the site you posted..Amazon has a similar product, but a marine store makes more sense...I am after moisture reduction more than insulation.. for me, if I add the high R-value foam board that will only trap more moisture... 

Appreciate all the info given by everyone...

Phil

#15 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:31 PM

Reflectix only has about a R1 insulation value.  You might be better off checking with a fabric store to see what kind of quilted materials they have.

As a reflective insulator, it's a little confusing as to what type of R you'll actually get. It depends on the air space you can create. We know reflective car window screens work to keep heat low even though their conductive R value is minimal even with minimal air space. That's heat entering though. Maybe something that's a conductive insulator would work better. For now, until I can clear up some of the confusion, I cancelled the Reflectix. Thanks!

#16 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:45 AM

Reflectix under a mattress doesn't make much sense. It will simply net R1.1, just the conductive decrease of the material. This is because there's no air gap. On a window though, there is air inside the camper (and there can be air between the window and the Reflectix) that can work to increase the R-value by decreasing radiant loss (I think I have that term right). Below is a good controlled analysis of Reflectix and a commercially available quilted option versus no covering. I'm back to buying Reflectix. Ha!

https://www.buildits...eatTransfer.htm

#17 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:59 AM

I have to admit reading this thread is a bit disconcerting .

My Hawk shell is on order and I will be picking up this winter with an immediate cold weather trip planned.

The biggest reasons I'm upgrading from a topper on the back of my truck is so I could get a warm, comfortable nights rest in sub freezing temps. Seems I'm reading so much about ways to upgrade the bedding as many find it not comfortable, and even staying warm with a furnace seems a challenge. Was I naive to think I could set the temp in the mid 60s on a snowy night and achieve this?
I'm having the arctic package installed.

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:16 AM

I have to admit reading this thread is a bit disconcerting .

My Hawk shell is on order and I will be picking up this winter with an immediate cold weather trip planned.

The biggest reasons I'm upgrading from a topper on the back of my truck is so I could get a warm, comfortable nights rest in sub freezing temps. Seems I'm reading so much about ways to upgrade the bedding as many find it not comfortable, and even staying warm with a furnace seems a challenge. Was I naive to think I could set the temp in the mid 60s on a snowy night and achieve this?
I'm having the arctic package installed.

I think you’ll be fine.  Yes, some cold can creep up from the cab over, but it can be managed.  Lots of folks in pop up campers use theirs in every season.  Take a couple of short trips into cold country to learn what works, and what needs to be improved.  

Camping wise, make sure you wipe down condensation inside on the fabric before lowering your top.  Good ventilation when sleeping helps move moisture from breathing out.  When home, raise the top and let it ventilate. Pull and air your mattress if you detect moisture under it.   I am a proponent of Hyper Vent to help manage mattress issues.

I am haunted by waters

#19 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:59 AM

I think you’ll be fine.  Yes, some cold can creep up from the cab over, but it can be managed.  Lots of folks in pop up campers use theirs in every season.  Take a couple of short trips into cold country to learn what works, and what needs to be improved.  

Camping wise, make sure you wipe down condensation inside on the fabric before lowering your top.  Good ventilation when sleeping helps move moisture from breathing out.  When home, raise the top and let it ventilate. Pull and air your mattress if you detect moisture under it.   I am a proponent of Hyper Vent to help manage mattress issues.

Ordering Hyper vent.

#20 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:21 AM

We've added a 2" memory foam mattress on top of the FWC cushions, and that helps with heat retention.  And I'm not sure there is a supplement for a quality down 0 degree sleeping bag to keep you warm in the camper.  Personally, I love a cold fall or winter night with the windows open and being tucked down in my bag.    

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users