83 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:43 AM

I have to admit reading this thread is a bit disconcerting .

My Hawk shell is on order and I will be picking up this winter with an immediate cold weather trip planned.

The biggest reasons I'm upgrading from a topper on the back of my truck is so I could get a warm, comfortable nights rest in sub freezing temps. Seems I'm reading so much about ways to upgrade the bedding as many find it not comfortable, and even staying warm with a furnace seems a challenge. Was I naive to think I could set the temp in the mid 60s on a snowy night and achieve this?
I'm having the arctic package installed.

I find the FWC mattress just fine and comfortable; if I buy the Hyper Vent it is only a precautionary move to lessen any condensation under the FWC mattress...my forced air heat will drive you out of our Hawk...even at 45-50 degree temp set it can get too hot in the Hawk, remember you sleep high near the ceiling and heat rises...we sleep with at least one and most often two of our roof vents open [no fans] perhaps 2 " even when temps are low, raining or snowing...as stated you need air circulating because we humans exhale a LOT of moisture...when cooking I always open the window above the stove and roof vent, usually with the fan on low..to vent moisture and CO/Co2

You say you are buying a 'shell'...but mention setting the temp...so I assume your shell has the FWC forced air heat, which does not introduce any moisture into the Hawk...we have the 'arctic pack' and it does create dead space of insulation, but condensation between it and the Hypalon sides can be an issue if you don't vent the camper.

FWC makes a quality product and our '16 Hawk has not disappoint in anyway..Enjoy!

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 11 November 2020 - 04:44 AM.

#22 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 05:58 AM

I find the FWC mattress just fine and comfortable; if I buy the Hyper Vent it is only a precautionary move to lessen any condensation under the FWC mattress...my forced air heat will drive you out of our Hawk...even at 45-50 degree temp set it can get too hot in the Hawk, remember you sleep high near the ceiling and heat rises...we sleep with at least one and most often two of our roof vents open [no fans] perhaps 2 " even when temps are low, raining or snowing...as stated you need air circulating because we humans exhale a LOT of moisture...when cooking I always open the window above the stove and roof vent, usually with the fan on low..to vent moisture and CO/Co2

You say you are buying a 'shell'...but mention setting the temp...so I assume your shell has the FWC forced air heat, which does not introduce any moisture into the Hawk...we have the 'arctic pack' and it does create dead space of insulation, but condensation between it and the Hypalon sides can be an issue if you don't vent the camper.

FWC makes a quality product and our '16 Hawk has not disappoint in anyway..Enjoy!

Phil

I agree. I get cold occasionally, because I don’t want to risk cranking the heat and getting too hot. I just spent two nights mid-teens with no mods and did fine. I’m just looking to insulate more so that I don’t have to overheat to compensate. 

I do wish the thermostat had a tighter range. I’m hoping the insulation will mitigate a bit of the feast or famine feeling of the heater.

Edited by eyemgh, 11 November 2020 - 06:01 AM.

#23 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:20 AM

I recently helped my wife store her Pleasure Way Class B MH in Tacoma WA where the humidy is quite high.  I bought this to absorb the moisture:

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B005FGNQ3W

I also found this:

https://www.amazon.c...7BB5T4767EQWCMX

and this which may be just what we need to handle the moisture while we are camping:

https://www.amazon.c...SEFMHRXF519MMB6

#24 Slowride

Slowride

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:06 PM

Phil

Yes, I'm getting the furnace in my shell, that's about it. Just need basic shelter.

This is good info, thanks for sharing. Some of the temp settings I'm reading about seem kind of low, but if the perceived feeling is that it's to hot that's a good thing. I did opt for an extra vent and both will have the motorized fan if needed so I hope that is enough to vent moisture.

I've spent plenty of cold nights with my topper, waking up through the night with ice in my beard and getting a mediocre nights rest. It's been doable, but the next day by late morning I know my energy is down and I'm just not enjoying my outing as much as i could be.

#25 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:34 PM

When we built our camper, we skipped the mattress, i purchased two thermarest mondo king xl pads. R value is supposedly near the top for these type of pads. 

Wife is small, i am not. No one mattress works for us. 

i also put an old closed cell pad under them to help with the really cold nights. 

Air out well after each trip, so far so good. Down to -10 or so. 

We also use and arctic pack on the sides.

Air flow to fight condensation.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:19 PM

eyemgh, please forgive me for adding something here as Julie and I do not own a FWC but perhaps a couple tips from our experience will help. For staying warm in the cabover, we use an RV Superbag to sleep in. It is a large double sleeping bag with removable sheets. Julie has made two or three sets of fleece/flannel sheets that are warm, comfortable, and easy to wash. When going below 32 degrees, we fold a small quilt over the toe of the bag and then a qualofill comforter over the top of us. The best spot for a thermorest is on edge right against the lift panel. That's where our toes are.

We have a layer of reflexit under the mattress for help with condensation. Our four inch pad bed has been warm and comfortable.  

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

eyemgh, please forgive me for adding something here as Julie and I do not own a FWC but perhaps a couple tips from our experience will help. For staying warm in the cabover, we use an RV Superbag to sleep in. It is a large double sleeping bag with removable sheets. Julie has made two or three sets of fleece/flannel sheets that are warm, comfortable, and easy to wash. When going below 32 degrees, we fold a small quilt over the toe of the bag and then a qualofill comforter over the top of us. The best spot for a thermorest is on edge right against the lift panel. That's where our toes are.

We have a layer of reflexit under the mattress for help with condensation. Our four inch pad bed has been warm and comfortable.  

Forgive you? I greatly appreciate your advice, regardless of where I post! Thanks! (and Happy Belated Birthday!  :) )

#28 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:36 AM

Used hypervent for a season: helped with condensation and creating an air gap, but not that comfy under the stock pad. Reflectex does not do much without an air gap.  Had a thin memory foam pad, pretty cold and hard  in the winter. Added in the mid thickness froli system under the stock pads, got rid of the hard and cold and stinky latex foam, added a new down comforter from Costco. Add flannel sheets in the winter. We run the heat up before going to bed and shut it down because it is too noisy. If it gets really cold you can always crank it up. If I was trying to exist in the northern reaches of the country, I would add in a diesel heater and run it all night, which would also eliminate the condensation issues if plumbed correctly. For my needs in the Sierra, we are good.

we sleep east west in our FD Hawk, which exposes both feet and head to the cold sides, but it is easier to get in and out of the bed versus north south like ski3pins do. Have not had an issue down into the teens.

Edited by Mthomas, 16 November 2020 - 06:42 AM.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#29 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:12 PM

Not sure I understand how the diesel heater would eliminate condensation? Both the Atwood (or my Propex) and diesel heaters are vented outside?

#30 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:24 PM

Should be no different than a vented propane heater. 

Keep in mind we're all different. I don't have the condensation issues that others complain about. Why I can't say. You'd think the dog would add a significant amount but I never have to wipe down. Perhaps its the ventilation and leaving the heat set at 50 degrees. 

I use a heavy (who cares about weight, we aren't backpacking) sleeping for winter use. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users