• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#71 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:58 AM

Inspired by this thread, I created 3 polyisocyanurate foam panels for the front window, vent and door. On a recent 4 day trip with temperatures in the 30s I'm quite sure they reduced the heater on time.  With this damn pandemic, our trips are short and relatively local - to areas where far distancing is a given and the only stop with other people is for gas. Once we can get vaccinated, we'll try the panels out in colder temperatures further afield.

My attempts in the past to insulate the windows have failed miserably - the velcro attaches to itself with a much stronger bond than the adhesive side does to the window frame.

Two of the panels wedge in without velcro. The door panel is sandwiched between the door and the screen. The front window panel wedges on the top and the bottom and against the front dinette cushions. The vent has a 3" velcro strip attached to the vent frame and 1.5" strip attached to the foam. This has worked - so far.

The inside of the front window panel actually gets warm and reflects the heat back onto us in the seats.

On the front dinette, we insulate the side windows by stuffing towels on the top of the back cushions.

We cover the back vent and open the front vent at night. The door and front windows come off when driving so we can see thru with the rear view mirror.

The foam is 1/2", doubled up on the front window to fit the window. 1" of foam strips create a box to cover the vent.

Poly Door 1.jpg Poly Door.jpg

Poly Window 1.jpg Poly Window 2.jpg

Poly Vent 2.jpg Poly Vent.jpg

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#72 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:09 AM

Jack,

Parallel minds.  I just cut out 1" foil backed poly [R5] sheets for my side dinette Hawk....so far only the side window and the front window...cut them to size and used curtains to hold them against window frame; nice firm fit...may do back window and door...the front one comes out when traveling so I can use my rear view mirror to see out the back door...panels store nicely against side window with table pinning them during travel and up on the bed or in the truck when stopped and not against windows..

None on vents, I use them at night...

https://www.lowes.co...rier/1003011388

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 15 January 2021 - 01:09 AM.

#73 Davehwa

Davehwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:34 PM

This forum is a great resource.

My wife Syd and I purchased a brand new hawk front dinette this past fall. Hot water, heat, outdoor shower, big fridge, solar panel, twin roof fans, twin 6 V batteries, king size bed.

I work at Stevens Pass, WA and we live about 15mi east of the pass. We live in a little cabin, gravel driveway, no garage. Didn’t really think through the details of having a camper in snow country. But it’s working out great and here’s some notes:

The biggest oversight on my part was to not study the interior dimensions more closely. It turns out that the countertop height for the stove and sink is quite a bit higher than a normal kitchen. This means that I do the majority of the cooking. I guess it works out OK, since Syd makes the meals at home. She doesn’t seem to mind having me at the stove at all…

We keep the camper on the truck and don’t bother taking it off. This, I think, is the best advantage of a pop top camper. We use it all the time. I’ll pop it up when I do a Nordic ski before work, we eat in it when ordering takeout from the local restaurants, any sort of day trip and we are using the camper. It’s awesome.

It’s also easier to keep it on because we’d have to move it for snow removal anyway.

Our 2000 F150 7700 carries it just fine. I’m glad I bought E-range Duratracs this last time around. 5.4 Triton with 285,000 miles and it’s still getting advertised mileage on the highway, which admittedly isn’t that great but whatever. US vehicles have come a long way since the 70’s. Maybe it’s lasting so long because my wife is too short to floor it :-P

When it’s at home I crank a fan forced electric heater at 1350 watts inside it, through the shore power. Maybe after an overnighter we’ll pop it up to really dry it out, but overall it’s not a big deal.

The truck is my daily driver in the winter, and plugging it in and turning the heat on is just part of using the truck now. Not a big deal. My 30-mile round trip commute uses a little more gas than before but it’s ok. I keep the overdrive off more often now and I’m driving uphill with 3/4 ton of cargo on a 2-lane winter road so there’s no reason to pin it anyway. Wife is on to something...

I winterized the water. Bought two “Shower shutoff valves” that are made to go right behind the shower head in a house. These are the right threads for the hoses at the outdoor shower connection. To do the drain hose I just cut it and plugged it. I’ll finish that later... If we’re camping I’ll keep space in the main tank to drain the hot water back into it, then refill the hot water for the morning. Spent the night in Mazama on a Nerdic trip, it was in the teens and the cold water stayed in the 40’s.

We use the seat cushions for something else and put the bed extensions (4 since it’s a N-S king setup) down as a bench in the dinette area. Less faffing. Those become a curved backrest when we use the table, then we sit on Z-rest pads. Overall the camper is made for a tall guy and removing the seat cushions makes the dinette more comfortable, especially for the wife who, as mentioned, can’t floor the truck.

We keep two 0F bags and a sheet in the thing, and a couple pillows. Haven’t had a problem staying warm yet, and we’ve used it a bunch. Since Syd has paid her dues with me in tents, or on the ground, already, this thing is nothing but luxurious.

I am so glad we got a fully set up camper instead of a shell. Having spent decades working in the mountains, sleeping in tents, melting water, heating water, serving water, cooking for clients bent over a stove, the level of comfort, convenience, and sheer pleasure, of being able to stand up straight in a warm box, cooking a meal in a real kitchen, soft music playing, wife and I warm and cozy, at a winter trailhead, well, it’s beyond description.

The hot water system also reduces propane stove cooking time, thereby significantly reducing condensation. And, it’s a great way to warm my feet up after a cold ski outing :-)

Clearing the snow off the top is important. I was originally going to put crossbars and some sort of box or ski rack system on top, but I am glad we haven’t. It makes it easy to push snow off of the top with a SnowJoe. For the winter I took off the 270° awning, and the mounting brackets are a great place to hang a 16 foot extension ladder. If we’re going someplace where snow is forecast, this is the easiest way to climb up and push snow off the top before lowering the roof. Since the camper is warm all the time it’s not frozen to the roof, but it just needs to be pushed off because it is heavy.

We put our skis inside the camper and just take them out when we get where we are going. Some sort of soft bag will make this easier. Climbing gear and chairs go in the extended cab. Bicycles go on a rack on the back, and with today’s 800 mm wide handlebars, I needed to add a 12 inch extension to the hitch. With this, we can open the door enough to get in and out without a problem.

Right now Syd is up skiing at the area. It’s 20F and snowing. When she gets done we will go downvalley and get our Nordic on. We’ll take the truck and camper, and I will make a world-class Doppio at the trailhead. We’ll ski, then take a break, have hot drinks, lounge and watch videos on the phone, then head out again.

Seems like a lot of outdoor recreationalists in Washington start the adventure by getting up at midnight to get on the road to drive five hours to some trail head somewhere. I prefer to drive the evening before, camp, and have a much more civilized start to the days’ objective. The camper makes this much, much easier. And the truck means we can get to any trail head I want to visit, no problem.

Hope this is helpful.

#74 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:48 PM

Dave...that was the most cogent and understandable description of using a FWC in Winter that I have read.  Good job!

Timely for me, starting a month long ski touring journey this Friday across Wa,Id and Montana.

If you have photos of the ladder attachment, rear basket/rack and shower valve shut-offs that would be great.

I assume you have solar...I pretty much mirror what you are doing but I drained my water system for this trip since I will be parked in BFE without external power and even with 320w solar, no sun is no sun....added a Honda 2200i as insurance policy; hopefully I. will not need it.

Take Care...Phil

05/Tundra/ '16 Hawk

#75 Davehwa

Davehwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:18 PM

DE9AF939-3E40-461A-9144-4E256F947693.jpeg

It’s held on with two shoulder slings from the climbing rack, pipe insulation for padding, and some rubber tie downs.

#76 Davehwa

Davehwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:20 PM

6992D5E7-69A5-4B27-AE58-98E0E283B4D6.jpeg

Easy install. Valves are cheap plastic but they work. Low pressure water system helps.

#77 Davehwa

Davehwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

15465493-1F55-4178-8941-66922849F403.jpeg

SnowJoe. Telescoping handle, foam that doesn’t scratch. Very useful. About 30 bucks through Amazon.

#78 Davehwa

Davehwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:27 PM

ED266427-8B06-4E78-A484-B14D609A00FF.jpeg

Bike rack is not on truck but here’s a photo. The rack will last longer than me. 12” extension from Harbor Freight.

Having the bikes on the back is not ideal, because they get coated with dust before reaching the trail head. If you’re as digital about your gear as I am, this is unacceptable. I’m considering a hitch mount underneath the front bumper, and trading bugs for dust. Anybody have experience with this?

#79 Davehwa

Davehwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

Sounds like a fun trip!

Condensation on the soft walls is the main drawback of the pop up camper, it seems. My basic strategy is to not care too much while using it, and pop it up, crank a heater inside it, and dry it out for a day or two after using it. So far so good :-)

Enjoy the skiing! Dust on crust here, best wishes for some good pow.

#80 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:40 PM

Dave,

Thanks for photos...my '16 Hawk has what I assume is PEKs plumbing and not steel wrapped as shown...will address outside shower points on return...tried to blow out lines but know that some water will remain...fingers crossed...

'Dust on crust' might be as good as it gets...haven't been to a resort in years...skin up / ski down out here in Wallowa Mts.  So will not get assed up at current silly restrictions, crowds or marginal or thin snow conditions...still carry my skins!

Start at White Pass...to 49 Degrees..Silver Mt...Lookout...Whitefish...then we will see where the snow is...no set time limitation, until run out of snow, go lame [physically... B) ] or just plain wear out...Have Indy Pass but Super Senior rates also encourage resort hopping!

QUESTION:  Is there a fuse to isolate the water pump and the hot water heater?  Scary to think they might come on with no water!  I taped down toggle switches but that is literally a band-aid fix.

Road Trip !!!!   :D

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users