Photo
- - - - -

Electric Jacks ? anyone have positive/negative experience?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:46 AM

and if positive, any recommendation on brand, would be appreciated.

thx

greg

Oregon

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:44 AM

I’ve had Attwood and HappiJacks on hardside campers, the only one to give me any trouble was the HappiJack.  The electric motor on one jack would lock up after a prolonged period of not being used.   When I called the factory, they immediately gave me a work around, so it was probably a well known issue.   I do like the mechanical part of the HJ, it seems much better (gear ratio/smoothness) than the Rieco mechanicals on my pop up camper.

I guess I don’t trust either of the two electrics I’ve had, but they sure beat cranking a really heavy camper.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:52 AM

I had manual jacks on my old camper which was fine as it stayed on the truck almost full time.  I did have the adaptor to use with an electric drill for the rare times it came off.

With the electrics on my new camper I'll usually drop the camper at a campground if I'm going to be touring the area for more than 3 or so days and they make the loading/unloading process so much easier.  Happi Jacs and I service them with white lithium grease every couple of years and no problems so far. 

-Vic  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#4 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 November 2020 - 01:34 AM

Thx for the intel guys.  i will be gettting a ATC in the early spring. i live in urban PDX, and dont want to drive around the city with the camper, so i would like a convenient way to get it off the truck - by myself.

i am getting a shell, and will outfit interior myself - so figure i can 'splurge' on some things that make the whole process easier, and quicker.

thx again

greg

Oregon

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:22 AM

Greg, the mechanical jacks will do the job.

I am haunted by waters

#6 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:34 AM

If you go electric, search out which of the companies have good customer service...More and more these days thats the deal breaker for me...

#7 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:48 AM

Greg, the mechanical jacks will do the job.

ok.  i currently dont have the atc.  but i figured running around with my drill motor would be time consuming.  but apparently you dont think it adds a lot of time ?

Oregon

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:49 AM

ok.  i currently dont have the atc.  but i figured running around with my drill motor would be time consuming.  but apparently you dont think it adds a lot of time ?

The biggest time consumption was bolting/unbolting the jack to the mount.  Running them up or down is pretty quick.

I am haunted by waters

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:10 PM

Our current camper came with Rieco electric jacks. The remote is a semi-PITA, but they mostly work well enough. I don't know that I'd have spent the coin to get them, but they do make R&Ring the camper much faster. The biggest reason that I don't know that I'd have opted for them is our camper is supposed to be on the truck full time.

Electric jacks do add a complication to taking them off when on the truck. Ours have no connector, they are hard wired. If there were a weathertight Anderson power pole bulkhead I'd change that, but I've yet to find one.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:22 PM

Have you looked on the Powerwerx site for weather covers?  

https://powerwerx.co...=0&pageNumber=1

Scan down the page for the Anderson connector you need to protect. 

There should not be a need for water proof connectors. The pickup bed location should be shielded from most water & spray by the camper itself. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users