• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:50 AM

The Zamp controller is a PWM controller, which is not as efficient as an MPPT controller which is somewhat more important in the the less than ideal sun Pacific NW. The Zamp is also only 12 V nominal input, so multiple solar panels must be connected in parallel. When connecting panels in parallel, you want the Vmp (typically 16 V to 19 V) voltage spec of the panels to be similar. The more the difference, the less the efficiency. Call Zamp to find out the Vmp of there 160 W panels. I did a few moths ago but I replaced my Za,p 160 W instead and I don't remember the Vmp.

The Hawk probably has 12 AWG wire, which can handle 320 W (20 A at 16 V).

If you decide to upgrade your charge controller, I strongly recommend the Victron 30/100 MPPT . It is a clear cut above Renogy, Zamp and the others. With bluetooth, the MPPT can be out of sight and you can still monitor its operation. If you get the $30 battery voltage and temperature monitor, distance from the battery is not important and 10 AWG will will be fine.

I do have 5 year old 160 W panel here in Portland to unload if you can figure out how to mount it at 26" wide. PM me if interested.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#22 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:43 PM

Jack,

Information dense post and appreciated!  Obviously I need to educate myself on the abbreviations and more importantly an understanding of how all the component pieces integrate.  

What did you replace your Zamp 160w panel with?  Had a thought; why not remove my existing 160w and just go to single larger panel in lieu of adding a second panel.

Will look at Victron 30/100 MPPT you recommended.  What new or changed wiring is required when replacing my Zamp 30 controller with Victron?

Email in to Zamp yesterday and will call them Monday.

Again many thanks to all for the information and patience in explanations.

Phil

#23 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:19 PM

Phil,

I know he used 1/8th aluminum angle bar from a box store to mount the panel to the tracks. He called Zamp asking if the lower height would be a problem with heat. They told him not to worry. There is plenty of ventilation.

Dan I will ask him to send a photo...

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#24 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

Dan,

Thanks if you want my email address for the photos send my a PM.

Phil

#25 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:40 PM

I had the FWC roof rack and the Zamp on z bars screwed into the roof. A lot of work to take off, but I laid down 3 100 W HQST flexible panels with velcro. The velcro is on the sides and front, leaving an air gap and flow path. I've got a simple USB temperature logger that I will slide under a panel to track temperatures to see if my system provides adequate cooling. If we were regulars in Baja, I would have somehow raised the panels up a good half inch or more, but we tend to head North - for three years running, we encountered snow storms in August (note my avatar). Going from about 45 lb to about 18 lb, my wife can now raise the roof.

A single large panel will weigh significantly less than two panels. At 300 W or so, you can consider home solar panels. When I was researching panels, I came across a 320 W for $150 on Craigslist - they had ordered one panel too many. That panel would have fit, but 45 lb was more weight than I wanted and it would have meant more holes in the roof. Vic Harder has such a panel on his rig. If you know someone who is installing a home system, they might be able to order an extra panel for you. In bulk, panels are cheaper.

The wiring should be straightforward. The Zamp controller will have two pairs of terminals, "Solar" and "Battery". Just transfer the wires to the Victron "PV" and "Battery", respectively. Make sure "+" goes to "+" and "-" goes to "-". If the wires are not already labeled (FWC began doing that a few years ago), its wise to label the wires before moving them.

Be sure to buy the Victron from one of their dealers - all warranty is handled through dealers. I got mine from PKYS (https://shop.pkys.com). They were fast, the price was good and they rate well.

I mounted my Victron MPPT behind the kitchen cabinet, out of sight, but with Bluetooth, I can see all parameters. You can even turn off charging with bluetooth when you are working on interior wiring.

A battery monitor is also a good idea. There are a lot of very good but expensive ones out there (I have one) but consider a low cost option that Will Prowse (youtube) has found. It's probably not as accurate as the $200 Victron battery monitor, but at $42 it answers the same question. When I had AGM batteries I would just glance at the meter to know if I was on the path to draw them down below about 50%. And over the 5 years I had the AGM battereis, I could see them being drawn down a bit more each year. They still have some life in them, but my LiFePO4 will most likely outlast me, so I switched. The Victron MPPT can handle all types of batteries, including ones I had never heard of.

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,441&sr=8-5

#26 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:10 PM

Jack...

Thanks not just for the details but all the time it took to compile and send this post...very thorough and appreciated.

I was looking at the Victron products today....slow learning curve but I am getting there...your suggestion for a dealer is golden, thanks.

In my bliss I never thought of all the do-dahs that make up the electrical system in my Hawk....the IOTA Q4, the Zamp controller [with a monitor] and the Separator....Soooooo, I am considering the Victron 300/100 controller, Vitron MPPT Monitor [if not too $$] and a Blue Sea 7611.  Heck, I even now know what "MPPT" means.

I am a self-confessed old curmudgeon that refuses to enter the "electronic communication age"...so Blue-Tooth with the Victron would be wasted on me....but I am open to change...slight change  B) ...maybe... :rolleyes:

All this an more solar panel output....

Thanks Again,

Phil

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:54 AM

Phil, sorry for not jumping in when you asked me to!  It seems Jack has said the important things in very plain language.  I do have a 300+ watt panel on the roof of my camper.  I have seen 500+ Watt panels are coming soon.  Same size, same price.  Good time to be getting into solar!

#28 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:57 AM

We old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes more time...

Setting up Bluetooth with the Victron is relatively simple and Victron's instructions are pretty clear. Once setup, you just tap on the Victron App on your phone and you are looking at the controller information. If you have trouble, post. One of us will get you through it.

MPPT stands for Maximum Power Point Tracking. "12 V" solar panels actually output a voltage that can run from about 13 V to about 24 V. For any given level of sun on the panel, there is a voltage sweet spot where you get the maximum watts (power) from the panel. Watts equals volts times current and an MPPT controller keeps varying (tracking) the voltage to get the maximum power. That sweet spot keeps changing as a cloud goes by, as the sun moves across the sky, etc.

Victron periodically sends out software updates to its equipment for includes bug fixes and sometimes additional features "OTA". That's Over the Air, which really means over the internet and is how your smart phone gets updated. It's free.

#29 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:30 AM

Vic,

"I have seen 500+ Watt panels are coming soon.  Same size, same price.  Good time to be getting into solar!"  Ah....when?  I can hold off on additional panel or replacing my 160W.....thanks!

Jack,

"We old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes more time..."  So true.... but worth the effort and time.   

Figured out the difference between PWM and MPPT.... not a cost vs benefit over time thing analysis, but perhaps the difference in staying in the boonies longer with sketchy sun and preventing AGMs from going below 50% ...so I am going for a Victron MPPT controller & monitor after talking to PKYS [sale now on also] tomorrow...ordered a 7611 today... 

Thanks all and I will get back in touch once I see a clear path...

Appreciate all the help!

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 23 November 2020 - 03:36 AM.

#30 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

Phil

Have not heard back from my friend but I think this photo is representative of how he mounted the panel.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-04-30+19.16.32.jpg

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users