ARB Rapid Deflator

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:22 PM

Anyone use one of these? I was just holding my gauge partially on to reduce pressure, but I bought the ARB, hoping it would be faster. Other than not having to hold it on, it doesn't seem to be any faster. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but there isn't much to do wrong. What's been your experience? Thanks!  

#2 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:46 PM

My experience is that it is much, much faster than simply depressing the valve.

#3 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:27 AM

My experience is that it is much, much faster than simply depressing the valve.

Maybe I didn't get the core fully out the first go 'round. I'll mess with is again. It indeed should be much faster!

How long would you estimate it takes to drop 15 psi?

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:35 AM

When you unscrew the valve core does the extractor retract and pull the core out of the stem?  Sometimes air pressure will do it but on mine the seal is tight so I have to do it manually.

There is a tutorial on this site:

https://www.googlead...ign=sag_organic

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:53 AM

When you unscrew the valve core does the extractor retract and pull the core out of the stem?  Sometimes air pressure will do it but on mine the seal is tight so I have to do it manually.

It pushed it out with pressure. It might have started that though when it was only partially removed. I'll mess with it again tomorrow. Thanks!

#6 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:15 AM

I have a similar design I got off of Amazon.  IF you do it right it drops air pressure FAST!  My first time I didn't get the core unscrewed far enough and it seemed like it took forever.  The thing I noticed using it, when you get the core unscrewed fully the stem in the tool will pop out when slide the collar up.  If you don't have the core completely unscrewed it can't let the air out any faster than pressing on the stem. 

Edited by Zoomad, 19 November 2020 - 03:16 AM.

#7 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:53 AM

I have a similar design I got off of Amazon.  IF you do it right it drops air pressure FAST!  My first time I didn't get the core unscrewed far enough and it seemed like it took forever.  The thing I noticed using it, when you get the core unscrewed fully the stem in the tool will pop out when slide the collar up.  If you don't have the core completely unscrewed it can't let the air out any faster than pressing on the stem. 

That's got to be what happened. With the core out, air *should* rush out. 

#8 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:33 AM

That's got to be what happened. With the core out, air *should* rush out. 

It certainly does.  Fast enough you really can't walk away while it's working.  Half a minute or less to drop from 40 to 15-18psi.  

I like it a lot more than "staun" style deflators that you can set to a specific pressure.  Stupid lock ring moves and either lets out too much or not enough and take a couple minutes per tire.  Even though you can do all tires at the same time with them, you still end up going from tire to tire to check on them.  Plus you can't get a pressure reading without taking them off.  

#9 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:42 AM

It certainly does.  Fast enough you really can't walk away while it's working.  Half a minute or less to drop from 40 to 15-18psi.  

I like it a lot more than "staun" style deflators that you can set to a specific pressure.  Stupid lock ring moves and either lets out too much or not enough and take a couple minutes per tire.  Even though you can do all tires at the same time with them, you still end up going from tire to tire to check on them.  Plus you can't get a pressure reading without taking them off.  

That's why I went that direction. Plus, I don't always want the same psi and some of the Stauns style ones aren't agile to switch. Thanks!

#10 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

Maybe I didn't get the core fully out the first go 'round. I'll mess with is again. It indeed should be much faster!

How long would you estimate it takes to drop 15 psi?

Less than a minute.  You definitely can't leave it for a beer -- tire would be flat when you returned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users