38 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:16 PM

OK those of you that carry full sized and not just a military type "E" tool what have you actually used and needed full size for? I love that my E tool is small and light. Loan it all the time for cat holes and fire tending. I have really NEVER desire a full size shovel. I guess they are used but just never saw or needed. I'm not trying to be negative towards them... just planning a long trip and wondering.

Fair question and happy to answer. We come upon others who are stuck and it has taken an awful lot of digging. Both for the back and long reach, full sized shovel. The other common use for us is cleaning up others improper disposal/burial of human waste, toilet paper, etc. Oh, how I love a long handle.

Example, these bighorn hunters we found in central Nevada

Wonder-Dec-2016-076-copy.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:33 PM

Wow, I never thought this would be such a thought provoking thread!

While I can see the benefits of a long handle shovel I really don’t have the space to do so. Ideally I’d like to keep the overall length (when stored) to be no more than 36” or so....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:40 PM

Wow, I never thought this would be such a thought provoking thread!

While I can see the benefits of a long handle shovel I really don’t have the space to do so. Ideally I’d like to keep the overall length (when stored) to be no more than 36” or so....

Eddie, if you do decide to go with a full size shovel, consider putting it on the roof racks.   I use a Yakima bike wheel tray to secure it, and in the spirit of honesty, I stole that idea from the Ski3Pins.  

After all. —>  Plagiarism is a sincere form of honesty.

I am haunted by waters

#14 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:12 PM

I am in the full size shovel camp. I used to have a D-handle 36" but since have gone to the full size. It is really nice to have the reach of a full size shovel to get under a vehicle.

While I’m firmly in the carrying a full size shovel camp, one of these came up on my local Craigslist a day or two ago:

https://hi-lift.com/...cts/handle-all/

Didn’t know such a thing/kit existed. Sure enough I found out it’s a legitimate Hi Lift product.

Several of my friends have these or homemade versions. I like them and they can really take a ton of abuse.

Eddie, if you do decide to go with a full size shovel, consider putting it on the roof racks.

This is what I do now. I have a "Friend" who backed into a deep snow covered ditch and not been able to get the camper door open without a TON of shoveling. Oh and the shovel was in the camper

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:16 PM

Ours is mounted right rear area so I can stand on the rear tire and unclip and retrieve the shovel - with the top down of course.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:33 PM

Sioux and I are in the two shovel camp. We keep a long handle shovel in the (where else) 'shovel box' built in to our flat bed. (We 

fortunately almost never need to use it.)

But I found this shovel dinking around Amazon and it has been brilliant for cat holes (slices through roots like crazy), tending the fire, etc. Overkill? Sure. But we all need the fun of not-too-expensive-toys in these crazy times. (Or at least I do!)

#17 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:27 PM

I use a 40" D handle. I store it right behind the front seats of my Tundra.

Attached Thumbnails

• shovel - 1 (1).jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#18 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

I never thought about carrying a shovel until thread. Noob genes exposed! Thanks, I'll be getting something :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:57 PM

Full size shovel. Someone could steal it sure, but its been on there for years and no ones touched it. 

KIMG0082%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:08 PM

Full size shovel. Someone could steal it sure, but its been on there for years and no ones touched it.

The other side of this - I cannot count the number of times we have returned to our truck at a trailhead, etc., and found a note saying, "We used your shovel, we put it back, thanks so much for having a shovel!" And several times the note included, "And thank god you had one to use!"

note_on_truck.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users