• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mtnbiker99

mtnbiker99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:09 PM

i'm fairly new to the truck camper and been doing a lot of reading on payload and such. From what i gather, it would appear some are just below the payload capacity . Any 1/2 ton owners with slide in (FWC, alasken, scout, etc) running way over their capacity?  

my setup:

2019 f150 platinum trim, diesel - payload as per sticker - 1300lbs

future camper + gear + bikes + passengers = 2500lbs (max)

GVWR - 7100lbs

i figure upgrading HD leaf springs, timbrem bumpstops, and E rated tires my help. Anything else?

aside from upgrading to 3/4 (currently exploring  those options), am i still fighting a losing battle here if i keep my f150 and spend $5K (estimate) on upgrades?

thanks everyone!

Edited by mtnbiker99, 24 November 2020 - 05:11 PM.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:06 PM

mtnbiker99 welcome to the cult.

Your questions have been asked many times on the site.

There are it seems two camps. A lot of members have

1/2 ton trucks with FWC/ATC campers on them and minor

truck mods.Air bags,better springs,E rated tires.

Then there's the group that is the 3/4 ton side.Same mods mostly.

IMO it all comes down to your personal choice.

I personally have a 2002 Tundra TRD with a ATC Bobcat and rear air bags.

This combo fits my needs and I haven't had any issues.

You do have to keep in mind that what ever size truck you still have a load

on the truck and for the most part your handling/breaking will be different.

Continue to post your questions,there is a lot of great info posted on the site.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 mtnbiker99

mtnbiker99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:16 PM

I'm beginning to learn the GVWR what matters the most. i'm going to get my truck weighed and see what the curb weight is. From there, i guess i can understand how much i can carry. 

and i forgot about the tailgate. It's got that chrome trim and step option. That's a 100lbs there!

#4 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:20 AM

What Frank said, yes. I got rid of my tailgate -- was not hard to connect a new back up camera.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:50 AM

Hi Mtn. Welcome to the family.

My experience. As you read under my signature we have a 1100 pound Eagle improved shell sitting on a 2013 Tacoma V6 4WD. Camper is bolted down full time. Truck stock is rated at 5,500 pounds. When setup to go to the desert for one week it weighs 6,200 pounds with full tank of gas and one occupant. My mate doesn't do the desert.

Empty it weighs 5,350 pounds with half tank of fuel and one 215 pound ( I dropped 20 pounds last year),  person (me).

I went to a local spring shop and put in a new set to support 1,800 pounds which gives me about 15% extra . And E rated tires.

As you know the Tacoma has a plastic bed so a local welding shop welded 4 tabs onto the frame and the camper is bolted dawn to it. Nuts are still tight after 7 years of use. 

Its only that heavy 2 trips per year. And the brakes have no trouble stopping truck and Suzuki as I don't have trailer brakes. In fact I'm still on my original front brakes. We have a trailer towing package so it has the big radiator. Will tow 6500 pounds so the 2300 pound Samurai is no issue. I do change the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles.

My opinion is if you drive it conservatively, springs can handle the wright, and you have a tow pkg with the 3.73 rear axel it should give you many good years of service because you won't have the camper on the truck all the time,

With a 4 liter V6 ruining on premium fuel and 5 speed automatic  it passes Semis on 2 lane roads like it has a V8 and even pulls a Suzuki Samurai see picture.

gallery_2684_908_208423.jpg

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:16 AM

Hello mtnbiker99

Ratings on vehicles are IMO not suggestions.
I know that I’m overly cautious.
We’re traveling with a rig that is 700# shy of 10,000# gvwr.
It would bother me if it were the other way around, that’s just me.
You should do what’s comfortable for you! Hope this helps.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 mtnbiker99

mtnbiker99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:37 AM

thanks for the replies everyone, this is great info. Since i'm new to all this, it hard for me to make the right decision.  

- the camper won't be on full time. (weekends only)

- my f150 is my daily driver

- i'll spend most of my time on forestry roads, crown camping. 

- no serious 4x4. 

do people upgrade the leaf springs AND also add airbags? for fine tuning and such? 

#8 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:03 AM

aside from upgrading to 3/4 (currently exploring  those options), am i still fighting a losing battle here if i keep my f150 and spend $5K (estimate) on upgrades?

thanks everyone!

With upgrades it will probably be fine if you drive slower and don't have to make any panic moves on the highway to avoid traffic.   I started with an F150 and Hawk however since I had my loved ones in the rig I upgraded to an F250 for more payload, bigger brakes, etc.   

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#9 mtnbiker99

mtnbiker99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:20 AM

With upgrades it will probably be fine if you drive slower and don't have to make any panic moves on the highway to avoid traffic.   I started with an F150 and Hawk however since I had my loved ones in the rig I upgraded to an F250 for more payload, bigger brakes, etc.   

when you say drive slower - do you mean 5 to 10km/hr than the posted speed limited?   when you had your F150 - what mods did you do? and how close were you to your GWVR?

#10 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:36 AM

I had a 2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew with 5.5' bed.  Upgrades were E rated tires, air bags, rear sway bar.  In addition to being over the GVWR my center of mass was more toward the rear with the short bed.  My gut told me that if an evasive maneuver was needed on the highway,,that the rig would not perform well.  My F250 has a 6.5' bed and good payload.  Basically a non issue so I have less to worry about. 

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users