23 replies to this topic

#21 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:01 PM

The weight of the camper on our Access cab Tacoma was 100% on the rear axle. At least it wasn’t over that, which it could if we hung stuff off the trailer hitch for example. Then it could take weight off the front axle.

Edited by rubberlegs, 26 November 2020 - 03:02 PM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#22 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:25 AM

I was a bit surprised on how quickly the weight added up with the camper features, water, gear, food, people, and pets.  I moved up from a Tundra to a 2500HD.  The Tundra was plenty capable, but the 2500HD was a better fit for what we carry.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#23 mtnbiker99

mtnbiker99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:38 PM

so i got my truck on a CAT scale. 

steer axle - 3400lbs

drive axle - 2280lbs

Gross Weight - 5680lbs. (remove the tailgate as well).

So if my truck is 7100 GVWR and my truck is currently at 5680lbs. I'm definitely going to be over the GVWR (carrying a full load). However, i won't be over the drive axle (assuming it's the same as GAWR)

People say GVWR is the important number, but other state GAWR?? So confused on what to do.  (got me some serious first world problems  :rolleyes: )

#24 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:35 AM

Good that you weighed it, so you know the story ahead of time. I had the same concerns before getting our camper. After all the calculations, and removing some components, on long trips we are still up to 600 lb overweight. It's too late to do anything about it, so I'm at the rationalizing stage:

• Engine is designed to tow, should be ok.
  • Brakes also designed for towing, should be ok. 
  • The P-rated tires still had some margin of safety even with 1.1 derating factor, but due to very rough roads we drive, we got macho E-rated tires. So OK. Using much higher pressures and noise/ride quality/mpg are surprisingly unchanged from the OEM tires.
  • Rear suspension slightly beefed up with Sumosprings. Springs should be ok, but other components like axle and bearings... well we are 10% over GAWR.

Frankly, I drive slowly since I'm retired and in no rush, and am gentle on rough terrain. I leave plenty of room in front on the highway (easy when driving slowly). So by being gentle.... cross fingers.... the axle components are gonna be ok. I think these trucks are pretty stout and built for some bit of abuse. As a former aerospace engineer I shouldn't be overloading though -- it goes against everything in my career!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users