• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:27 AM

It does make me wonder how long ago it was installed.  I liked the last paragraph.  

"The beauty of the silver tower was its solitude. In order to be sublime, it had to be alone. And as soon as humans “found” it, it lost its magic. Isn’t this the way of all arches, waterfalls, and slot canyons? So perfect in their anonymity, so wrecked by a race that can’t stand to leave beauty alone. The desolate canyon will be just as gorgeous without the obelisk, and now those who want to leave the beaten track can enjoy it, and thousands just like it, without battling the blitz of the #explorers. The quick flash of metal will be outlasted by the timeless erosion of the earth, the trickle of red sand finding its way to the river, to the sea."

#62 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:32 AM

In looking back in the historical photos on Google Earth, it first appears in an Oct 2016 photo.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#63 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:37 AM

So, at least 4 years.  Testimony to it's solitude.  Or, if seen earlier on, about someone's ability to keep quiet.

#64 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:44 AM

It does make me wonder how long ago it was installed.  I liked the last paragraph.  

"The beauty of the silver tower was its solitude. In order to be sublime, it had to be alone. And as soon as humans “found” it, it lost its magic. Isn’t this the way of all arches, waterfalls, and slot canyons? So perfect in their anonymity, so wrecked by a race that can’t stand to leave beauty alone. The desolate canyon will be just as gorgeous without the obelisk, and now those who want to leave the beaten track can enjoy it, and thousands just like it, without battling the blitz of the #explorers. The quick flash of metal will be outlasted by the timeless erosion of the earth, the trickle of red sand finding its way to the river, to the sea."

This is why I don't geolocate photos for some locations and my description of where we went is pretty darn fuzzy. My consolation is, being an earth scientist trained to think of deep time, is that essentially all traces of humans will be completely gone from the earth's surface in about 100,000 years, and even the mineral and oil deposits will replenish for the most part within a hundred million years. Considering the earth has about 3 to 4 billion years to go before the sun balloons out to slag everything, that is a lot of time to heal.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#65 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:44 AM

This is why I don't geolocate photos for some locations and my description of where we went is pretty darn fuzzy. My consolation is, being an earth scientist trained to think of deep time, is that essentially all traces of humans will be completely gone from the earth's surface in about 100,000 years, and even the mineral and oil deposits will replenish for the most part within a hundred million years. Considering the earth has about 3 to 4 billion years to go before the sun balloons out to slag everything, that is a lot of time to heal.

Wonderfully refreshing perspecive.... thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users