Where Do You Carry "Stuff"?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:54 AM

I have a 2018 Raven shell on a Silverado Crew Cab. I have a front receiver mount for an extra spare when I need it and a Wilco Hitchswing for bikes when we carry them. I mounted an AT gas can carrier on the jack mount. I'm trying to avoid the roof just due to weight pushing it up and height, but I'm running out of space to carry shovel, axe, tracks, jack, etc. What do you all do? Thanks!

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:22 PM

Don't know if it's an option for you, but I pulled the rear seats out of my double cab and built cabinets to store all of my recovery gear, clothes, dry goods, backpacks, camp chairs etc. My ATC shell has some cabinet space for cooking supplies and bedding. Nothing sits on the floor of the camper. If something can't be stowed anywhere it stays home!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:55 PM

Like Ronin, I removed the rear seats from my truck and built storage there.  Lots of room there with some creative packing.

Air compressor is permanently mounted under the hood.  My FWC has the roll-over couch and there is a lot of storage under that.  Chairs, fly-rods and other long or big things go behind the couch.  Cooking equipment is in the under-counter cabinets.  

I also don't like anything on the floor of the camper.  I have a friend with a FWC and he puts a lot of stuff on the floor.  Then he has to pretty much unload everything before popping the top.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#4 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:58 PM

I store a lot of stuff in duffle bags in the back seat. If I head into the city or anywhere with prying eyes I will move it to the camper floor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#5 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:04 PM

Like Ronin, I removed the rear seats from my truck and built storage there.  Lots of room there with some creative packing.

Air compressor is permanently mounted under the hood.  My FWC has the roll-over couch and there is a lot of storage under that.  Chairs, fly-rods and other long or big things go behind the couch.  Cooking equipment is in the under-counter cabinets.  

I also don't like anything on the floor of the camper.  I have a friend with a FWC and he puts a lot of stuff on the floor.  Then he has to pretty much unload everything before popping the top.

Don't know if it's an option for you, but I pulled the rear seats out of my double cab and built cabinets to store all of my recovery gear, clothes, dry goods, backpacks, camp chairs etc. My ATC shell has some cabinet space for cooking supplies and bedding. Nothing sits on the floor of the camper. If something can't be stowed anywhere it stays home!!

We've just been tucking stuff in there with the seats folded up. We have an ActionPacker that we strap in behind the "60" seat that has a floor jack, compressor, recovery strap, tools, etc. We use the rear seats occasionally though so I don't want to pull them. I'm really looking for places to permanently store big, dirty things like shovel and axe, where they wouldn't get stolen. If I spent some time learning to use a high-lift, I'd keep that outside too. The floor jack is really nice for safety and effectivity, but 50 lbs and unwieldy. 

#6 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:26 AM

I built an aluminum case the width of the bumpers in the front of the camper to fit between camper and front of bed.  In that locking case fits shower curtain, shovel, axe, biotite stove/ BBQ, extra gasoline, LP wand for camp hooking up stove and lantern outside, awning crank,  leveling blocks, bug net for awning and a variety of emergency repair items that I do not use often on the bottom.  Unless you shorten front camper bumpers this space is useless so provides a nice unused space to store all of these items.  Do not need to attach to truck bed because there is not enough room with camper overhang for anyone to lift the box and steal it.  I have surrounded it with weatherstripping so that it does not wear on truck or camper when traveling,  It does add a little to complication for loading and unloading camper from truck but well worth it for accessory items.

#7 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:41 AM

I built an aluminum case the width of the bumpers in the front of the camper to fit between camper and front of bed.  In that locking case fits shower curtain, shovel, axe, biotite stove/ BBQ, extra gasoline, LP wand for camp hooking up stove and lantern outside, awning crank,  leveling blocks, bug net for awning and a variety of emergency repair items that I do not use often on the bottom.  Unless you shorten front camper bumpers this space is useless so provides a nice unused space to store all of these items.  Do not need to attach to truck bed because there is not enough room with camper overhang for anyone to lift the box and steal it.  I have surrounded it with weatherstripping so that it does not wear on truck or camper when traveling,  It does add a little to complication for loading and unloading camper from truck but well worth it for accessory items.

I can't quite wrap my head around that. Any chance that you could post a pic or two? Thanks!

#8 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:20 PM

Air compressor and tank under truck alongside frame rail.  Shovel under the truck with FistClamps.  I'm going to revisit moving some recovery gear and maybe the one pound propane bottles to the space accessed via the turnbuckle doors.   I have traction boards in the garage and since they are pretty light I will look at putting them on the roof with some tie downs or brackets.  The plan is to lash the winch/receiver mount to the floor of the cab behind the drivers seat with Ford Supercab rear seat folded up (need to create anchor points).  I made three wood boxes to fit under the rollover couch to allow me to lift up each along with organized contents.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#9 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 30 November 2020 - 07:52 PM

Eyemgh, I wish I could just take a picture as that would be easiest, but my camper is in winter storage now so can not.  It is basically a aluminum storage box that is about 4 feet wide, 3 feet high and a little over 2 inches deep on the bottom and a little deeper where above the truck bed in front (obviously not exact dimensions as I can not measure right now).  I have circled it with stick on weatherstripping just to protect the camper and truck bed as it just sits there and is not attached with anything.  It sits right on top of the camper front bumpers when the camper in on the truck and has a hinged top lid that locks.  Without the box this is totally waisted space.  It is just limited storage but good for strange shaped items like my shovel and things that are wet or dirty that will fit in the narrow space and just get in the way inside the camper or truck.  Like grandma’s attic I have somehow been able to fill it with “necessities” for 70,000 miles. 

#10 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:32 PM

Eyemgh, I wish I could just take a picture as that would be easiest, but my camper is in winter storage now so can not.  It is basically a aluminum storage box that is about 4 feet wide, 3 feet high and a little over 2 inches deep on the bottom and a little deeper where above the truck bed in front (obviously not exact dimensions as I can not measure right now).  I have circled it with stick on weatherstripping just to protect the camper and truck bed as it just sits there and is not attached with anything.  It sits right on top of the camper front bumpers when the camper in on the truck and has a hinged top lid that locks.  Without the box this is totally waisted space.  It is just limited storage but good for strange shaped items like my shovel and things that are wet or dirty that will fit in the narrow space and just get in the way inside the camper or truck.  Like grandma’s attic I have somehow been able to fill it with “necessities” for 70,000 miles. 

So between the front of the camper and the cab where the windows are? What keeps it in place other than gravity? 

Also, I'm not sure I'm following when you refer to to "right on top of the camper front bumpers when the camper in on the truck and has a hinged top lid that locks." Help. I'm confused!  :wacko: 

Edited by eyemgh, 01 December 2020 - 04:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users