National Park Dispersed Camping

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:39 AM

Is dispersed camping with a vehicle allowed in any of the USNPs besides Death Valley? I asked the Google, but I couldn't find any clear information. Thanks!

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:09 AM

Not that I can think of off the top of my head. I believe some of the Alaskan parks allow you to camp where you land your plane but that doesn't really help us. NPS tends to manage the "smaller" more highly visited areas and thus are a lot more stringent on what is allowed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:43 PM

Big Bend National Park, doesn't allow dispersed camping, but they have permitted back country vehicle sites, so all the pleasure of dispersed camping, but you need to get a permit, which is available by phone or online. some are solo sites, others have two sites together. Some are close to the paved highway, others are miles and miles down very rough roads. All are very nice.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#4 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:49 PM

I need to spend some time on Caltopo looking at land types adjacent to the parks. I love the National Parks, but I really don’t like campground camping.

#5 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:36 PM

Capitol Reef NP

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

Great Basin has some dispersed camping around the southern end, along NF-448. Last Sept the ranger advised we just find an empty designated spot and stop there. No permit needed.

Much of the Vermillion Cliffs on the SW side is open to 'dispersed' camping in previously used areas.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#7 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

Most (if not all) National Parks have adjacent National Forests that allow dispersed camping.  IMO even the NF campgrounds have a better camping experience than the NP campgrounds; cheaper too.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#8 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:29 AM

Capitol Reef NP

There is not any dispersed camping in Capitol Reef.  

There is lots of 'designated' but dispersed camping in Canyonlands - you need a permit, but I think this is the best of both worlds, you are guaranteed that a camp spot is available for you and is off on its own, and they are reliably great spots.   No competitive campground hunt as dusk approaches, no bogans with generators and ATVs pulling up after dark, and without the dozens of spurs and fire rings all over the place like in the nearby BLM. 

Great Sand Dunes NP has some dispersed camping on the Medano Pass road (technically in the preserve, not the park, but managed about the same).

Most of the SW National Monuments (GSENM, Bears Ears, Vermillion Cliffs, Gold Butte, Grand Canyon Parshant etc) also allow dispersed camping.  

Edited by rando, 30 November 2020 - 02:31 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#9 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument has dispersed camping but you need a permit and I believe you need to get it at the Visitor Center. I think the dispersed camping area is along the western border of the Monument.

Edited by dr.tucson, 02 December 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:43 AM

There is not any dispersed camping in Capitol Reef.  

There is lots of 'designated' but dispersed camping in Canyonlands - you need a permit, but I think this is the best of both worlds, you are guaranteed that a camp spot is available for you and is off on its own, and they are reliably great spots.   No competitive campground hunt as dusk approaches, no bogans with generators and ATVs pulling up after dark, and without the dozens of spurs and fire rings all over the place like in the nearby BLM. 

Great Sand Dunes NP has some dispersed camping on the Medano Pass road (technically in the preserve, not the park, but managed about the same).

Most of the SW National Monuments (GSENM, Bears Ears, Vermillion Cliffs, Gold Butte, Grand Canyon Parshant etc) also allow dispersed camping.  

rando, this is news to me.  Where does one go for more info on Canyonlands, Bears Ear, GSENM?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users