#1 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:19 PM

Sure doesn't  seem like it yet.

Nice and sunny here with night/morning lows 35*.

Enjoy the change of season.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:31 AM

It was sunny crisp day here. Felt more like mid fall than the beginning of winter. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:11 AM

Yesterday around Lake Tahoe on the trails cut some trees out  that blew down and it was nice upper 40 degrees.  There is not much snow on the trails..  Today another Blue Bird day did some birding in Reno and was in the 50's.  High pressure needs to break down so we can get some storms moving in.  Looks like back East winter arrived.

Edited by pvstoy, 02 December 2020 - 06:11 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:36 PM

We are under a persistent high pressure ridge that caps the deep valleys with an inversion layer.

So as we suffer through these agonizing days of clear weather, we woke up this morning to 45 degrees as an overnight low (the high will be 56). Our neighbors below woke to the 20's and 30's.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:00 PM

That's us when the inversion layer happens here, up at the lake is warmer than us.  Sometimes after a snow falls we don't get solar warming and then a inversion hits and we are under fog for days.  Only relief is to head up the hill to Tahoe to see the sun and feel the warmth.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:59 PM

We are under a persistent high pressure ridge that caps the deep valleys with an inversion layer.

So as we suffer through these agonizing days of clear weather, we woke up this morning to 45 degrees as an overnight low (the high will be 56). Our neighbors below woke to the 20's and 30's.

I didn't realize you got those on the west slope of the Sierra, but I guess there are some topographic similarities between the Valley being sandwiched between the Sierra and the Coast Range and the Salt Lake Basin being sandwiched between the Wasatch Range and the Basin and Range highs.  I've never seen anything like the inversions in the Salt Lake basin in midwinter.  As you note, you can descend from Park City/Parley's Summit (Pass) at +7,000' in the bright sunshine at 40-45 degrees F, and as you penetrate the tan to brown cloud headed west from Parley's, you're in so deep the sun is all but totally blocked out, the air is acrid, and it's 20-25 deg F colder.  That can persist for a week to two weeks at most any time in winter.

Foy

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:33 PM

Down in the Central Valley the annual migration of birds has begun.   I went down to catch the full moon and saw tundra swan, white faced ibis, cattle egret and great egret, white fronted geese, and numerous raptors including a white-tailed kite, kestrel, red tail hawk.

I'm trying to squeeze in a trip down to Cosumnes Nature Preserve to photograph the sandhill cranes which has arrived.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:23 AM

I know this will come as a surprise, but here in Portland OR we have had clouds, rain, no snow, and some rain, in between rain showers. Although today was sunny! Forecast is for... let me check.. oh, yeah, clouds and rain.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:08 PM

Very windy, cold Santa Anas, we live at the end of a natural wind tunnel. We’re on fire watch. Also, very big surf off our county coast. Big surf + offshore winds = crowded wavelines but happy surfers. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:27 AM

I saw "freezing fog" in the forecast for Bend, OR, one variation of temperature inversion...and my least favorite weather. Weather that's cold - and feels colder because of the dampness... But not sunny and cold... And not cold and snowing. Just pointlessly unpleasant.

One time, about 35 years ago, we had a bad, cold inversion in Bend right around Christmas. Christmas Eve the HIGH in Bend was 5°F BELOW zero. And yet, 25 miles away up at Mt Bachelor, at 6000 feet, they were skiing in sunshine at 32°F!

I'm 2000 miles from Bend right now...and not complaining. ;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users