• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:39 AM

the exhaust/intake tubes are maybe 1", i am trying to find a vent cover that i can attach the intake/exhaust tubes to.  for whatever reason, i cant seem to find.  the company i bought the heater from, sure marine, does not sell vents. or at least vents with some kind of  screening..  on the interweb i was checking out the suburban vents, but they all see to only have 1  tube to secure the vent exhaust/intake tubing to.  any recommendations on how to vent this propex would be appreciated.  atc buil is early march, so assembling parts at this time. thx greg

Oregon

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:39 AM

Is it the thru hull fitting you're looking for to vent the exhaust gas out and the port to connect the fresh air intake tubing? If that's what it is Van Cafe has the 22mm thru hull fitting. You'll want to have Marty install this for you during the build so you won't have to retro-fit it yourself. Hope this helps.

https://www.vancafe....0-p/2986120.htm

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:48 PM

Is it the thru hull fitting you're looking for to vent the exhaust gas out and the port to connect the fresh air intake tubing? If that's what it is Van Cafe has the 22mm thru hull fitting. You'll want to have Marty install this for you during the build so you won't have to retro-fit it yourself. Hope this helps.

https://www.vancafe....0-p/2986120.htm

thx ronin !  thats exactly what i was looking for.  bought heater from sure marine up in seattle, and they did not have this vent fitting, so i quit looking that way.  i am gathering a few things for ATC to install during the build. your recommendation and link is much appreciated.

Oregon

#4 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 27 December 2020 - 02:04 AM

thx ronin !  thats exactly what i was looking for.  bought heater from sure marine up in seattle, and they did not have this vent fitting, so i quit looking that way.  i am gathering a few things for ATC to install during the build. your recommendation and link is much appreciated.

hey ronin.  after i got your info, i immediately contacted van cafe and ordered the thru-hull vent.  unfortunately they reached out to me a week or two later, and said they didnt have it in inventory, and had no idea when they might get one.... and apologized.   anyway, i have been calling other  propex distributors, but also striking out. 

have any ideas on an alternate vent ??  i was looking at suburban, but for whatever reason they have multiple 2 vent models , but they all seem to have only 1 pipe extension into the cabin (which i assume is for exhaust).  i was hoping to find a vent with 2 pipes, which would make it easier to just attach the exhaust and fresh air tubes from propex to - but am getting cross-eyed from website searches.  

any ideas ??  :)  

Oregon

#5 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 03:02 PM

I just made a "vent" cover from some aluminum sheeting that attaches to the plywood. Used a bit of engine gasket sealer around the edge of the wood just in case the outlet got hot. Have had it installed for seven years with no issues. The inlet and outlet tubes on our Ocelot go out the plywood on the and are attached to the plywood in the space by the wheel well. Used a piece of angle aluminum to keep the outlet pipe off the wood there. 

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#6 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:55 PM

I just made a "vent" cover from some aluminum sheeting that attaches to the plywood. Used a bit of engine gasket sealer around the edge of the wood just in case the outlet got hot. Have had it installed for seven years with no issues. The inlet and outlet tubes on our Ocelot go out the plywood on the and are attached to the plywood in the space by the wheel well. Used a piece of angle aluminum to keep the outlet pipe off the wood there. 

so you exhaust the heater into the space either behind wheel well, or forward?   it does not get too hot in there??

Oregon

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:01 AM

My exhaust exits into the are behind the wheel well.  Intake is in front of the wheel well.  

#8 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:26 AM

My exhaust exits into the are behind the wheel well.  Intake is in front of the wheel well.  

thx Vic.  i had not think of this much separation, but that makes a lot of sense.  so, i assume the exhaust is not too hot for the enclosed space ?   i am not a winter camper type, so heater will probably only be used in the shoulder seasons.

Oregon

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:28 PM

hey ronin.  after i got your info, i immediately contacted van cafe and ordered the thru-hull vent.  unfortunately they reached out to me a week or two later, and said they didnt have it in inventory, and had no idea when they might get one.... and apologized.   anyway, i have been calling other  propex distributors, but also striking out. 

have any ideas on an alternate vent ??  i was looking at suburban, but for whatever reason they have multiple 2 vent models , but they all seem to have only 1 pipe extension into the cabin (which i assume is for exhaust).  i was hoping to find a vent with 2 pipes, which would make it easier to just attach the exhaust and fresh air tubes from propex to - but am getting cross-eyed from website searches.  

any ideas ??  :)  

A quick search and I see a couple of UK outfits that lists the vent. You could always use 2 single fittings available at marine supply co's and mount separately or fabricate a mounting plate to make your own dual port fitting. Good luck!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:35 PM

thx Vic.  i had not think of this much separation, but that makes a lot of sense.  so, i assume the exhaust is not too hot for the enclosed space ?   i am not a winter camper type, so heater will probably only be used in the shoulder seasons.

If you read the install guide, I think the call for 3' of separation.  Which is why I was surprised when I saw that cool single piece vent fitting you are looking for.  No, not to hot, and not all that "enclosed" either.  These Propex furnaces are amazingly efficient.  There is not a lot of air leaving that exhaust tube.  I made the hole in the plywood bigger than necessary to clear the tube, and made sure the supplied silicone sleeves were in that space so as to minimize how hot the tubes were that might be in contact with the wood.  Sealed the remaining gap with red high temp silicone designed for automotive use.  No issues so far in the two camper builds I did with Propex heaters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users