#1 Montreat

Montreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:58 AM

What are you using for baking? I would like the opportunity to bake a potato, pizza, muffins or bread. I have seen the Coleman oven, which isn’t available anyway. Anyone else have an idea?

Montreat 2015 Fleet 2015 Tacoma 4wd

#2 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:36 AM

Take a look at the omnia oven, we have one and are big fans!

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:50 AM

I have the Coleman oven and used it to cook bisquits and potatos. It worked but seemed wasteful of fuel and dificult to keep at temperature if there is any wind. It requires a pan that fits in the oven in which to put your food.

I bought the Swedish Omnia oven and while I have had only a short while and  cooked only brownies, it cooked well. There are a lot of recipes for it. Its design includes the pan in which you put the food.

The silicone ring and mufffin pan make cleanup a lot easier. As pizzas don't cook well in a shallow bundt pan, they have recipies for converting pizza to calzone.

You will need two pair of OvGloves to save your fingers and hands. Everything on it gets hot.

I really got it for my wife to cook her favorite chicken wing recipe. Will be trying that soon.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:25 AM

The Coleman Oven I believe is still made, it’s just not currently available on Amazon. They can likely be found at your local Sporting Goods or Hardware store. My Bimart had a couple on the shelf last time I looked. They aren’t a bad idea, like a lot of camping stuff It’ an art to get the most out of them. A lot of people put a baking stone in the bottom to regulate the heat. Nice that they fold down.

If you’re a watcher of Craigslist or the like, Pyramid made what I thought was a good one. Once in a great while one shows up.

Good luck with your search.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#5 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:44 AM

We use a Sun Oven    https://www.sunoven.com  since our idea of winter camping is usually Baja.  We cook brownies, cakes, chickens, all kinds of stuff.  It's bulky though, but we put it in our trailer with my ARB Freezer and my roll-up boat and motor.

#6 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:46 AM

I use the Outback Oven - it packs down really small. 

#7 Your Mileage May Vary

Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:07 AM

I have the Coleman oven and used it to cook bisquits and potatos. It worked but seemed wasteful of fuel and dificult to keep at temperature if there is any wind. It requires a pan that fits in the oven in which to put your food.

If you add a ceramic pizza stone to the Coleman camp oven it helps to regulate the heat and helps prevent hot spots that burn your bottoms (of muffins & bread). Also, the temp gauge on the front is not at all accurate.

I'm hoping to try the Omnia soon.

Robert VE9CDN » 2023 Ford Ranger FX4 with ATC Bobcat

Goal is to travel overland as slowly as possible, as far as possible, as long as possible.

AdventureTrend.com

#8 Montreat

Montreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:27 PM

Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions. Will look into all of these ideas

Montreat 2015 Fleet 2015 Tacoma 4wd

#9 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 12 December 2020 - 09:15 PM

I've used the Backpackers Pantry which is no longer made, works well but is small.

backpackers-pantry-outback-oven.jpg

And the Omnia oven with mixed results - 

omnia-backofen-M.jpg

And just purchased the Bemco oven from the guy who makes them https://www.backpack....com/oven-specs but haven't tried it yet.  

Bemco%20Backpacker%20Oven.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 12 December 2020 - 09:22 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:13 AM

Another  possibility is the Volcano Grill. https://volcanogrills.com/

We have one but have not taken camping, primarily because it is a heavy duty unit with emphasis on heavy. We use it at home with the propane adapter and a large wok for stir frying for which task it is magnificent.

The grill can make use of charcoal or firewood as fuel, also. It also accommodates a 12” dutch oven inside the unit for baking or roasting.

I’ll have to try using it with my dutch oven during this Covid downtime.  

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users