Photo
- - - - -

How much temperature increase Wave3 heater?

heater wave3

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gentle on my world

Gentle on my world

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTeddy's Place

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:15 PM

I've got ~100 sq ft of space within my camper shell.  With the temperatures at 40F and after 2.5 hours on the high setting of the Wave3, it raised the temp to 47F.  Does this seem like a reasonable gain in temperature for this unit?

I've attached a picture of it operating on the High setting.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3imgonline-com-ua-compressed-VdYPFipB0Ybs.jpg
  • 3imgonline-com-ua-compressed-VdYPFipB0Ybs.jpg

Edited by Return west, 08 December 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 December 2020 - 05:47 PM

I don't have direct experience with the Wave heaters, but what you are seeing seems to be a little low but generally consistent with other users:

https://expeditionpo...ve-data.219880/

The Wave 3 is only about 500 - 900W which is marginal to keep an uninsulated camper warm in anything but the mildest conditions.  You would do much better with any of the forced air heaters. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

I had a Wave 3 in a previous FWC. Maybe you know this but the Wave heats objects, not the air. If I was sitting near it I felt the heat right away but the heat wouldn't make it's way to rest of the camper, especially to the cabover bed. I never felt comfortable running it for more than an hour even though I vented it by opening the roof vent. I have a Propex heater in my current rig and I get gentle warm air throughout the camper. My last trip I woke up to 34* temp and it took around 20 mins for the temp to get up to 43* which is as warm as I care to get. If I sit right in front of the vent I barely feel the heat compared to the Wave3. Just my non scientific experience.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:44 PM

I’ve got a wave 3 in my van. It’s an inexpensive alternative to a forced air heater but requires many hours to heat up an amount of space. We pretty much have to leave it running all day to maintain warmth at night. (We don’t sleep with it on).

It also helps if your vent is down low instead of higher up (roof vent) in the camper.

#5 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:36 PM

I've done better with a 2 mantle coleman propane Lantern. They put out an incredible amount of heat.

Sometimes when you're cold you do anything.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:13 PM

Just don't touch the nut on the top until its COLD. That mark lasted a long time!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:21 PM

Just don't touch the nut on the top until its COLD. That mark lasted a long time!

I did that 40 years or so ago and will never forget it! I have a battery Coleman lantern and still think about that time ever time I pick it up!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:53 PM

We've used a Wave 3 in our Hawk for almost a decade.  We recently replaced it when the output seemed diminished.  The pad is sensitive to dust, so our new Wave has a "shower cap" we put on it when it's not in use, especially driving dusty roads.

That said, we have been satisfied with the quiet, steady heat and do sleep with the unit set on low with vents cracked up top and below.

Our rough rule of thumb is that the camper is 20F warmer inside than the outside temp.  If it's 30F outside, then inside will be 50F.

If we're sitting up, watching a movie, we'll put it on high, until bedtime.   Our dog loves the heat and has her bed on the floor off to the side.  I've mounted the Wave below the factory "blower" furnace, which was the only place I could find that had the required clearances.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:48 AM

I did that 40 years or so ago and will never forget it! I have a battery Coleman lantern and still think about that time ever time I pick it up!

And then when you go outside...don’t lick the frosty door handle.

#10 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 11 December 2020 - 01:46 AM

For me, after 13 years of using the Wave 3 as my sole source of heat, in conjunction with reflectix on the canvas only, I average about a 30 degree difference from outside. On my most recent trip, I saw lows of 12, and inside the camper was 47. If it was 20ish, camper was 50ish. This is on the high setting, with no reflectix on any of the windows. 

I’ll echo light hawk re: dust, the cover is important, and a small blast of compressed air from time to time. 

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heater, wave3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users