#1 Ghetto Johnny

Ghetto Johnny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDayton Ohio

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:36 PM

It's a long shot but her goes.

I've found a used Older Four Wheel Camper Hawk here locally in Ohio that has the camper and roof but no lifting hinges/push board. The price is so low ($1000) and it's probably why it hasn't sold yet.

The roof is secure with the latches and canvas material is just tucked into the camper. they have a prop up stick inside to lift it up when they want to get in it.

My question is, does anyone by change have any dimensions/drawings of the the hinge plates/setup? 

I know I've heard call Four Wheel up, apparently the Owners did and didn't like the price of the replacement parts, hence the sale price.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with some dimensions/pics and i could have my local machine shop make a replacement setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:37 PM

Do you mean the lift panels (two plywood panels, hinged top, bottom, and in the middle) that hold the roof up and in position?

I have complete engineering drawings of the rear panels for my '77 Grandby.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#3 Ghetto Johnny

Ghetto Johnny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDayton Ohio

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:50 PM

Do you mean the lift panels (two plywood panels, hinged top, bottom, and in the middle) that hold the roof up and in position?

I have complete engineering drawings of the rear panels for my '77 Grandby.

Yes.
Everything is gone. Nothing holding the Top/Canvas to the base. if you hand lift it , it can slide up and off.

Apparently all of the new ones are some form of polymer plastic but the wood ones.

The rest of the camper is in Primo shape, just no lifting mechanism.

Are the front the same as the rears?

Any help would great.

Edited by Ghetto Johnny, 08 December 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:15 PM

Might give all terrain campers ATC, a call as they could give you a price for complete parts shipped that you can install. Give them the year and model.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:23 PM

It is fairly easy and cheap to make them out of EMT conduit. When I replaced my canvas I added several inches of height and had to make new lift gates with new geometry. It took some trial and error but was very easy. I probably spent $100 ($50 pipe bender,$20 pipe, $30 on fasteners) on parts and had 3 hours of time into it. I messed up several times but the conduit is very cheap and easy to work with.

Here is one of the threads talking about it. Scroll to post #10 

https://www.wanderth...granby-rebuild/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:16 AM

If the camper and canvas are in primo shape, then paying the $500 or so for the panels from ATC/FWC plus shipping gets you into a camper for dirt cheap!  

#7 Ghetto Johnny

Ghetto Johnny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDayton Ohio

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:45 PM

If the camper and canvas are in primo shape, then paying the $500 or so for the panels from ATC/FWC plus shipping gets you into a camper for dirt cheap!  

Apparently the Owners were told by Four Wheel that in Total it would be close to $1500 for the Parts needed. I don't know what all they were told the needed. I'm just going by what the Sellers was telling me.

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:08 PM

When I redid my lift gates 5+ years ago I recall getting a quote for around $1200 for the lift panels and associated parts. I called FWC and ATC and IIRC they were in the same ball park with the price.

In the end I just made my lift panels out of EMT conduit ~$100 for everything. Call Four Wheel Campers or All Terrain Campers and talk to them. They are a great resource. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:54 AM

Apparently the Owners were told by Four Wheel that in Total it would be close to $1500 for the Parts needed. I don't know what all they were told the needed. I'm just going by what the Sellers was telling me.

Still a good overall price for a used camper!

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:49 PM

My 2¢... Call ATC and ask them what they would charge.  It might be a good idea to pop/prop the top and take photos to ensure they know what is needed.

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hinge, hawk, pop top, lift system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users