• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Zialen

Zialen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:35 PM

Hi friends, ready to change up my current setup from truck topper to camper.

I live in Canada and looking at the shell version of atc for my 2017 Tacoma with payload of 1100 pounds

Can you tell me about your experiences with atc and the quality.

why the shell is so much lighter than the four wheel camper

#2 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:57 PM

I can't speak to the shell version, but I have been very pleased with my ATC Cougar (on an F150).  Got it in 2015 with only a furnace and stovetop and built out the rest myself.  Marty and the crew were more than happy to help me by providing countertop material to match what was already in the camper so I could custom build the rest (I was living in Reno at the time, so an easy trip over the hill to get it when needed).  Quality of the build (their part) is fine, very solid and well put together, certainly as good as any other outfit I have seen.  One advantage is because they are a small shop, they are willing to work with you to make any modifications (within reason) that you might want/need.  I would go with them again in a heartbeat.

Edited by Atlin, 08 December 2020 - 11:58 PM.

#3 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:00 AM

Z. I live in Ontario ( Can) and drove out to Sacramento 3 yrs ago to have out ATC Ocelot shell installed on our Silverado. Honestly , you can't go wrong with the ATC. Excellent Guys to deal with and as far as I'm concerned the quality is there. 

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:25 AM

Zialen,welcome to the cult.

I have a 2009 ATC Bobcat full camper mounted on a 2002 Toyota Tundra.

We have traveled over 50K miles with it with two trips to Denali.

We have enjoyed working with Marty and their quality is great.

They are not a "fancy" camper nice and basic/simple.

Their shells start at about 9.900$.

There are a few options you can add.

Check out my travel blog for some trip pictures.

IMO they are worth checking out.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:31 AM

Hello Zialan
We also commissioned a Cougar from ATC. Ours has almost every option. There were some things we wanted a little different, no problem for Marty and Jeff.

After one year the drawer handle broke and one LED light failed they sent them n/c.

I later asked if I could get the winter liner and they made it for us, told me how to install, locks like it was done when originally made.

For us been very pleased with our purchase, when you call someone answers the phone l, and get this they can answer your questions. [emoji41]

If this seems like a plug for them it is, because thank you guys we love our Cougar just seems to fall short.

Russ and Syma Sherratt

Edited by CougarCouple, 09 December 2020 - 12:31 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:57 AM

What model are you looking at and what weight are they quoting? I can't fathom that they are grossly different than a FWC in weight for a similarly equipped rig. Their heritage is FWC after all.

My Raven shell with heater and thermopack spec'd out at 903 lbs.

As far as ATC per se is concerned, owners tend to rave about both the quality and the service. 

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:04 AM

I went with an ATC Panther shell for my Tundra because Marty was willing to build it out exacty how I wanted it. I ordered it with the 2 burner stove and side dinette, solar ready, additional usb plugs, fantastic fan, 2" higher side panels, AT can holder, and 3 gal Roto Pack. The build quality is no different than FWC (I've owner 2 Hawks in the past). I did talk to FWC about a Hawk shell but they don't have the capacity to do any custom work. My Panther weighs in at 988 lbs with the jacks, which I never travel with, so it's probably closer to 900 lbs.. Both FWC and ATC makes a quality product. The tie breaker for me was Marty's willingness to do custom work. One last comment, I later added a folding counter top and Marty made one to match the dinette table at no cost. Who does that!!??

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:01 AM

I have had both a FWC and an ATC.  Both are quality campers, but the personal commitment of Marty and Jeff, plus their willingness to do custom work is what swayed me.   If I buy another pop up, I’m going with another ATC.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:08 AM

ok,

my thoughts here. First of all i drive Jeff batty. Marty is always there soften the blow, but i am not the easiest client.

Now that, that is out of the way. i wanted my flatbed camper to be built at 7 foot wide, 9 foot long. The counters were built to my spec.

No dinnete, Everything, at my request, water tank size, propane tanks, Etc. i have the camper i wanted. I asked, the built it. Period.

i have dealt with them a few times since picking up my camper, always the same. Simple, to the point, and i get what i asked for. 

Will i call them when i build the next one, YES!. They will be my first call. Are there alternatives, of course, and any sane person will check with them, but Jeff and Marty will always be the first people i call.

If your in my neck of the woods, come by and check out "Ernie", grab a bev and let's talk campers.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:06 AM

Z, I'm in Calgary and have had both FWC and now ATC.  They are essentially identical, except that ATC has (until recently?) used the older window style with an external weather flap, and ... they customize.  

The SHELL from either company is lighter than a built out camper because everything weighs something!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users