• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:28 AM

We had planed to head out on the road for a couple of weeks.  Trip would take us to Southern Nevada Valley of Fire, places in Arizona, Phoenix , Patagonia Lakes, then into New Mexico Bitsi-Badlands and places between.

We had a discussion for 2 days on "go" - "no go" and decided the risk is too great.  The risk is the astronomical amount of people that now have the virus out there spreading it without even know that they are.  The wave is spiking and increasing everyday.  More hospitals are setting up makeshift rooms to handle the rush but lack the personnel to operate the expansion. California has ordered a lock down situation hoping to slow the numbers and prevent more deaths.

So if one had a unexpected medical need or was involved in a traffic accident while out in rural USA then that puts you at risk not getting the proper necessary care to treat your condition.  It also puts a demand on a already fragile medical system. 

It is not like back in October when the cases were low and traveling was not risky.  So we decided to stay more local until conditions improve or the vaccine is widely available to the public.

We have a trip planned for Yellowstone in winter but will make that decision when the time comes.

If you are traveling and camping please stay safe and be cautious, being respectful of the communities you travel through.

Cheers...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:40 AM

Seems like a wise decision. Traveling through uncontrolled pandemic areas seems like an unnecessary risk with a vaccine a few months away. Who wants to be one of the last victims of a well documented disease that will soon be preventable?

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:37 PM

Try having a job..  Talk about scary. 
Sitting at a desk w/ members of the public walking up all day long.  The risk of losing my job if I take off sick.  Other employees coming back to work, still very sick, because if they missed one more day they'd have to be replaced.  Have to have the seat filled, and if it's not the covid spreading employee, it will be someone else. 

If you're able to make decisions about being exposed, feel very grateful. 

#4 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:08 PM

I also have struggled with "to travel or not travel" decision. Making last minute plans is nearly impossible if reservations are required, as in Big Bend National Park for all camping, even backcountry. So I decided to plan a trip to BBNP in mid January and make all my reservations. I assume the pandemic will either greatly improve by then as a few people get vaccinated and we begin to get on the downward slope of the # of cases, or it will continue to explode, in which case I will cancel.

I decided that if I go on the trip, I will bring enough supplies for the entire trip so that I only have to stop for fuel, which is contactless pay at the pump. I feel very safe from Covid hiking, its outside, I step off the trail when approaching hikers need to pass and can also pull up a mask if needed. I can be completely self contained, and will do that.

I never though of the having an accident component and needing medical care, but in 22 years as a full -time RVer, on the road, I've only had two motor vehicle accidents, one was just a minor one, no medical staff involved, the second was a roll over accident at 70 mph, which required EMTs on the scene, but no other medical care. So I'll roll the dice on the accident component , plus my odds are probably the same driving to the grocery store locally to pick up groceries. 

I practice all the recommended Covid precautions, I don't do anything except go to the grocery store every 2 weeks, hike locally, I'm retired, cook meals at home and have very little contact with my neighbors and then its outdoors. Therefore I feel my odds of bringing Covid to another community are close to zero.

Lastly, locally, I still see people not wearing masks, or not wearing them properly and have still met folks that think this is blown out of proportion. I don't get it. Last night's news announced that there were only 23 ICU beds available in the entire state of NM. So maybe I'm better off being someone else, who knows.

Be safe out there

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:48 PM

Good call Patrick. We are facing a similar issue. We have a new rig being built in South Carolina. Should be done in February. Our plan was to fly back there and drive it home. But with the way this virus is getting out of control and me being one of those people with a "compromised immune system", flying and driving across country probably isn't a good idea right now.

It can be delivered on a flatbed...for $6-7k. Yikes!

I have a niece that, with her partner,  transports sailboats for people . They are willing to do it for us. But if we are concerned about the risk to us, why would we be willing to put someone else at risk?

So, yes, this whole covid thing is leading to a lot of tough decisions for a lot of people

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:28 PM

With the numbers spiking the way they are, I don't think this is the time for any long trips. I've been hanging out at our private fishing club on the Yuba River. It's great to have a place to go and camp, fish and relax.

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:00 PM

Try having a job..  Talk about scary. 
Sitting at a desk w/ members of the public walking up all day long.  The risk of losing my job if I take off sick.  Other employees coming back to work, still very sick, because if they missed one more day they'd have to be replaced.  Have to have the seat filled, and if it's not the covid spreading employee, it will be someone else. 

If you're able to make decisions about being exposed, feel very grateful. 

Thank you for sharing that angle.  It is most difficult for your position and for others that must work with the public to protect yourself.

Being retired does give one some options to avoid people.  Stay safe!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:55 PM

Good call Patrick. We are facing a similar issue. We have a new rig being built in South Carolina. Should be done in February. Our plan was to fly back there and drive it home. But with the way this virus is getting out of control and me being one of those people with a "compromised immune system", flying and driving across country probably isn't a good idea right now.

It can be delivered on a flatbed...for $6-7k. Yikes!

I have a niece that, with her partner,  transports sailboats for people . They are willing to do it for us. But if we are concerned about the risk to us, why would we be willing to put someone else at risk?

So, yes, this whole covid thing is leading to a lot of tough decisions for a lot of people

Good call Ted definitely not worth the risk especially in your case.

Stay safe my friend.

Did you see the story about the next release of Pliny the Younger?

Cheers.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:59 PM

Things are tightening up here on the East Coast as well with NC and VA  tightening restrictions.

We have postponed any overlanding trips until at least the spring as we have added incentive to stay healthy....

We just welcomed our first granddaughter into the world last week and have promised to remain as isolated as possible between visits to minimize any chance of contamination.

On the good news side I heard today that Canada has approved the vaccine in their country so assuming that we get approval maybe as soon as this weekend we all might ba able to travel freely by this summer...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:29 AM

Things are tightening up here on the East Coast as well with NC and VA  tightening restrictions.

We have postponed any overlanding trips until at least the spring as we have added incentive to stay healthy....

We just welcomed our first granddaughter into the world last week and have promised to remain as isolated as possible between visits to minimize any chance of contamination.

On the good news side I heard today that Canada has approved the vaccine in their country so assuming that we get approval maybe as soon as this weekend we all might ba able to travel freely by this summer...

Congratulations on your granddaughter! Let's all hope that in a few months we will  look back on 2020 as just a fading bad memory!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users